or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-DX3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-DX3 - Page 5

post #61 of 110
Wow, that's a really nice dealio. I'd get on it if I didn't already have one
post #62 of 110
Quote:
As far as I can tell from hearing peoples reviews on the DX3 they really benefit from a desktop amp.
I've read this quite a bit as well. I assume you are referring to quality of sound as well as volume? How much would one need to spend on an amp for the DX3 to reach its potential? Would a headphone amp on a stereo system do the job? I know it depends on the stereo system; I have limited access to some stereo receivers at my school library, I just don't remember the model numbers. I'll check and edit when I get that information. How much would quality be reduced running the DX3 straight out of a laptop, ipod or with some cheap portable headphone amp (e.g. Fiio E5)?

I have basically narrowed my search down to the DX3 and the SRH840, and have found no direct comparisons between the two. The velour padding on the DX3 is very tempting. I don't recall reading any impressions of the DX3 and classical music. Any comments on that? I know I won't be getting the soundstage of the AD700, but I'm really looking just for good instrument separation (for live recordings), balance across the spectrum, and accuracy to the source. I want to avoid at all costs the cupiness and boxiness in the mid-ranges that I've read often plague closed headphones. In short, I want closed headphones that sound open.

Thanks
post #63 of 110
the dx3 has great soundstage and seperation. however, it needs a decent amp to shine, it will sound bright with no bass straight from a low power source. a decent stereo receiver should do this, or at least a small desktop -not portable- amp.


as for comparisons- not many peeps have the dx3, and the shure cans are too new and faddy to get any decent opinions (the peeps that have them say they are good for everything from classical music to underwater brain surgery!)
post #64 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
as for comparisons- not many peeps have the dx3, and the shure cans are too new and faddy to get any decent opinions (the peeps that have them say they are good for everything from classical music to underwater brain surgery!)
^ lol.

Personally, I think the DX3 is just borderline passable from a half-decent portable amp - mini3 for example. It stops feeling underpowered around that point. And no, the DX3s do not sound like closed headphones.
post #65 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
the dx3 has great soundstage and seperation. however, it needs a decent amp to shine, it will sound bright with no bass straight from a low power source. a decent stereo receiver should do this, or at least a small desktop -not portable- amp.

I've gotten a good result with iPod EQ set to Acoustic for the DX3 and DX1 without amping.
post #66 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post
the dx3 has great soundstage and seperation. however, it needs a decent amp to shine, it will sound bright with no bass straight from a low power source. a decent stereo receiver should do this, or at least a small desktop -not portable- amp.


as for comparisons- not many peeps have the dx3, and the shure cans are too new and faddy to get any decent opinions (the peeps that have them say they are good for everything from classical music to underwater brain surgery!)
Thanks for the response. Would the newness and faddiness affect even the more experienced members of the community? Skylab had very positive things to say about them (something like: there was little evidence that these were closed cans, other than their very good isolation). Also, this comparison of closed cans didn't seem hyped in the least bit. I do know what you're saying about a lot of the comments being thrown around on the SRH840 impressions thread, comments I have trained myself to ignore.

Quote:
Personally, I think the DX3 is just borderline passable from a half-decent portable amp - mini3 for example. It stops feeling underpowered around that point. And no, the DX3s do not sound like closed headphones.
Thanks for the info.

How much would you say I would need to spend to make good use of the DX3? I have trouble wording questions like these because, obviously, to use any headphone to its "full potential" you'd want a $10,000 system. I guess my question would be: how much would be a practical amount to spend to make the DX3 sound like the DX3? Vague, but at least we won't overshoot my price point by a million dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan13 View Post
I've gotten a good result with iPod EQ set to Acoustic for the DX3 and DX1 without amping.
So you acknowledge that, without EQ, the DX3 does sound weak/bright/underpowered directly out of your ipod?
post #67 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossling View Post
How much would you say I would need to spend to make good use of the DX3? I have trouble wording questions like these because, obviously, to use any headphone to its "full potential" you'd want a $10,000 system. I guess my question would be: how much would be a practical amount to spend to make the DX3 sound like the DX3? Vague, but at least we won't overshoot my price point by a million dollars.
Like i said, the mini3 is the bare minimum - the point at which I'm able to stop saying "needs more power". Driven by a mini3 they are already the bet sub-$150 headphones I've heard. You'd probably want a low- or mid-end desktop amp to get truly great performance out of them, but I don't have such a system available for testing. Coming soon though.
post #68 of 110
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossling View Post


So you acknowledge that, without EQ, the DX3 does sound weak/bright/underpowered directly out of your ipod?
As much as any other headphone sounds underpowered straight off an iPod. Lately though I've been using the DX1 unamped off my iPod 5.5, and the DX3 off my integrated amp.
I was listening to The Lodge by Agalloch with iPod and DX1, and was impressed with the bowed bass.
post #69 of 110
I run my DX3 off a mini^3 and have very few complaints. The bass has depth and control and the upper range is detailed without being overly bright. The mids, though, could be smoother and have better presence, but that could be me just searching for niggling details to complain about.
post #70 of 110
Thread Starter 
What kinds of music do you use them for?
post #71 of 110
I listen to jazz (everything from acid to bebop and avant garde), funk, folk/Americana, soul and old-school R&B, rock (nothing overly hard, though), world beat and some very corny pop.
post #72 of 110
I saw the $69.99 clearance price last week too, and I'd grab a pair if I had anything more powerful than my cmoy. I have plans to build a desktop amp sometime, but I figure it won't be for a few months so I decided it wouldn't be worth it.
post #73 of 110
mini^3 is like 100 USD right? That would be too much for me. I've read that the HADX3 is a giant step up from the RX-700, but that the D2000 are probably still better than the HADX3. I've also read that some prefer the RX-700 over the D2000. The fact that the RX-700 could even compare with the D2000 (a major contender in the ~$200 range). Any other thoughts on the RX-700 for my criteria (a relatively easy to drive open-sounding closed headphone; good with classical)?
post #74 of 110
Sorry, but the RX700 do not sound open. Taking out the foam in the cups helps, but not by much. I think the DX1 will work much better for you (and it can run allright unamped).
post #75 of 110
I was under the impression that slipping foam under the pads increases soundstage as seen here. Were the RX700's you heard modded?

I'm a little concerned about the extreme brightness I've read that the DX1 has. Would software EQ be able to alleviate these problems? Also, is it possible to replace the stock DX1 pads with the velour pads of the DX3?

I've read that the DX3's mids have a certain "cuppiness" that is the DX1 do not. Can anyone else vouch for this statement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-DX3