or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 374  

post #5596 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

Source = iTunes or Decibel playing some high res files via Grace Design USB DAC (most of my material is 16/44 but I do have some high res stuff. My DAC is capable of 24/192.

 

If I were you, sure I'd start with using that, but eventually it'd be ideal to upgrade lest you want your source holding back the new amp. The HD800s are microscopes and I feel every little upgrade counts.


Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 12:58pm
post #5597 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

If I were you, sure I'd start with using that, but eventually it'd be ideal to upgrade lest you want your source holding back the new amp. The HD800s are microscopes and I feel every little upgrade counts.

I am not sure that I follow you? Are you taking about recordings or my DAC?
post #5598 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post


I am not sure that I follow you? Are you taking about recordings or my DAC?

 

DAC + transport, and I'm not saying what you have now is bad. But, I see you're aiming for a high-end setup with your amp and headphones. It's only fitting you have a source to match so your chain's not bottlenecked.


Edited by Shahrose - 10/6/12 at 1:58pm
post #5599 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

DAC + transport, and I'm not saying what you have now is bad. But, I see you're aiming for a high-end setup with your amp and headphones. It's only fitting you have a source to match so your chain's not bottlenecked.

What do you mean by transport?

Regarding the m903 DAC it is excellent. Take a look at some performance data.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_DAC_Amp&document_srl=11864

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m903/m903.htm

I do not believe that it is a "bottleneck" in any sense. It has balanced outs as well. So I guess that I am more confused than anything. There are very few units that out perform it in the consumer realm, hence my confusion.
Edited by iim7V7IM7 - 10/6/12 at 2:35pm
post #5600 of 6594

I agree, the 903 doesn't seem like it could be much of DAC bottleneck in any dynamic headphone system. But perhaps Shahrose could tell us why he thinks it is, from personal experience of course.

post #5601 of 6594

I was going to post a response, but decided not to. I think it's better I don't veer far off-topic. If you're happy with what you have, then all the power to you.

 

(You can PM me if you'd really like to know my opinion).

post #5602 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
BTW, serial numbers are now up in the 178xx range for those of you you track such esoterica. 

 

I got 18176 so the ones coming out of the german factory are probably closer to 19 or 20k by now.

post #5603 of 6594

Bonus points awarded to the person who gets number 20,000 and posts a picture.

post #5604 of 6594
Any other $1500 headphones selling in the 20k+ volume? Sennheiser is really making money with a TOTL item. Pretty rare to see these days.
post #5605 of 6594

I don't think Sennheiser makes $1500 on every purchase. At 20k units sold I would say they're coming to breaking even rather than making profit just yet, however the HD800 is nowhere near being discontinued and I imagine they will start making profit very soon in the future.

post #5606 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerzhell View Post

I don't think Sennheiser makes $1500 on every purchase. At 20k units sold I would say they're coming to breaking even rather than making profit just yet, however the HD800 is nowhere near being discontinued and I imagine they will start making profit very soon in the future.


I am pretty sure they broke even sometime ago as the industrial engineering process must have been refined to the point that it should be a low-cost manufacturing process. However, I can only speculate.


Edited by dukeskd - 10/6/12 at 8:31pm
post #5607 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Don't forget the source. Source source source.

 

Mediocre source + great amp = mediocre sound.


So true.

 

I rate the source above the amp in order of importance.

 

GIGO! wink_face.gif

 

And as for reaching 20.000 - that's pretty cool!

 

I wonder what the profit on each unit is.


Edited by TwoEars - 10/6/12 at 10:31pm
post #5608 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerzhell View Post

I don't think Sennheiser makes $1500 on every purchase. At 20k units sold I would say they're coming to breaking even rather than making profit just yet, however the HD800 is nowhere near being discontinued and I imagine they will start making profit very soon in the future.
Obviously they don't make 1500 on each headphone, but in the TOTL space, usually it's a lossy product designed to generate interest in a company because of what they can do. Look at the Orpheus, I can't imagine they ever gained a profit off of sales directly, but it showed what they can do and got people on board because of it. Now the Orpheus was a true statement product and never intended to be a sales success, but with most companies the top of the line is the statement. Right now that's the HD800.
Edited by Maxvla - 10/6/12 at 10:45pm
post #5609 of 6594
I've seen it posted on head-fi before that different incarnations of the HD 800 sound different and yesterday I compared my HD 800 (s/n 2xxx) to a newer HD 800 (s/n 6xxx) and definitely heard a difference in sonic performance between them. With my HD 800 there was more of a sheen on the treble and less sub bass impact; the newer HD 800 had smoother treble and noticeably weightier bass.

When I tried my Black Dragon cable, I liked the sound of it with my HD 800 but found that with the newer HD 800 the cable made the treble too subdued and the bass a bit too muddy for my preference.

This experiment again showed me how the right cable can definitely make a headphone sound better ('better' bring entirely personal preference). It also showed me how analysing equipment can give me a sore head and take away from enjoyment of the music, though obviously with the right equipment musical enjoyment can be enhanced.

Though I have enjoyed other flagship headphones such as the Fostex TH900 and the Audez'e LCD 2/3, all of which have prominent bass performace and can feel immensely satisfying to me, I'm still very drawn to the HD800 which gets out of the way and reveals the music so clearly in a way that seems to grab me deeper than any other headphone I've tried.
post #5610 of 6594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post

I've seen it posted on head-fi before that different incarnations of the HD 800 sound different and yesterday I compared my HD 800 (s/n 2xxx) to a newer HD 800 (s/n 6xxx) and definitely heard a difference in sonic performance between them. With my HD 800 there was more of a sheen on the treble and less sub bass impact; the newer HD 800 had smoother treble and noticeably weightier bass.
When I tried my Black Dragon cable, I liked the sound of it with my HD 800 but found that with the newer HD 800 the cable made the treble too subdued and the bass a bit too muddy for my preference.
This experiment again showed me how the right cable can definitely make a headphone sound better ('better' bring entirely personal preference). It also showed me how analysing equipment can give me a sore head and take away from enjoyment of the music, though obviously with the right equipment musical enjoyment can be enhanced.
Though I have enjoyed other flagship headphones such as the Fostex TH900 and the Audez'e LCD 2/3, all of which have prominent bass performace and can feel immensely satisfying to me, I'm still very drawn to the HD800 which gets out of the way and reveals the music so clearly in a way that seems to grab me deeper than any other headphone I've tried.

 

The break-in on these headphones is also quite substantial - I think people are talking on the magnitude of several hundred hours.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread