Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Meier Audio StageDAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier Audio StageDAC - Page 7

post #91 of 633
Too Funny!!
post #92 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttleboi View Post
In my opinion, the icons are a mess. I've worked with several technology companies that have customer-facing products, and interface design is always a priority.
This is where the consumer market as a whole, and the audiophile niche differ. The majority of us don't care as much about form as we do about function. Having something pretty to look at is all well and nice, but if we're paying a massive premium because the manufacturer had to hire an "experience designer team" to design his product chassis and forward those costs on to us, we're likely to look elsewhere.
post #93 of 633
If something works well? I can care less what the icons are. Have learned to deal with trivial things like that. More concerned with performance than the icons. Just me.
post #94 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA View Post
If something works well? I can care less what the icons are. Have learned to deal with trivial things like that. More concerned with performance than the icons. Just me.
Ditto! I'm looking forward to this DAC and it's find for me to have such a weird icon and too many thing at the front plate. As long as it sounds great, I'm totally fine.
post #95 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttleboi View Post
I am not sure what to make of your argument. Now, I'm glad you are able to understand your camera's "tulip" icon, because that is the universal camera icon for macro lens. Every manufacturer uses that icon for that purpose.

On the other hand, the icons for this particular DAC are ad hoc. You will not find the icons anywhere else because there is no standardisation. Thus, if one is going to put so many icons on the front, then the interface designer better do an outstanding job. In my opinion, the icons are a mess. I've worked with several technology companies that have customer-facing products, and interface design is always a priority.

And as for the boxers you are wearing, in your case there are an obvious GUI you can follow: yellow for the front of the boxers, brown for the back.

Good luck.
Oh hey, I got an idea, you can put yellow, brown and maybe green into your StageDAC icons, problem solved
post #96 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttleboi View Post
Now, I'm glad you are able to understand your camera's "tulip" icon, because that is the universal camera icon for macro lens. Every manufacturer uses that icon for that purpose.

On the other hand, the icons for this particular DAC are ad hoc. You will not find the icons anywhere else because there is no standardisation. Thus, if one is going to put so many icons on the front, then the interface designer better do an outstanding job. In my opinion, the icons are a mess. I've worked with several technology companies that have customer-facing products, and interface design is always a priority..
The StageDac doesn't use a universal icon because there aren't any. The Meier crossfeed is a proprietary feature designed by Dr meier himself, the upsampling and filter settings are unique to each DAC chip, and the inputs look pretty clear to me. The wm8741 datasheet doesn't even have a designated name for each of the filter settings. They tell you the corresponding pins, binaries, and four dozen graphs/tables listing the characteristics of each filter setting (p.49-61).

The product uses plain english on the front panel, along withstraight-forward symbols(which should be familiar to previous Meier product owners), and also comes with a manual describing the features.

Additionally, this is not a mainstream product. People who are ready to spend over a half-grand on a DAC I'm betting either know what they're doing or are willing to read about and experiment with the different filters and settings.
Seriously.. it doesn't look like you're interested in the product. Instead of crapping on this thread, why don't you go look for a product that satisfies your idea of a properly interfaced DAC.
post #97 of 633
I am just curious if Jan will have sufficient technical information and tips to introduce us how to use the filter settings wisely? I believe many of the users are not having the knowledge to justify each of them. A good education to the users may prevent any misusing, or worse performance due to improperly configuration.
post #98 of 633
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManAtWork View Post
I am just curious if Jan will have sufficient technical information and tips to introduce us how to use the filter settings wisely? I believe many of the users are not having the knowledge to justify each of them. A good education to the users may prevent any misusing, or worse performance due to improperly configuration.
Your ears will be a good teacher.
post #99 of 633
any news?
post #100 of 633
This looks like a very interesting product. I'm surprised no headphoneus supremus is reviewing this baby. I'd really like to know a little about it's sonic presentation.
post #101 of 633
It's not released yet . September I think.
post #102 of 633
Any idea what price range this will be in?
post #103 of 633
Jan posted this near the start of the thread...

Quote:
"I’m sure people would like to know some prices. Unfortunately I have not been able to calculate all costs yet but I do expect something of around EUR 500,- or USD 700,- for people living outside the European Union. Unfortunately people from inside the EU also have to pay 19% VAT so their price will be around EUR 600,-. Considering the technical and sonic merits I personally feel that those prices are very competitive.
post #104 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManAtWork View Post
I am just curious if Jan will have sufficient technical information and tips to introduce us how to use the filter settings wisely? I believe many of the users are not having the knowledge to justify each of them. A good education to the users may prevent any misusing, or worse performance due to improperly configuration.
AMB recently posted links to these papers on the y2 thread.

http://www.ayre.com/PDF/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...whitepaper.pdf

They're an interesting read and give some insight into the different filters
post #105 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Meier View Post
Intention of the STAGEDAC is to provide an extremely high quality DAC for a price that is as low as possible. Therefore it will not have XLR outputs which would have added considerably to the technical complexity of the device (due to the presence of the crossfeed filter) but that are normally used by very few people only.
Help, I'm one of those very few people!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Meier Audio StageDAC