or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 381  

post #5701 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

 

That's quite odd. I've heard the HD800 you had at a meet and had no issues with it and works the same way as my HD800 cable. The Denon is a completely different story since the sleeve is another material where it kinks a lot. Usually I don't have an issue with tangles since it could be the way that you coil it.

 

 

Yeah I definitely don't think it's pair-specific...I think it's just the materials of the cord.  Try to flex it...it springs back.  I mean it's not horrible it's just mildly annoying. Oddly I don't have issues with the Denon cables at all (Though the y-split does kink on those.)

 

Part of the issue here is just that the cord is longer than I need which makes it more prone to tangle....but the way I coil it apparently must be at issue.  Again it's not an actual problem, just a minor nuissance compared to my Q.  Or my shorter Moon Dragons. But they're a bear in their own way.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

According to 6 Moons-it's actually a 36awg cord/wire...yeah I definitely thing a thicker gauge could really help at that point!

 

-Daniel

 

Eeew.  All that bulk and heft for a 4x36awg wire cable?

post #5702 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

I'm having mixed feelings on the stock cable.  Part of me really likes it.  It's aesthetically as nice as any aftermarket, feels nice, and IMO if you're running with an EQ, sounds as good as any aftermarket.  Senn finally shook the curse of the horrible stock cables on this one.

On the other hand, maybe it's just because I'm spoiled by the ergonomic flexibility and light weight of the Q on my HE-6, but this thing is completely unmanageable.  It knots like crazy, won't hold shape when I try to ravel it for hanging it all on my Woo stand, and the thing springs around like it's made of rubber or silicone....probably because it appears to actually be jacketed in rubber or silicone and wrapped with a wire....
I got my aftermarket cable not long ago just for ergonomic reasons. Like you said the stock cable just doesn't listen - if I want to roll it around something then it I should be able to do it. The new cable rolls around a toothpick and is much lighter. Plus I wanted longer distance between y-split and headphone connectors, the stock one was choking me at times.
post #5703 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BournePerfect View Post

According to 6 Moons-it's actually a 36awg cord/wire...yeah I definitely thing a thicker gauge could really help at that point!

 

Not sure if this is entirely correct. The wire seems to be around 28-30 ga on the outside but there's some plastic stuff inside so probably 32 effective.

 

It's definitely not as thick as the K701s stock cable which is probably 28.

post #5704 of 6594

Now that is thick headphone cable.....

 

post #5705 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

Now that is thick headphone cable.....

 

 

Holy cow!

 

Looks like someone wired his mains to the HD800s - lol.

post #5706 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfarrell85 View Post

No doubt overkill, but my infrequent desire for additional heft and body has been solved. Zana Deux (as preamp) feeding a Beta 22 and the HD800 thumps like an incensed gorilla. 

Good, good-I have the chance to try EC Super 7 into a particleman14 B22 build.

 

Might be a couple of weeks until I can listen, but this could give me a sense of the combination/power/sound potential... 

post #5707 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

 

That's an interesting and timely post as you'll see when you read on below. Before that I'll just say that I'm curious about the W3000ANV's - the person I bought my HD 800 from sold them in favour of a warmer-sounding headphone and was purchasing the W3000ANV around the time of the HD 800 sale.

 

I've recently been finding listening with the HD 800 to be a bit fatiguing again and have been experiencing more ringing in my ears than normal after using the HD 800 a lot in the past few weeks, even at my low-level listening volumes of ~70-75 db. Yesterday I had the insight to resort to something I did a while back but haven't done for a while - EQ. 

 

Armed with my HD 800's frequency response graph and a parametric EQ, I EQ'd my HD 800 to a flat response and the result is much, much easier on my hearing than the stock HD 800 sound. All the piercing highs are gone and there is more bass, and so far I'm finding the overall sound of the EQ'd HD 800 to be a more enjoyably visceral experience in relation to the stock HD 800. I'm finding that I can still using the EQ'd HD 800 use to peer into the smallest details of recordings but I have no compulsion to do so. To me this leads to more listening enjoyment than with the stock HD 800. It doesn't sound treble centric like before; it now sounds more cohesive and very well-balanced. As I now listen to the instrumental rock of Pelican as I type this, I'm satisfied and not wanting for anything else sonically. It's all there.

 

I don't think I want to expose my ears to the levels of treble revealed by the stock HD 800 again. As revealing as it is, to me it seems to be create more pain/fatigue than I want to experience.

 

Pelican ey, nice taste in music :)

Nice to hear the HD800 can sound good with that music genre, although somewhat eq'd.

post #5708 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

I've recently been finding listening with the HD 800 to be a bit fatiguing again and have been experiencing more ringing in my ears than normal after using the HD 800 a lot in the past few weeks, even at my low-level listening volumes of ~70-75 db. Yesterday I had the insight to resort to something I did a while back but haven't done for a while - EQ. 

 

Armed with my HD 800's frequency response graph and a parametric EQ, I EQ'd my HD 800 to a flat response and the result is much, much easier on my hearing than the stock HD 800 sound. All the piercing highs are gone and there is more bass, and so far I'm finding the overall sound of the EQ'd HD 800 to be a more enjoyably visceral experience in relation to the stock HD 800. I'm finding that I can still using the EQ'd HD 800 use to peer into the smallest details of recordings but I have no compulsion to do so. To me this leads to more listening enjoyment than with the stock HD 800. It doesn't sound treble centric like before; it now sounds more cohesive and very well-balanced. As I now listen to the instrumental rock of Pelican as I type this, I'm satisfied and not wanting for anything else sonically. It's all there.

 

I don't think I want to expose my ears to the levels of treble revealed by the stock HD 800 again. As revealing as it is, to me it seems to be create more pain/fatigue than I want to experience.

Yikes! I listen comfortably at ~60db and consider my low level to be ~50db eek.gif. And yes eq does wonders for the HD800 (even after being Anax modded). I tend to use my parametric eq only with poorly mastered recordings though. Then again, my anax modded HD800 out of the Continental isn't  as fatiguing as they used to be.

post #5709 of 6594

Hello folks, I first went to this forum for gaming headphones (MLE thread) and I purchased a few cans. I still game out when I get a chance but I am beginning to listen to music more in my spare time. I recently purchased HD800's and my wife thought I was crazy for spending such a large amount of money just for headphones. I never tried the senn's line but I got my chance when I was in Edmonton this past weekend so I bought them. I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and I been listening to tunes for a few days now(15hrs or so). I am not that great at posting reviews but I must say these phones are very clear and detailed. They have just have the perfect amount of bass for me and are comfortable for long hrs of use. I am very pleased to be a senn's owner and I look forward to hearing comments to further improve my existing setup. Thanks

post #5710 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerzhell View Post

 

Not sure if this is entirely correct. The wire seems to be around 28-30 ga on the outside but there's some plastic stuff inside so probably 32 effective.

 

It's definitely not as thick as the K701s stock cable which is probably 28.

 

Yikes!  I thought the K70x cable was the thinnest headphone cable ever made...the HD800 cable looks beefy on the outside.  Kind of sad that it's so thin inside.

 

I take it back, the Sennheiser tradition for crummy cables remains unbroken.  They just made this one look and feel better biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

 

Holy cow!

 

Looks like someone wired his mains to the HD800s - lol.

 

No kidding...that looks painful!

post #5711 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

Yikes!  I thought the K70x cable was the thinnest headphone cable ever made...the HD800 cable looks beefy on the outside.  Kind of sad that it's so thin inside.

 

I take it back, the Sennheiser tradition for crummy cables remains unbroken.  They just made this one look and feel better biggrin.gif

 

 

No kidding...that looks painful!

That is why I even got the tiny wire that connects internally the connector to the driver replaced too.

post #5712 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

That is why I even got the tiny wire that connects internally the connector to the driver replaced too.

 

Heh, I'm familiar with those hairline wires from HD650.  I'm not bold enough to worry about the last 1/4" of wire, but the 9ft of invisible wire preceeding it...that I may do something about biggrin.gif

post #5713 of 6594

I understand the importance of a quality cable but I'm a bit skeptical if there is any noticeable difference between an aftermarket cable and the stock one.

It's extremely hard/impossible to find a place where I can 'test' cables, even finding a HD800 dealer was a bit of trouble imo.

Does anyone know where I can find some graphs? Or has this never been proved anyway?

post #5714 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinV View Post

I understand the importance of a quality cable but I'm a bit skeptical if there is any noticeable difference between an aftermarket cable and the stock one.

It's extremely hard/impossible to find a place where I can 'test' cables, even finding a HD800 dealer was a bit of trouble imo.

Does anyone know where I can find some graphs? Or has this never been proved anyway?

 

Cable unbelievers will point out there's never been serious graphs proving it.  Cable believers will tell you that the wrong things are being measured by the unbelievers. 

 

Personally, I can hear the difference though it depends on the headphone.  HD650 is highly responsive to cable changes.  HE-400 showed a very slight change in the presentation of treble but nowhere else.  HE-6 showed very little change at all.  Similar cleaning up of some treble as HE-400 but to an even lesser degree.  For HD650 the cable thing is significantly sonically worth it, for the other two sonically it's almost irrelevant to me (it's different but not in a significant way.)  HD800...it's a Senn dynamic and it seems Seen may have, if the above is true, made the same error they made with HD650: Going cheap and using too thin a gauge of cable.  Even if you don't believe in magic cable geometry and the improvement in noise rejection, loss etc.....using too thin a gauge to carry all frequencies at a given current/voltage at a given distance without distortion or loss would indeed be measurable.   I suspect that's what was wrong with the 650 cables too...the gauge. 

 

The thing that takes me out if the wire is so thin, though is the huge hefty jacketing it's packed into to make it look and feel like a high quality cable (and, yes, to make it rugged for studio/stage use.)

 

Though the point of my initial posting was purely ergonomic in nature.  The silicone jacketed stock cable just doesn't do what I want it to do when I want it to do it redface.gif  It makes the Moon Dragon cables look well behaved! biggrin.gif

post #5715 of 6594

To answer the question. Yes, the HD800 is responsive to cable changes, especially when switching materials (stock is SPC). However, I wouldn't worry about cables until I spent a good deal of time and money on my source and amp. The stock doesn't sound bad IMO; there are just better cables out there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread