Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:41 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2 silver sennheiser HD800 upgrade cable one has to go Last post on 12/22/11 at 8:38am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- sennheiser hd 800 vs hd 598 Last post on 12/12/11 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTS: HD650 w/ SilverDragon V3, Beyer DT990, AKG K701 - NEW PRICES 11/1311 Last post on 11/20/11 at 6:34pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
Introduction First off, I’d like to thank the folks at Audio-Technica for the sample of the WS77 for review. Yes, I’ve been on something of a roll recently with Audio-Technica...
(caution: this is a long review (I know this because I just typed it out in Word and it spanned 7 pages!) I think this is a long awaited review of the 1Plus2s. I've had the stock cable for...
I have been looking for "THAT" amp, the one for me. I tried a WA6SE, and it had a problem with distorted bass. I have the Lyr, but looking to upgrade. The soloist is really the only other amp...
These are my first pair of cans and straight out of the package they look pretty amazing. When I first put them on I thoroughly enjoyed what i heard. Works well for bluesy songs and there is an...
Overview: The Beats Pro is the Beats' top-of-the-line model, with a lofty price tag of $400. However, its price, along with Beats' reputation with being a hated-on brand, hides the fact that...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 380
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That's an interesting and timely post as you'll see when you read on below. Before that I'll just say that I'm curious about the W3000ANV's - the person I bought my HD 800 from sold them in favour of a warmer-sounding headphone and was purchasing the W3000ANV around the time of the HD 800 sale.
I've recently been finding listening with the HD 800 to be a bit fatiguing again and have been experiencing more ringing in my ears than normal after using the HD 800 a lot in the past few weeks, even at my low-level listening volumes of ~70-75 db. Yesterday I had the insight to resort to something I did a while back but haven't done for a while - EQ.
Armed with my HD 800's frequency response graph and a parametric EQ, I EQ'd my HD 800 to a flat response and the result is much, much easier on my hearing than the stock HD 800 sound. All the piercing highs are gone and there is more bass, and so far I'm finding the overall sound of the EQ'd HD 800 to be a more enjoyably visceral experience in relation to the stock HD 800. I'm finding that I can still using the EQ'd HD 800 use to peer into the smallest details of recordings but I have no compulsion to do so. To me this leads to more listening enjoyment than with the stock HD 800. It doesn't sound treble centric like before; it now sounds more cohesive and very well-balanced. As I now listen to the instrumental rock of Pelican as I type this, I'm satisfied and not wanting for anything else sonically. It's all there.
I don't think I want to expose my ears to the levels of treble revealed by the stock HD 800 again. As revealing as it is, to me it seems to be create more pain/fatigue than I want to experience.
You should look into feeding the Senns with a different setup then. I believe it was mentioned before. Tinnitus from low volumes...that shouldn't be happening.
Either that, or you may have mild hyperacusis.
...or I may have been drinking too much coffee... :-)
Because they liked my Amperior review, Sennheiser UK are sending me the HDVA 600 as soon as they have them in stock, so I'll get a chance to feed the HD 800 differently very soon - I'm really looking forward to hearing the HD 800 from a fresh perspective as it really is a world-class headphone which can definitely benefit from audio chain experimentation.
That's definitely a possibility. I've heard the DA10 is slightly treble-orientated and I'd definitely say that the sound I hear with the DA10 / HD800 and other headphones is slightly treblier than 'natural. To be honest I haven't had the opportunity to compare my DA10 with other DACs, but I'd like to.
I'd want my HD 800 to perform as well as it can in a way that I find non-fatiguing, as it's the second most enjoyable headphone I've heard after the Orpheus. The Audez'e headphones I've tried are also awesome and enjoyably listening facilitators - the only thing that I wanted for with them, especially the LCD-3, was more treble extension...
I might just get a FiiO E17 in the meantime as a fun value gadget as I continue my adventure in audio nirvana, other EQ is really making a difference.
EDIT: It's gone now, it's so creepy thinking that things like that can be permanent (ringing).
Don't waste your time reading this post. ;)
When I woke up today, I noticed my ears ringing a bit.
What's strange is that I was at a technological museum almost all day yesterday and watched a TV show with my HD800s (on my PC) for around 30 minutes before I went to bed in the evening.
I don't remember any loud sounds at the museum, they were some really annoying RC cars though.
I don't have a dB meter, but with the FiiO E10 + HD800 what I currently use (saving up for HDVD800) regular listening volume is 2 and max is 3, sometimes 3,5 (once a week max).
This is on low gain.
Now I do have really sensitive ears, I almost never go to a party since my head and ears start to hurt really quickly at those sound levels..
I also hear this ringing sound is there is a bad PSU, one of those old TVs goes on (I even hear my neighbors' old TV), this is pretty annoying at times.
I'm not sure if I'm getting this because of the museum or because of the HD800. It shouldn't be a TV since my neighbors' TVs aren't this loud.
The sound level is the same as if you try to make a very, very quiet ssssssss sound.
Is this just random / bad luck or should I investigate some more?
Edited by MelvinV - 10/15/12 at 5:46am
So - are any of you guys running any aftermarket cables and are you noticing any difference?
Been pondering maybe a cardas or alo cable upgrade, or make my own with cardas or mogami.
The purpose would be to smooth out the highs a bit, and bring out the bottom end. If at all possible.
Am I being completely ignored here?
DHC sure seems nice! As does ALO - seems like a very similar product really.
I think as long as you get rid of the silver that's in the stock cable it should smooth out the harshness a bit, at least that's my guess.
Armed with my HD 800's frequency response graph and a parametric EQ, I EQ'd my HD 800 to a flat response and the result is much, much easier on my hearing than the stock HD 800 sound. All the piercing highs are gone and there is more bass, and so far I'm finding the overall sound of the EQ'd HD 800 to be a more enjoyably visceral experience in relation to the stock HD 800.
- Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 1 second ago
- › Creative sound blaster xfi, noise problems 31 seconds ago
- › Hi quality Fuses: do they improve sound? 41 seconds ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Replacing iTunes existing songs with ALAC versions 1 minute ago
- › Good quality headphones for iPod 1 minute ago
- › I have stopped using headphones, switched to Speakers and Sub-woofer. 2 minutes ago
- › LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport... 3 minutes ago
- › Spotify vs MOG 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe