Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Page 16

post #226 of 1528
Based upon limited initial listening...

-the HF-2 is the closest thing tonally to the HP-1000 sound, in the midrange and top end (except for the PS1000 but that's $1600). The upper midrange to treble area is seamless, no more accentuation of sibilants. There is more treble detail with the HF-2 than with the brighter Grados. Brightness masks treble detail, it does not accentuate it.

-the bass is even-handed, does not call attention to itself but seems a bit blurred compared to my SR200 and SR60.

- the soundstage is believable, and everything gels musically without a warm fuzzy character holding it together.

- at times I detect a very slight honky character to the midrange/upper midrange. I attribute this to the wood surrounding the driver. I get the same "honk" on the RS-1. No honk at all on the 325i, but it is beaten in the other areas, except perhaps the bass.

- I detect a bit of a "reined-in" characteristic to the overall sound, compared to the 225, RS-1 and SR60. The music does not "dance out" the way it does with those. But again, this is initial listening and might require some adjustment and deprogramming from acquired sonic expectations.

I'll do some further listening and report back.
post #227 of 1528
Interesting impressions, Beagle. Much appreciated. Perhaps you could elaborate on the bass--do you mean to say it's not especially detailed?
post #228 of 1528
I agree with you beagle, about brightness masking detail. I think the HP1000 is by far the most detailed grado. While more prominent details are in your face with other models, the even presentation of the HP1K makes much more subtle details available because they are not thrown into the shaddow by other frequencies.

I haven't spent much time with the PS1, because at meets, I don't see the point, because going from the HP1000 to the PS1 just makes the PS1 sound cold and off balance to me.

And I do not have a vintage RS1 to compare these HF2 with directly (my previous favorite John Grado) but other than the vintage RS1, I think these are the best phones John has ever made. I have never been able to listen with bowl pads without turning the volume down to hushed levels, or without pain. This is the first time I have tolerated them, and beyond that, I'm enjoying them quite a bit at this point.

They still have an aggresive sound signature, but they maintain much more smoothness in the upper mids/ treble, and are almost never harsh, I'm very sensitive to harshness mind you, and feel that such phones as the AD2000, DT880, and K701 are harsh. the HF2 is definitely intense, some sounds stick out, and get close, but they don't seem to jab, they are just very crisp. Listening to Led Zeppelin now, and actually, they are still sharper than I like, but I'm of a softie

I feel as though it is the first time I am able to appreciate John's vision.

I think they sound fairly open in the sideways direction, away from the ears moreso than other grados. But the aggressive signature does make them sound a bit congested to me, as though notes are pushed into a couple peaks, instead of given room to breath and exist in a wider space. We'll see how that changes with "burn in"...

I think those who like John Grado's sound will absolutely love these, as to me, with bowls, they beat the RS1.
post #229 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
the other thing i noticed was that the grado "shout" in the upper midrange has been definitely toned down


As I listen to my Rs1i saying to myself I'm very happy with the sound ~ the trademark grado brightness is something I've wanted toned down since I first heard the sr60.
post #230 of 1528
From my discussions with Todd at canjam, I think it's safe to say these are Todd's vision, not John's
post #231 of 1528
Any comparisons to the MS-Pro?
post #232 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Based upon limited initial listening...

-the HF-2 is the closest thing tonally to the HP-1000 sound, in the midrange and top end (except for the PS1000 but that's $1600). The upper midrange to treble area is seamless, no more accentuation of sibilants. There is more treble detail with the HF-2 than with the brighter Grados. Brightness masks treble detail, it does not accentuate it.

-the bass is even-handed, does not call attention to itself but seems a bit blurred compared to my SR200 and SR60.

- the soundstage is believable, and everything gels musically without a warm fuzzy character holding it together.

- at times I detect a very slight honky character to the midrange/upper midrange. I attribute this to the wood surrounding the driver. I get the same "honk" on the RS-1. No honk at all on the 325i, but it is beaten in the other areas, except perhaps the bass.

- I detect a bit of a "reined-in" characteristic to the overall sound, compared to the 225, RS-1 and SR60. The music does not "dance out" the way it does with those. But again, this is initial listening and might require some adjustment and deprogramming from acquired sonic expectations.

I'll do some further listening and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiComm4 View Post
Interesting impressions, Beagle. Much appreciated. Perhaps you could elaborate on the bass--do you mean to say it's not especially detailed?
I posted in my first impressions there was a bit of a "bass cloud" which I would define as poorly detailed/defined bass that hangs over the music - that clearly IMPROVED with burn-in, and is great bass now.
post #233 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I posted in my first impressions there was a bit of a "bass cloud" which I would define as poorly detailed/defined bass that hangs over the music - that clearly IMPROVED with burn-in, and is great bass now.
Good to hear. How does the bass compare to the HD650s (phones I'm most experienced with)?
post #234 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiComm4 View Post
Interesting impressions, Beagle. Much appreciated. Perhaps you could elaborate on the bass--do you mean to say it's not especially detailed?
It's there, you can hear it, it's nicely balanced but does not (yet) seem as solid and defined as the other Grados I referred to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post
I agree with you beagle, about brightness masking detail. I think the HP1000 is by far the most detailed grado. While more prominent details are in your face with other models, the even presentation of the HP1K makes much more subtle details available because they are not thrown into the shaddow by other frequencies.
Well put. To me, detail is when you hear the natural timbre of voice and instrument, and you don't really hear "bass" or "treble".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I posted in my first impressions there was a bit of a "bass cloud" which I would define as poorly detailed/defined bass that hangs over the music - that clearly IMPROVED with burn-in, and is great bass now.
This is good to know. I've only a couple of hours on them.
post #235 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourc View Post
Good to hear. How does the bass compare to the HD650s (phones I'm most experienced with)?
I think it is much better than the HD650 bass, which seemed to have a higher peak resonance than the HF-2 bass peak resonance. The HF-2 have a low deep kick to the bass.
post #236 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I think it is much better than the HD650 bass, which seemed to have a higher peak resonance than the HF-2 bass peak resonance. The HF-2 have a low deep kick to the bass.
Not that the HD650 has the best sounding bass, but this has me even more excited. Thanks for the impressions HA.
post #237 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I posted in my first impressions there was a bit of a "bass cloud" which I would define as poorly detailed/defined bass that hangs over the music - that clearly IMPROVED with burn-in, and is great bass now.
that is definitely good to hear. mines only has about 10 hours so far...but i do get a feeling that it's still a bit congested or "veiled" and not as open and airy as my other grado's yet.
post #238 of 1528
I am REALLY thinking of getting these tomorrow morning (waiting for my paycheck to clear).

They would make great work cans for me since everyone at my work wears headphones.

I am in process of getting a decent source for work too and well... my brother is being the little devil inside my head, only outside in the real world.

Seriously, convince me why I should not get these....my wallet would thank you.
post #239 of 1528
Screw it, saw that there were less than 8 left....bought it.
post #240 of 1528
Germania: Just a quick note, there are like less than 5 left. If you are planning to get one, you better hurry up before you are put onto the waiting list. Maybe they are all gone, but just hope I guess.

Edit: Nevermind then, hope you get it and aren't on the waiting list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread