The HD800 may sound similar to you right now, but they scale way higher than the K701. I'm confident you'll hear this for yourself as you upgrade your audio chain.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread Last post on 4/18/14 at 11:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 2 silver sennheiser HD800 upgrade cable one has to go Last post on 12/22/11 at 8:38am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- sennheiser hd 800 vs hd 598 Last post on 12/12/11 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTS: HD650 w/ SilverDragon V3, Beyer DT990, AKG K701 - NEW PRICES 11/1311 Last post on 11/20/11 at 6:34pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Bought HD598, was dissapointed BUT... (updated impression after 5-10h~ish of use) Last post on 6/23/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 374post #5596 of 660010/6/12 at 8:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5597 of 660010/6/12 at 8:47ampost #5598 of 660010/6/12 at 8:48am
The HD800 with a good amp will give you more than a 5-10% increase. Though the 903 I've heard is no slouch.Quote:Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
Well after one week of ownership, I am quite pleased. I have been playing them all all day while I am at work beginning the break-in process;but between listening and playing they probably still have only about 60-70 hour of use. I am guessing the headphones should be "broken in" in the 200-300 period. My pre-purchase rig was a Grace Design m903 and AKG K702s so I did do a lot of A/B ing between them and the HD800s. BTW, serial numbers are now up in the 178xx range for those of you you track such esoterica.
I think that they are as many of you know fantastic headphones for someone seeking a magnifying a sonic magnifying glass into the recording studio or recorded space. If find them very much in the school of the AKG K702s which at 1/5th the HD800s price are truly remarkable headphones. I find the Sennheiser's are buying me more bass information, detail information; both sonically and spatially and they also are more comfortable to wear. On a qualitative scale, I would say the extra cost sonically is getting you that last 5-10% of information sonically and spatially that is not presented by the AKGs. Such is the cost/benefit curve once you pass the asymptote which I would say the AKG's lie on. The last bit of information always costs you a disproportionate sum (diminishing returns).
I will be curious to see what a different amplifier will be able to do beyond the Grace Design m903 with them. I suspect the difference is similar to what I found with the AKGs. I might find that last 5-10%. I am still on the fence to go with a nice tube amp like a DNA Stratus 2A3 or a balanced SS amp like a AMG Audio Sigma/Beta 22. I think either might be a step up from my m903. Unfortunately, neither of these amps are readily available for auditioning like headphones (I compared the HD800s to the LCD-2s with library loaners). Both choices have 4-pin XLR balanced outs, so a custom cable will be in order as well.
Bobpost #5599 of 660010/6/12 at 11:19amQuote:
We're are likely saying the same thing. What I call the last 10% is likely what we spend our time discussing around these parts. Some folks might describe them as much more than 10% better. I think the differences that are meaningful to us are very much about the details of realism that lie here.
The AKGs are very good. I was just trying to say the HD800s where in the same sonically revealing, monitoring school of headphones. They are definitely better than the AKGs in a number of ways. I suspect as you say, they can be even more revealing under better amplification. I do wonder how much better though?
The m903 is a good single-ended, solid state amp, with low output impedance and fair power at 300 ohm (200 mW). Mike Grace designs high-end monitoring equipment and the m903 is the third generation product. That is why I am looking at the two amps that I am. Tubes will definitely be different and the Beta 22 is both balanced and has more power bandwidth.
:-)post #5600 of 660010/6/12 at 11:28ampost #5601 of 660010/6/12 at 11:48ampost #5602 of 660010/6/12 at 12:52pmQuote:
If I were you, sure I'd start with using that, but eventually it'd be ideal to upgrade lest you want your source holding back the new amp. The HD800s are microscopes and I feel every little upgrade counts.
Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 12:58pmpost #5603 of 660010/6/12 at 1:26pmQuote:
I am not sure that I follow you? Are you taking about recordings or my DAC?post #5604 of 660010/6/12 at 1:57pmQuote:
DAC + transport, and I'm not saying what you have now is bad. But, I see you're aiming for a high-end setup with your amp and headphones. It's only fitting you have a source to match so your chain's not bottlenecked.
Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 1:58pmpost #5605 of 660010/6/12 at 2:33pmQuote:
What do you mean by transport?
Regarding the m903 DAC it is excellent. Take a look at some performance data.
I do not believe that it is a "bottleneck" in any sense. It has balanced outs as well. So I guess that I am more confused than anything. There are very few units that out perform it in the consumer realm, hence my confusion.
Edited by iim7V7IM7 - 10/6/12 at 2:35pmpost #5606 of 660010/6/12 at 4:05pm
I agree, the 903 doesn't seem like it could be much of DAC bottleneck in any dynamic headphone system. But perhaps Shahrose could tell us why he thinks it is, from personal experience of course.post #5607 of 660010/6/12 at 4:49pm
I was going to post a response, but decided not to. I think it's better I don't veer far off-topic. If you're happy with what you have, then all the power to you.
(You can PM me if you'd really like to know my opinion).post #5608 of 660010/6/12 at 7:13pmpost #5609 of 660010/6/12 at 7:22pm
This thread is locked
- Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD announced 3 minutes ago
- › Misleading recommendations on HE-400? 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!! 5 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 7 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. LATEST Specifications just added.... 8 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 9 minutes ago
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob