or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 437  

post #6541 of 6594

There is no one mod/cable/source change/amp change/human sacrifice to appease the pagan gods for the HD800 that will magically satiate all the disparate tastes in audio.  For that matter, there's no one headphone that will do that, even with EQ.  

 

The "I like/I don't like/it's hard to do right/are you saying I don't know how to cut foam/I don't know how to answer that without insulting you/then you're insulting me, it's a duel to the death/why do you have a power snake in your pocket/I'm just excited to fight you over audio/that's just weird I'm going to slowly back away" argument is tired and misses the crux of the issue - people have different tastes and priorities.

post #6542 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

But the main motivation, is I to reduce listening fatigue.

So if you experience no fatigue from begin, then I guess that mod is unnecessary.

 

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

There is no one mod/cable/source change/amp change/human sacrifice to appease the pagan gods for the HD800 that will magically satiate all the disparate tastes in audio.  For that matter, there's no one headphone that will do that, even with EQ.  

 

The "I like/I don't like/it's hard to do right/are you saying I don't know how to cut foam/I don't know how to answer that without insulting you/then you're insulting me, it's a duel to the death/why do you have a power snake in your pocket/I'm just excited to fight you over audio/that's just weird I'm going to slowly back away" argument is tired and misses the crux of the issue - people have different tastes and priorities.

 

Good points.

post #6543 of 6594

I haven't tried the Rabid Dog mods yet.. mainly because I'm so happy with how it sounds in stock form.  It really might be the quality of synergy with the components upstream.  I even found it to sound quite good with Objective2.. soundstage gets more 'closed in' vs the G109 and the sound isn't as authoritative and technically proficient (namely, the bass).. but it's very serviceable.  Maybe it's my ears adjusting, maybe its the other gear, maybe its 'burn in'.. who knows.. but I find this phone incredibly enjoyable for practically every genre.  Been running lots of (streamed) hip hop through it the last couple of days and it doesn't leave me wanting (and I've got the HE-400 just a few feet away).

post #6544 of 6594
Here's a recently discovered song I just love on the HD 800-right up there with Jeff Buckley's 'Halelujah' rendition:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=b4BsB7u_dqo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Db4BsB7u_dqo

-Daniel
post #6545 of 6594

For fellow HD 800 owners and others, have you tried aftermarket cables on your HD 800? What do you think of them and which would you recommend? I'm considering getting a Cardas Clear cable, after hearing a lot of good things about it, or something of the like. It does seem a little steep, at $700, but if it improves the sound enough i guess it may be worth it. Getting a balanced amp is something different altogether that I'm considering.

post #6546 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

For fellow HD 800 owners and others, have you tried aftermarket cables on your HD 800? What do you think of them and which would you recommend? I'm considering getting a Cardas Clear cable, after hearing a lot of good things about it, or something of the like. It does seem a little steep, at $700, but if it improves the sound enough i guess it may be worth it. Getting a balanced amp is something different altogether that I'm considering.

I've got the QAudio cable and really love it with my HD800s. I've also owned the DHC Molecule (very nice) and Cardas Gold (also nice, but my least favourite mainly due to ergonomics).

post #6547 of 6594
I have an aftermarket cable just because I needed balanced. I don't have another to compare it to though. Honestly not much of a cable believer, though as I get closer to the end of my journey I will give it a go. Seems wasteful to do it while you are still making the climb. I would consider it a tweak that you do when you have the gear you know you will live with for a long time.
post #6548 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

I have an aftermarket cable just because I needed balanced. I don't have another to compare it to though. Honestly not much of a cable believer, though as I get closer to the end of my journey I will give it a go. Seems wasteful to do it while you are still making the climb. I would consider it a tweak that you do when you have the gear you know you will live with for a long time.

 

Yeah, i know it's a topic of debate among many people. I would have to think that it does matter some, and that might be dependent on the other components in your system as well. Guys with very high end systems seem to think cables can matter a great deal, but that may have other factors, including experience (age; being able to build up to such a system and thus notice a difference).

post #6549 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

 

Yeah, i know it's a topic of debate among many people. I would have to think that it does matter some, and that might be dependent on the other components in your system as well. Guys with very high end systems seem to think cables can matter a great deal, but that may have other factors, including experience (age; being able to build up to such a system and thus notice a difference).

I have always considered cables the "final tweak". For me, I needed a balanced cable and the Q is about as ergonomic a cable there is and very musical & detailed. So win-win for me.

post #6550 of 6594

I also believe cables should be used as final tweaks. There's much more potential gain in upgrading the source/amp.

post #6551 of 6594
Was listening to preproman's new 800s tonight and noticed they don't sound like they do (so sweet) until you put some power to them. Low level listening sounded thin. But the nicest thing about them were how much better the black paint made them look. The silver make them look more like a helmet. The black looks like a high tech piece of gear that they are. Beautiful.
post #6552 of 6594

Listening to Buena Vista Social Club's self titled masterpiece.. ODAC --> LP G109-S --> HD800... and it sounds gorgeous.  Imaging, tonal accuracy, instrument separation, inner detail.. everything effortlessly amalgamates into a beautiful musical experience.

post #6553 of 6594

First attempt at foam modding took "too much" of what I liked about the HD800 away.

 

Second mods I tried were the "Inner Fidelity Anax" template and I currently run those (without dust covers) plus the stock cable re-terminated to 4-pin XLR (thanks to purrin modding my cable at the last Bay Area Meet).

 

In fact, at the last Bay Area Meet (2012)- I tried to set up a "station" so that people could hear Benchmark DAC1/DAC1 amp vs. DAC1/TTVJ Apex Butte amp vs. DAC1/Apex Arete  amp vs. DAC1/Apex Peak tube amp (with a couple of tubes to play with):

 

 

 

 

This Bay Area Meet (2013 Edition) I'm going to set up a rig to help people see how different combos of DAC/Amp can influence the sound.

 

I'll have my "Inner Fidelity Anax-modded" HD800 available to try out of the Benchmark DAC1/ DAC1 amp, the Benchmark DAC1/ Modded Eddie Current Super 7 amp, and PS Audio PWD MKII/ Modded Super 7 amp:

 

I'm interested in meet impressions & seeing if anyone notices any differences as "night and day". tongue.gif

 

 

post #6554 of 6594

I would actually twist the argument on its head and say cable modification/choice should be the FIRST thing you do - because otherwise you are not accurately *hearing* the HD800s or your source or your amp.  This goes for all cables - power, interconnect, umbilical - not just headphone cables.  Once you have found the most revealing cables you can find (to your years) - and they form a synergy across your entire playback chain - then and only then can you swap components in and out and hear them and judge them and decide which to keep.  I'm sorry but if you're running muddy, smearing, compressing cables from the fanciest amp and source in town into your HD800s, the music you hear is going to be plagued by issues that have NOTHING to do with any of the components and you are going to make inaccurate assumptions and choices about the recording and the entire playback chain.  

 

On the subject of mods, I can only give my most enthusiastic endorsement to Stefan Audio Art's current HD800 modifications, which involve removal of key resonating surfaces within the headphone assembly as well as hard-wiring of their cable directly to the driver.  I'm surprised no one here is talking about the effect of Senn's crappy connectors on the sound of the phones. 

post #6555 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejnomit View Post

I would actually twist the argument on its head and say cable modification/choice should be the FIRST thing you do - because otherwise you are not accurately *hearing* the HD800s or your source or your amp.  This goes for all cables - power, interconnect, umbilical - not just headphone cables.  Once you have found the most revealing cables you can find (to your years) - and they form a synergy across your entire playback chain - then and only then can you swap components in and out and hear them and judge them and decide which to keep.  I'm sorry but if you're running muddy, smearing, compressing cables from the fanciest amp and source in town into your HD800s, the music you hear is going to be plagued by issues that have NOTHING to do with any of the components and you are going to make inaccurate assumptions and choices about the recording and the entire playback chain.  

 

On the subject of mods, I can only give my most enthusiastic endorsement to Stefan Audio Art's current HD800 modifications, which involve removal of key resonating surfaces within the headphone assembly as well as hard-wiring of their cable directly to the driver.  I'm surprised no one here is talking about the effect of Senn's crappy connectors on the sound of the phones. 

 

I'm interested in the hard-wiring mod.  How to get in contact with Stefan to get a quote?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread