or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 417  

post #6241 of 6594

Add me to the club biggrin.gif  199xx here!

 

They must be over 20k now!

post #6242 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

Yes, I did,

The problem is that they are bringing their lack of ability to me and saying that I am deluding myself if I can hear a difference.

I am not trying to demean them, I just want to have them accept that I can hear a difference.

Some will NOT allow me that.

 

Actually you're describing the basis of most "discussion" on Head-Fi. "I can hear a spike in the treble" --- "Well I don't hear it--it must be your amp" -- "Can't be my amp; I have the latest recommendation" --- "Well you must have a spike in your hearing then--I don't hear it and nor do any of my friends"  --- "So it's not my fault if you've all got cloth ears."

 

I love Head-Fi.  biggrin.gif

post #6243 of 6594

The problem is that he probably headed over to the sound science forum.blink.gif

post #6244 of 6594

Some of my HD800/TH900 comparisons from the TH900 thread if anyone is interested. The usual my ears/rig variables apply:

 

First off, the TH900 is a great headphone. The very first thought I had when I first put them on was-wow what an impressive soundstage! Nice and big, airy for a closed can. I agree that they don't sound like closed headphones really. I do disagree that they can compete with the HD800s soundstage-not only the size obviously, but with the pinpoint, laser-accurate imaging. I also feel that they are not quite as detailed as the HD800, but they are no slouch either. I wish the bass was toned down slightly, although my ZDSE does such a great job of bringing the vocals out on these that it's not such an issue anymore.

 

I really have primarily 2 reasons for selling these, and 2 alone:

 

1.) Soundstage/Imaging. I've grown accustomed, or rather addicted, to the hyper-imaging, holographic soundstage of my Eximus/ZDSE/HD800 rig. To the degree that almost anything else sounds 'wrong' to my ears. I know some people harp on the HD800 for being unnatural in that regard, but I feel I've truly dialed in my rig to a point that I've found my 'nirvana', now the 009 becons. :/ It took me a lot of amps, and sources to get this right-Iwas never really a fan of the HD800 until my ZDSE arrived and knocked it out of the park. The TH900 has probably the 2nd best soundtage I've heard, but the gap between it and the Senn is fairly large in my rig.

 

2.) Neutrality. No, the HD800 isn't absolutely perfect in this regard, but it gets pretty close in my system. I've grown accustomed to this neutrality, and now find myself addicted to the beauty of music that is close to dead neutral, if not quite. I've been a fan of colored headphones in the past (AD2000, Pro 2900, D2000), but I think I've grown out of that. The TH900 just doesn't have the flat frequency response that I've grown accustomed to-not that I expected it to. I do feel that it is the first 'fun' headphone I have heard that is relatively neutral and natural sounding to my ears, and if one is looking for a high end, relatively neutral but 'fun', detailed can, with an impressive soundstage-then look not further. The TH900 is definitely the best I've heard in those regards, and will probably hold that crownfor some time, I'd venture.

 

A word on the ZDSE/TH900 combo: WOW! I fully recommend this pairing with full confidence! The Zana is truly synergistic with the Fostex (as well as the HD800). The mids really bloom here, and pretty much make up for the (imo) sometimes overbearing bass of the TH900. Comparing the Zana (NOS tung sol/round plate/black glass)to the DP1 headout is night and day. I feel the DP1 is probably more neutral, but the EC really helps bring up the mids quite a bit-which is a must for the Fostex imo. Kinda weird though since my AD2K sounded nealy identical from both amps-maybe because of the already-forward mids of the AT. I will try my Brimar again tonight, and see how that fairs with the Fostex. So far I've preferred my Tung sol with every headphone I've tried-although it's not quite as nutral or dynamic as the Brimar. I'll post a few thought later on that...

 

I hope this is somewhat informative for those on the fence-and I think anyone can see that this is a purely subjective (mostly) opinion of mine. wink_face.gif

 

-Daniel

post #6245 of 6594

I'd like to beg the collective knowledge of the HD800 thread for the following query: I need a second copy of the individual 800 freq. graph, what's the address on the request form? Thanks in advance.

post #6246 of 6594
Hi anetode,

The request form I filled in on the Sennheiser website (where the options are to register your product IIRC) but here is the address on the letter they sent back with my graph:

Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG
Am Labor 1
30900 Wedemark, Germany

Hope that helps smily_headphones1.gif
post #6247 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

Some of my HD800/TH900 comparisons from the TH900 thread if anyone is interested. The usual my ears/rig variables apply:

 

First off, the TH900 is a great headphone. The very first thought I had when I first put them on was-wow what an impressive soundstage! Nice and big, airy for a closed can. I agree that they don't sound like closed headphones really. I do disagree that they can compete with the HD800s soundstage-not only the size obviously, but with the pinpoint, laser-accurate imaging. I also feel that they are not quite as detailed as the HD800, but they are no slouch either. I wish the bass was toned down slightly, although my ZDSE does such a great job of bringing the vocals out on these that it's not such an issue anymore.

 

I really have primarily 2 reasons for selling these, and 2 alone:

 

1.) Soundstage/Imaging. I've grown accustomed, or rather addicted, to the hyper-imaging, holographic soundstage of my Eximus/ZDSE/HD800 rig. To the degree that almost anything else sounds 'wrong' to my ears. I know some people harp on the HD800 for being unnatural in that regard, but I feel I've truly dialed in my rig to a point that I've found my 'nirvana', now the 009 becons. :/ It took me a lot of amps, and sources to get this right-Iwas never really a fan of the HD800 until my ZDSE arrived and knocked it out of the park. The TH900 has probably the 2nd best soundtage I've heard, but the gap between it and the Senn is fairly large in my rig.

 

2.) Neutrality. No, the HD800 isn't absolutely perfect in this regard, but it gets pretty close in my system. I've grown accustomed to this neutrality, and now find myself addicted to the beauty of music that is close to dead neutral, if not quite. I've been a fan of colored headphones in the past (AD2000, Pro 2900, D2000), but I think I've grown out of that. The TH900 just doesn't have the flat frequency response that I've grown accustomed to-not that I expected it to. I do feel that it is the first 'fun' headphone I have heard that is relatively neutral and natural sounding to my ears, and if one is looking for a high end, relatively neutral but 'fun', detailed can, with an impressive soundstage-then look not further. The TH900 is definitely the best I've heard in those regards, and will probably hold that crownfor some time, I'd venture.

 

A word on the ZDSE/TH900 combo: WOW! I fully recommend this pairing with full confidence! The Zana is truly synergistic with the Fostex (as well as the HD800). The mids really bloom here, and pretty much make up for the (imo) sometimes overbearing bass of the TH900. Comparing the Zana (NOS tung sol/round plate/black glass)to the DP1 headout is night and day. I feel the DP1 is probably more neutral, but the EC really helps bring up the mids quite a bit-which is a must for the Fostex imo. Kinda weird though since my AD2K sounded nealy identical from both amps-maybe because of the already-forward mids of the AT. I will try my Brimar again tonight, and see how that fairs with the Fostex. So far I've preferred my Tung sol with every headphone I've tried-although it's not quite as nutral or dynamic as the Brimar. I'll post a few thought later on that...

 

I hope this is somewhat informative for those on the fence-and I think anyone can see that this is a purely subjective (mostly) opinion of mine. wink_face.gif

 

-Daniel


Thanks for your insights on this subject. I also have become quite addicted to the ZDSE + HD800. Only driving it via a Stello DA100, but either a NAD M51 or Eximus DP1 is soon to follow. I was considering a TH900 too, but since I hardly listen to the LCD-3 which according to your description fits quite close to the TH900 (to some extent at least), it's quite possible that the LCD-3 will leave the crib to hasten the DAC-upgrade.

 

Thanks!

V

post #6248 of 6594

Usually, when there's a sale like this on a normally fixed and highly priced item, such as the HD800s, it means a newly upgraded model is soon to appear.  And, with the somewhat recently introduced HD700s, it increases the likelihood, i.e., HD900. Plus the HD800's have been around for quite sometime and I'm sure Sennheiser is more than ready for some added income to their treasury.

post #6249 of 6594
What sale? o.o
post #6250 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post

Usually, when there's a sale like this on a normally fixed and highly priced item, such as the HD800s, it means a newly upgraded model is soon to appear.  And, with the somewhat recently introduced HD700s, it increases the likelihood, i.e., HD900. Plus the HD800's have been around for quite sometime and I'm sure Sennheiser is more than ready for some added income to their treasury.

Well, I've read rumors that Sennheiser is working on next coming model, but they

won't release it too soon since the hd800 still sells well.

post #6251 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Well, I've read rumors that Sennheiser is working on next coming model, but they

won't release it too soon since the hd800 still sells well.

sennheiser usual dont replace their flagships for years the HD600 is going on 16-17 years I believe. I think the hD800 will be around for a bunch of years also.

post #6252 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post

Usually, when there's a sale like this on a normally fixed and highly priced item, such as the HD800s, it means a newly upgraded model is soon to appear.  And, with the somewhat recently introduced HD700s, it increases the likelihood, i.e., HD900. Plus the HD800's have been around for quite sometime and I'm sure Sennheiser is more than ready for some added income to their treasury.

 

 

It's also possible that they messed up a little and didn't intend to discount the HD800. I doubt Sennheiser with their price-fixing are very happy with them about it. 

post #6253 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakka View Post

 

 

It's also possible that they messed up a little and didn't intend to discount the HD800. I doubt Sennheiser with their price-fixing are very happy with them about it. 

There are lotrs of peoiple discounting them not usually published . jan Meir sell them for 1140.00 shipped

post #6254 of 6594
If there was a new model coming, I'd guess they'd have released it at CES.
post #6255 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

There are lotrs of peoiple discounting them not usually published . jan Meir sell them for 1140.00 shipped

 

wtf

 

i paid like 1100 used for mine lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread