or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 390  

post #5836 of 6593
post #5837 of 6593

"See he french fired when he should've pizzaed. If you french fry when you're supposed to pizza you're gonna have a bad time..."

 

It's funny because it actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn View Post

post #5838 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by spickerish View Post

To which extent would the HD800 be an upgrade over the HD600 in my setup?

 

Currently my setup is this: PC--> Corda Cantate DAC/amp --> Sennheiser HD600 w. Cardas.

 

How much would I gain from a Sennheiser HD800, considering the Cantate isn't quite such a high-end DAC/Amp.

 

 

Personally, I think it's a very significant step up. Later, you can upgrade your equipment and the HD800 will scale as far as you're willing to take them.

 

After owning all of them for years, I found the HD650 was clearly a step up from the 600 in most technical measures, except neutrality of tone.

 

...and the gap between the HD800 and 650 is much larger than that between the 650 and 600.

post #5839 of 6593

Ditto.

post #5840 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by spickerish View Post

You have a unique way of expressing yourself, you do make a point, albeit with a very strange metaphor.

 

Indeed, there actually was a time not long ago in which I would have dryly responded to your question by posting my measurements (FR, CSD, and HD graphs) of the headphones, succinctly discussed my subjective observations (before measurements were taken), indicated where those observations conflicted with the measurements if at all, described nuances not captured by the measurements, and possibly mentioned a few synergistic components.

 

But eventually I got sick of the all the grief, the straw man arguments leveled against me ("I don't listen to graphs"), and the "my two cents" responses deconstructing specific elements of my observations.

 

I find that the poop, chick-with-dick, and boobies metaphors don't rile people up as much - while still allowing me to communicate the essence of what I wanted to convey. 

 

That being said, this thread is actually one of the better ones on HF. The appreciators of the HD800 are more honest about its flaws than those of other appreciation threads. And this has lead to some very meaningful discussion on how to get the best from the HD800.


Edited by purrin - 11/7/12 at 9:13pm
post #5841 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

Indeed, there actually was a time not long ago in which I would have dryly responded to your question by posting my measurements (FR, CSD, and HD graphs) of the headphones, succinctly discussed my subjective observations (before measurements were taken), indicated where those observations conflicted with the measurements if at all, described nuances not captured by the measurements, and possibly mentioned a few synergistic components.

 

But eventually I got sick of the all the grief, the straw man arguments leveled against me ("I don't listen to graphs"), and the "my two cents" responses deconstructing specific elements of my observations.

 

I find that the poop, chick-with-dick, and boobies metaphors don't rile people up as much - while still allowing me to communicate the essence of what I wanted to convey. 

 

That being said, this thread is actually one of the better ones on HF. The appreciators of the HD800 are more honest about its flaws than those of other appreciation threads. And this has lead to some very meaningful discussion on how to get the best from the HD800.

 

LOL, I'm both laughing and nodding my head in sad agreement.  I'm also getting horrid, horrid flashbacks of the HD700 thread as you describe this history.... wink_face.gif

post #5842 of 6593

I was wondering about the amping with the HD800. I bought a 50wpc amp for the HE6 but was wondering about if it was safe to try it with the HD800 to connect it straight to the amplifier. Volume won't be an issue since there's a knob and I also have a preamp but wondering if I needed anything like the HE adapter from speakers to 4 pin XLR?

post #5843 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I was wondering about the amping with the HD800. I bought a 50wpc amp for the HE6 but was wondering about if it was safe to try it with the HD800 to connect it straight to the amplifier. Volume won't be an issue since there's a knob and I also have a preamp but wondering if I needed anything like the HE adapter from speakers to 4 pin XLR?

 

Coin toss.  On paper if you're using a preamp I don't see TOO much reason not too.  But the HD800 is a lot easier to break, and if there's any DC on the line or any of the devices decides to throw a click to the amp, the HD800 would be in a bit of trouble. 

 

My own personal feeling is, if you're going to try it, be sure to use the HD-adapter or some home brewed resistor series.  I've been encouraged by a few folks to try it on my 140w amp....but I'm not that courageous.  The 300ohm impedance helps...but I'm not tempted to try my luck.

 

FWIW I started using the HE-adapter even with HE-6 just to mitigate loud pops from DAC mode changes etc. 

post #5844 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I was wondering about the amping with the HD800. I bought a 50wpc amp for the HE6 but was wondering about if it was safe to try it with the HD800 to connect it straight to the amplifier. Volume won't be an issue since there's a knob and I also have a preamp but wondering if I needed anything like the HE adapter from speakers to 4 pin XLR?

 

In my opinion -- and it's just that, my opinion -- the HD800 are not difficult enough to drive to make me consider plugging them directly into a 50wpc amp. The HD800 sound excellent with good-but-not-overly-powerful amps like the one found in the Grace m903, while the HE-6 take much more grunt to get the job done.

 

The risk/reward continuum is therefore much closer to the "risk" side for me with the HD800. Your calculus might be different.

post #5845 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

 

In my opinion -- and it's just that, my opinion -- the HD800 are not difficult enough to drive to make me consider plugging them directly into a 50wpc amp. The HD800 sound excellent with good-but-not-overly-powerful amps like the one found in the Grace m903, while the HE-6 take much more grunt to get the job done.

 

The risk/reward continuum is therefore much closer to the "risk" side for me with the HD800. Your calculus might be different.

 

In my experience I find the HD800 easier to drive than the HD650 - which I also own.

 

All it takes to drive the HD800 is an amp that can swing enough voltage - it doesn't need very much current. So pretty much all stationary headphone amps are fair game.

 

The HE-6 I've never owned, or even tried, but from what I gather that one requires A LOT of current - much like speakers. Which is also why it seems that people who favor this headphone drive it from speaker amps.

 

I don't think a 50wpc channel amp would match well with the HD800 - well, some 50wpc amps might but it wouldn't be something to be expected.


Edited by TwoEars - 11/8/12 at 1:32pm
post #5846 of 6593

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't a speaker amp actually not put that much power into the 300ohm cans? The HE6 works because it's low impedance.

post #5847 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't a speaker amp actually not put that much power into the 300ohm cans? The HE6 works because it's low impedance.

 

This is theoretically true... and would also theoretically reduce the benefit of using such a powerful amp in the first place.

post #5848 of 6593

With the HD800, amp quality matters a lot. Most high-end amps have enough power for them. A 50wpc midrange speaker amp won't sound nearly as good as something with less power but better quality, like an ECBA for example.

post #5849 of 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't a speaker amp actually not put that much power into the 300ohm cans? The HE6 works because it's low impedance.

 

This is correct yes.

 

A speaker amp is usually rated at (for example) 50wpc at 8 ohm impedance, and then (if it's a solid amp) 100wpc into 4 ohm.

 

But it wouldn't be anywhere near those 50wpc at 300 ohms.

 

Which is why in the case of the HE-6 it works well because it's low impedance like a speaker and wants a lot of current flowing through it.

 

In the case of the HD800 it doesn't need or want a lot of current but since the headphone is so sensitive the quality of the voltage swings becomes very important.

post #5850 of 6593

I just wanted to be able to see how it sounded with the amp but it is bought with the HE6 as it's pairing. I just wasn't sure if it was safe to use with the HD800 or not. I'm always on the lookout to see if my rig can get better at a reasonable cost. This gives me some opinions on it and I'll just keep the HE6 connected to the amp. I do have a good combination with the HD800 but the HD800 sounds better on the same rig than the HD800.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread