Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 426  

post #6376 of 6600

One quick question though, how well does the sound improve with a custom cable on the HD800? Really worth that much money?

post #6377 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAspect View Post

Totally loving my HD800 amped with the Violectric V200. Can't wait to get the V800 DAC and be done with my audio quest.I might get teh LCD-2 someday but seeing as I am extremely happy with my current setup, it might not get one. Depends on the difference in sound signature but I can't prelisten the LCD-2 anywhere over here so I might just skip on this.

 

The LCD-2 and the HD800s have a totally different sound signature.  Lucky for you it's said many times the V200 pairs very well with both.  I think the LCD-2 would be a perfect compliment for the HD800s in your system.

post #6378 of 6600

Would you go with the V200 or the WA6SE for the HD 800s?

post #6379 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

Would you go with the V200 or the WA6SE for the HD 800s?

Of the three amps recently discussed, I would rank them with the HD800 as follows: 1. WA2. 2. V200. 3. WA6SE.

Of course, it kind of depends on what your objective is. I like tube amps that take just a bit of the shimmer off the top of the Senns. You may want the opposite. The WA2 is highly dependent on tube choice, meaning you can dial it in as you want. It's also excellent with some low-impedance cans, though it with all (great with Grados, not so much with Denons).
post #6380 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post


Of the three amps recently discussed, I would rank them with the HD800 as follows: 1. WA2. 2. V200. 3. WA6SE.

Of course, it kind of depends on what your objective is. I like tube amps that take just a bit of the shimmer off the top of the Senns. You may want the opposite. The WA2 is highly dependent on tube choice, meaning you can dial it in as you want. It's also excellent with some low-impedance cans, though it with all (great with Grados, not so much with Denons).

 

I want to keep the large, open, precise sound of the HD 800s but I want more bass and midrange body (I don't consider the HD 800 neutral here, so I want enough warmth to make them sound natural, not overly fleshy) and like you take off a bit of that top-end shimmer. 

post #6381 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by midoo1990 View Post

Been listining to my 800's for the last few days.Definatly a keeper.
no problems with the treble what so ever.i dont find it harsh at all. not like the k701.bass is great as well,perfect quantity and quality. not as overpowered,bloated to some degree like the lcd2.but im not a fan of the lcd2 since i think there are major shortcomings in its sound especially in treble,resolution and soundstage.i had hd650 for a year and thought it was better than the audeze due to its more coherent sound.

my only criticism thus far with the 800's is soundstage depth. its wider than deeper which can be a bit distracting on some materials. but then again,i think that will be resolved once i build the b22 in few months.
overall,very happy with my purchase.
I had a WA6 for a while with my HD800. Got a new amp and it was nearly a new headphone. WA6 doesn't do it justice.
post #6382 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

I really hear no difference between it with the M1, and driving the cans directly out of my iPad.

In that case, it would seem the HD800 may well not be the can for you...
post #6383 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescodway View Post


In that case, it would seem the HD800 may well not be the can for you...

X2

post #6384 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescodway View Post


In that case, it would seem the HD800 may well not be the can for you...

 

I have great experience in high end hi-fi and have heard lots of speaker systems, headphones, amps etc, including many STAX and the SR-009. The difference between the headphones have always been clearly audible and I can even swear I've heard a difference between USB cables. But I just can't hear any difference between my own sources. I have, of course, heard differences between sources and amps before (in stores when switching, the difference between my prior Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4) but my belief is that both the iPad and the M1 + dac all measure very flat with very low distortion, to a degree any difference one might hear could just be the mind playing tricks. I don't want to believe so but I can't deny what I hear. 

 

I have wondered if there is something wrong with my chain, like some power-related issue. I've tried getting my outlets grounded (ungrounded outlets cause problems with the M1) but without result. There might very well be something bottlenecking the audio, but I'm afraid I doubt it. 


Anyway, my hearing is not the issue :) 

I appreciate the HD 800 for what it does, dynamics and transients are very snappy and the sound is the most open and airy I've heard through headphones. But through time, I've come to realize their sound sig may not be what I truly like. So you're right about them not being the cans for me, in a way. I hope to try tubes, if that doesn't happen then I'll probably go with an LCD-2 or something instead. 


Edited by Lan647 - 1/27/13 at 2:48pm
post #6385 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

 

I have great experience in high end hi-fi and have heard lots of speaker systems, headphones, amps etc, including many STAX and the SR-009. The difference between the headphones have always been clearly audible and I can even swear I've heard a difference between USB cables. But I just can't hear any difference between my own sources. I have, of course, heard differences between sources and amps before (in stores when switching, the difference between my prior Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 4) but my belief is that both the iPad and the M1 + dac all measure very flat with very low distortion, to a degree any difference one might hear could just be the mind playing tricks. I don't want to believe so but I can't deny what I hear. 

 

I have wondered if there is something wrong with my chain, like some power-related issue. I've tried getting my outlets grounded (ungrounded outlets cause problems with the M1) but without result. There might very well be something bottlenecking the audio, but I'm afraid I doubt it. 


Anyway, my hearing is not the issue :) 

I appreciate the HD 800 for what it does, dynamics and transients are very snappy and the sound is the most open and airy I've heard through headphones. But through time, I've come to realize their sound sig may not be what I truly like. So you're right about them not being the cans for me, in a way. I hope to try tubes, if that doesn't happen then I'll probably go with an LCD-2 or something instead. 

 

^

post #6386 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


I had a WA6 for a while with my HD800. Got a new amp and it was nearly a new headphone. WA6 doesn't do it justice.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post


Of the three amps recently discussed, I would rank them with the HD800 as follows: 1. WA2. 2. V200. 3. WA6SE.

Of course, it kind of depends on what your objective is. I like tube amps that take just a bit of the shimmer off the top of the Senns. You may want the opposite. The WA2 is highly dependent on tube choice, meaning you can dial it in as you want. It's also excellent with some low-impedance cans, though it with all (great with Grados, not so much with Denons).

 

 

 

 

+1

 

the HD 800 pairs very well with the WA2 (the WA6-SE is a great choice too, and should be MUCH better than the WA6). the highs are silky smooth, a slightly warmer midrange (though still quite neutral and hd-800ish), and deep bass. 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 1/27/13 at 7:19pm
post #6387 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAspect View Post

One quick question though, how well does the sound improve with a custom cable on the HD800? Really worth that much money?

cables... controversial subject...

Seeing that the HD800's cable was built pretty well (excluding the inner wire), wouldn't be too sure. The 36 gauge is rather thin, but not sure if that'd affect the sound.

Then there's our good old Placebo Effect. 

 

Cables don't change the sound night and day, but a different pair of headphones will. <- just something to think about.

Only time I'd get a new cable is when there's a god awful cable like the SA5000's. 

Some people recable w/ cables $1k+... and you can get another pair with that money. 

Even the ones that run for 500, can save your money towards source/amp.

 

Just things to think about :p

post #6388 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

 

^

 

I could try getting my hands on a different DAC to check if my DAC is the issue? If not, then it must be something power related which I can't do anything about. I could try phase switching and power conditioners but that's it.

Any tips?  


Edited by Lan647 - 1/28/13 at 1:21am
post #6389 of 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan647 View Post

 

I could try getting my hands on a different DAC to check if my DAC is the issue? If not, then it must be something power related which I can't do anything about. I could try phase switching and power conditioners but that's it.

Any tips?  


I have a Stello DA100 FS in Sweden. Pairs extremely well with HD800 (been using it through a Zana Deux SE). Let me know if you're interested. Might sell it since I have a NAD M51 incoming this week.

 

/V

post #6390 of 6600

Does anyone have experience with 45 tubes?  I aks because Eddie Current is coming out with a new tube amp.  The EC 445.  It takes 4 45 tubes.  How does these tube do with the HD800s in comparison to the 2A3 tubs?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread