I really like my HD800 and its one of the earlier ones. I think the SN is in the 600's somewhere. No mods made the HD800 better to my ears without sacrificing something else. The HD800 as it is is my best headphone and sounds great
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on 8/9/14 at 2:55am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Cheapest Price for Brand New Sennheiser phones? Last post on 1/14/13 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread Last post on 9/22/16 at 7:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2 silver sennheiser HD800 upgrade cable one has to go Last post on 12/22/11 at 8:38am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- sennheiser hd 800 vs hd 598 Last post on 12/12/11 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 436
Gear mentioned in this thread:
*Paid lots of money for a high-end statement headphone*
*Listens, hears brightness. Gets graph, shows peak.*
*Sennheiser fixes the "issue"*
*I, and other earlier buyers are not offered a replacement*
I like you, Sennheiser. My Momentum has become one of my most beloved items. But this is not cool, IMHO.
Unfortunately, the scale of measurement is hardly indicative of anything. My graph does not have the 6khz spike on it visually; but it does have it audibly.
In fact, all HD800's have the spike, and the variance in SQ between one S.N to another is very negligible. It's the only small drawback on what is one of the most accurate headphones you can buy; and it's correctable.
Well, I think that the treble boost of the hd800 is part of the "exciting sound"
and that taming it too much can make the sound uninvolving; so if you experience some fatigue, it's about finding the right amount of taming (with eq, or what some call "source synergy").
Did the both of you try out all of Anax's mods?
I surly will, If that one sound any better I'm all for it. I know a guy in Dayton that does the mod. So I'll wait until he does his. If it's right, I'll ask him to do mine as well.
I have as well. I tried it for a week and in the end I removed it. Although around the same time I replaced the pads on my HD800 which made a bigger difference to the sound since my pads were pretty worn out by then.
Yea, I did as well. I'm probably one of those referenced per "idiot proof".
I can't cut in a straight line to save my life...
I'm hoping the RD 2.0 mod will allow me to finally try out the HD800 once again.
I tried the Anax mod (and other ones) as well. I came to same conclusion as paradoxper and preproman. It improves some things at the expense of others. I ended up reverting back to stock form every time.
There is no one mod/cable/source change/amp change/human sacrifice to appease the pagan gods for the HD800 that will magically satiate all the disparate tastes in audio. For that matter, there's no one headphone that will do that, even with EQ.
The "I like/I don't like/it's hard to do right/are you saying I don't know how to cut foam/I don't know how to answer that without insulting you/then you're insulting me, it's a duel to the death/why do you have a power snake in your pocket/I'm just excited to fight you over audio/that's just weird I'm going to slowly back away" argument is tired and misses the crux of the issue - people have different tastes and priorities.
- Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
- › Samsung Note 7 - just around the corner , audiophile phone? 6 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 9 seconds ago
- › open back headphones or speakers? 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Want to Control Speakers/Sub and Headphones Through Separate Volume... 3 minutes ago
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 5 minutes ago
- › Gleam Audio / NiceHCK DZ9 (1 + 8) Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 7 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › TFZ Series 1 by Hisoundfi
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...