The HD800 may sound similar to you right now, but they scale way higher than the K701. I'm confident you'll hear this for yourself as you upgrade your audio chain.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:46 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2 silver sennheiser HD800 upgrade cable one has to go Last post on 12/22/11 at 8:38am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- sennheiser hd 800 vs hd 598 Last post on 12/12/11 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTS: HD650 w/ SilverDragon V3, Beyer DT990, AKG K701 - NEW PRICES 11/1311 Last post on 11/20/11 at 6:34pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 374post #5596 of 660010/6/12 at 8:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5597 of 660010/6/12 at 8:47ampost #5598 of 660010/6/12 at 8:48am
The HD800 with a good amp will give you more than a 5-10% increase. Though the 903 I've heard is no slouch.Quote:Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
Well after one week of ownership, I am quite pleased. I have been playing them all all day while I am at work beginning the break-in process;but between listening and playing they probably still have only about 60-70 hour of use. I am guessing the headphones should be "broken in" in the 200-300 period. My pre-purchase rig was a Grace Design m903 and AKG K702s so I did do a lot of A/B ing between them and the HD800s. BTW, serial numbers are now up in the 178xx range for those of you you track such esoterica.
I think that they are as many of you know fantastic headphones for someone seeking a magnifying a sonic magnifying glass into the recording studio or recorded space. If find them very much in the school of the AKG K702s which at 1/5th the HD800s price are truly remarkable headphones. I find the Sennheiser's are buying me more bass information, detail information; both sonically and spatially and they also are more comfortable to wear. On a qualitative scale, I would say the extra cost sonically is getting you that last 5-10% of information sonically and spatially that is not presented by the AKGs. Such is the cost/benefit curve once you pass the asymptote which I would say the AKG's lie on. The last bit of information always costs you a disproportionate sum (diminishing returns).
I will be curious to see what a different amplifier will be able to do beyond the Grace Design m903 with them. I suspect the difference is similar to what I found with the AKGs. I might find that last 5-10%. I am still on the fence to go with a nice tube amp like a DNA Stratus 2A3 or a balanced SS amp like a AMG Audio Sigma/Beta 22. I think either might be a step up from my m903. Unfortunately, neither of these amps are readily available for auditioning like headphones (I compared the HD800s to the LCD-2s with library loaners). Both choices have 4-pin XLR balanced outs, so a custom cable will be in order as well.
Bobpost #5599 of 660010/6/12 at 11:19amQuote:
We're are likely saying the same thing. What I call the last 10% is likely what we spend our time discussing around these parts. Some folks might describe them as much more than 10% better. I think the differences that are meaningful to us are very much about the details of realism that lie here.
The AKGs are very good. I was just trying to say the HD800s where in the same sonically revealing, monitoring school of headphones. They are definitely better than the AKGs in a number of ways. I suspect as you say, they can be even more revealing under better amplification. I do wonder how much better though?
The m903 is a good single-ended, solid state amp, with low output impedance and fair power at 300 ohm (200 mW). Mike Grace designs high-end monitoring equipment and the m903 is the third generation product. That is why I am looking at the two amps that I am. Tubes will definitely be different and the Beta 22 is both balanced and has more power bandwidth.
:-)post #5600 of 660010/6/12 at 11:28ampost #5601 of 660010/6/12 at 11:48ampost #5602 of 660010/6/12 at 12:52pmQuote:
If I were you, sure I'd start with using that, but eventually it'd be ideal to upgrade lest you want your source holding back the new amp. The HD800s are microscopes and I feel every little upgrade counts.
Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 12:58pmpost #5603 of 660010/6/12 at 1:26pmQuote:
I am not sure that I follow you? Are you taking about recordings or my DAC?post #5604 of 660010/6/12 at 1:57pmQuote:
DAC + transport, and I'm not saying what you have now is bad. But, I see you're aiming for a high-end setup with your amp and headphones. It's only fitting you have a source to match so your chain's not bottlenecked.
Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 1:58pmpost #5605 of 660010/6/12 at 2:33pmQuote:
What do you mean by transport?
Regarding the m903 DAC it is excellent. Take a look at some performance data.
I do not believe that it is a "bottleneck" in any sense. It has balanced outs as well. So I guess that I am more confused than anything. There are very few units that out perform it in the consumer realm, hence my confusion.
Edited by iim7V7IM7 - 10/6/12 at 2:35pmpost #5606 of 660010/6/12 at 4:05pm
I agree, the 903 doesn't seem like it could be much of DAC bottleneck in any dynamic headphone system. But perhaps Shahrose could tell us why he thinks it is, from personal experience of course.post #5607 of 660010/6/12 at 4:49pm
I was going to post a response, but decided not to. I think it's better I don't veer far off-topic. If you're happy with what you have, then all the power to you.
(You can PM me if you'd really like to know my opinion).post #5608 of 660010/6/12 at 7:13pmpost #5609 of 660010/6/12 at 7:22pm
This thread is locked
- Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Mook Headphone Festival Dec. 2013 @ Singapore 4 seconds ago
- › Dogecoin is going to the moon 53 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 3 minutes ago
- › The Noble 8c reviewed 4 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe