Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 436  

post #6526 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentinHogea View Post


Those graphs are as useful as a world map drawn by a 5 y.o.

 

Too simplified. Too much smoothing.

 

And regarding the "fixed" issue. Just buy some felt tape and do a correct fix.

Resonances in a chamber will still be resonances in a chamber unless they're dampened away. Either by (1) modifying the driver or (2) dampening the chamber. The first is highly unlikely considering the costs linked to changing the driver. The latter, just remove the dust cover, therefore, nope, not that either.

 

Ergo. Replacement?

 

/V

 

If you have to tape in a 1500 dollar headphone to make it sound right, then clearly the manufacturer made a mistake..

post #6527 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

 

*Paid lots of money for a high-end statement headphone* 

*Listens, hears brightness. Gets graph, shows peak.* 

*Sennheiser fixes the "issue"* 

*I, and other earlier buyers are not offered a replacement* 


I like you, Sennheiser. My Momentum has become one of my most beloved items. But this is not cool,  IMHO. 
 

If you look at the graph submitted here by other members you won't see any 6k peak too.

I'm thinking that the correction done by Sennheiser on the graph regarding "diffusion field" or else are not optimal.

And I agree with ValentineHooga, when he says:

"Those graphs are as useful as a world map drawn by a 5 y.o."

post #6528 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

If you look at the graph submitted here by other members you won't see any 6k peak too.

I'm thinking that the correction done by Sennheiser on the graph regarding "diffusion field" or else are not optimal.

And I agree with ValentineHooga, when he says:

"Those graphs are as useful as a world map drawn by a 5 y.o."

 

But more and more people are reporting not hearing any 6khz peak?

post #6529 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

 

But more and more people are reporting not hearing any 6khz peak?


Actually it's not a peak for me, but a wide , smooth hump. Something that I may forget if I  don't pay too much attention. But I didn't notice Hd800 brightness, before I've read people mentioning it wink.gif

post #6530 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentinHogea View Post


Those graphs are as useful as a world map drawn by a 5 y.o.

 

Too simplified. Too much smoothing.

 

And regarding the "fixed" issue. Just buy some felt tape and do a correct fix.

Resonances in a chamber will still be resonances in a chamber unless they're dampened away. Either by (1) modifying the driver or (2) dampening the chamber. The first is highly unlikely considering the costs linked to changing the driver. The latter, just remove the dust cover, therefore, nope, not that either.

 

Ergo. Replacement?

 

/V

I'm perplexed.

 

I thought it was a 3 kHz peak that irritated people so much.  But then maybe it has grown up to 6 kHz!!

 

Me, no peaks in the HD800 causing any worry here.bigsmile_face.gif

 

John

post #6531 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post

I'm perplexed.

 

I thought it was a 3 kHz peak that irritated people so much.  But then maybe it has grown up to 6 kHz!!

If you read the FlySweep review, it becomes an 8k spike.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/6480#post_9123856

Quote:
G109 seems to offer an elegant tinge of smoothness that maintains the HD800's terrific transparency while gently taking the 'edge' off the 8K spike.
post #6532 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

If you have to tape in a 1500 dollar headphone to make it sound right, then clearly the manufacturer made a mistake..

 

Yeah, absolutely Sennheiser made a big error. However, they also created one of the absolutely best dynamic headphones ever created. So should we be thankful or disgrateful?

 

I look at it as follows:

 

1) It's a pretty benign flaw, that it can be fixed with 15 USD worth of material.

2) It's much easier to remove ringing due to chamber acoustics, than to add something that isn't there in the first place. E.g. create soundstage/imaging in headphones that are lacking, e.g. Audez'e's. Or create bass texture in the overly-distorted HD700. Etc. Etc.

 

However I do not want to start a flame war.

 

Objective evidence exists regarding the chamber acoustics of the HD800 (search for Analixus mod, arnaud etc. for lots and lots of info or check: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod) and subjective evidence exists of both ringing and not hearing ringing. It is to my knowledge not possible to remove ringing due to chamber acoustics without either changing the chamber or changing the driver. Neither has happened.

 

Those that hear none, are blessed. More music and less hard feelings. Those that hear it, well, there's a quick fix. redface.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post

I'm perplexed.

 

I thought it was a 3 kHz peak that irritated people so much.  But then maybe it has grown up to 6 kHz!!

 

Me, no peaks in the HD800 causing any worry here.bigsmile_face.gif

 

John

To my knowledge I haven't discussed wether it's a 3 kHz peak or a 6 kHz peak. Don't know why you're quoting me on that! :)

 

However: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

 

Further reading:

Anax 1.0: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577530/hd800-anaxilus-mod

 

All the best,

V

post #6533 of 6600

I really like my HD800 and its one of the earlier ones. I think the SN is in the 600's somewhere. No mods made the HD800 better to my ears without sacrificing something else. The HD800 as it is is my best headphone and sounds great

post #6534 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

 

*Paid lots of money for a high-end statement headphone* 

*Listens, hears brightness. Gets graph, shows peak.* 

*Sennheiser fixes the "issue"* 

*I, and other earlier buyers are not offered a replacement* 


I like you, Sennheiser. My Momentum has become one of my most beloved items. But this is not cool,  IMHO. 
 

Unfortunately, the scale of measurement is hardly indicative of anything. My graph does not have the 6khz spike on it visually; but it does have it audibly.

 

In fact, all HD800's have the spike, and the variance in SQ between one S.N to another is very negligible. It's the only small drawback on what is one of the most accurate headphones you can buy; and it's correctable.

post #6535 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I really like my HD800 and its one of the earlier ones. I think the SN is in the 600's somewhere. No mods made the HD800 better to my ears without sacrificing something else. The HD800 as it is is my best headphone and sounds great

 

 

^^^^^This^^^^^

post #6536 of 6600

Well, I think that the treble boost  of the hd800 is part of the "exciting sound"

and that taming it too much can make the sound uninvolving; so if you experience some fatigue, it's about finding the right amount of taming (with eq, or what some call "source synergy").

post #6537 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I really like my HD800 and its one of the earlier ones. I think the SN is in the 600's somewhere. No mods made the HD800 better to my ears without sacrificing something else. The HD800 as it is is my best headphone and sounds great

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

^^^^^This^^^^^

Did the both of you try out all of Anax's mods?

post #6538 of 6600

I don't know about rawster, but I have.

post #6539 of 6600

Hmm, the earlier versions weren't "idiot proof" (their words) so you may have to wait a bit longer Preproman.  Try the next version when it comes out.

post #6540 of 6600

I surly will,  If that one sound any better I'm all for it.  I know a guy in Dayton that does the mod.  So I'll wait until he does his.  If it's right, I'll ask him to do mine as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread