I also compared the USB input to the SPDIF coax on the Stagedac and while they are very close you can definatly detect differences when listening carefully. I personaly prefered the coax as it I thought it was a tiny bit more detailed, especially in the treble. As you said the USB sounded fuller while the coax is slightly more detailed and brighter. I can easily understand why somebody would prefer one over the other.
Related Forum Threads
- Meier Audio Daccord Last post on 10/18/16 at 6:10am in Dedicated Source Components
- DACs with 2 outputs Last post on 2/24/11 at 11:34pm in Dedicated Source Components
- WTB: Meier Audio DACCORD or a DAC of similar class! Last post on 10/3/13 at 7:48am in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- calling all current and former Meier Stagedac owners? Last post on 7/16/12 at 7:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Bifrost vs Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC and Meier Corda Stagedac Last post on 1/17/13 at 1:58am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
FiiO x5iii Many times, there is trepidation when you sign up for a possible tour review, at least for me. Your hope is to not only be chosen, but to give an open honest review, under the...
I would like to thank Gibson Innovations for the opportunity to review the H900M. Above: H900M top, A800 below Above: H900M Before I begin,...
Yet again (with several more to soon follow), I find myself owing a great deal of thanks (and at this point...
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
Meier Audio StageDAC - Page 34post #496 of 6341/14/11 at 9:58am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #497 of 6341/15/11 at 6:32am
I listened to a fast rock track with male vocals in it. I got a shock as I suddenly felt that I don't know the guy anymore at all! The tone is totally wrong and the pace is a tad too slow!
I changed from the USB cable back to my Optocoupler toslink cable and the tonal balance is corrected. With my toslink cable the soundstage, imaging, resolution are all a step up over the USB. The only problem about optical is that the sound is a little thin. USB sounds warmer and fuller. It takes time and many different tracks to identify clearly the superiority of one cable other the other. Not sure if the toslink sound is due to the sound signature of Van Den Hul or the general trademark for optical cable. For the time being, the optical input will stay. USB is going back to box.
Maybe I will need a USB converter. Might curious to try Wireworld optical cable too =(post #498 of 6341/15/11 at 12:51pm
I've got a Stage DAC and Concerto on order. Should be here in a couple of weeks.
Originally I was thinking that I might want to disable the DAC's volume pot, so as to have two separate fixed outputs. That way, I could feed both the Concerto and my Woo WA6SE.
I might still try that, if it doesn't look I will do any damage opening the DAC up; but, then again, if the Concerto/Stage DAC combo is as good sounding and quiet as I've heard, the Woo might eventually be found in the For Sale section here at Head-Fi.
I'll be using 2 sources with the Stage DAC, also: my Marantz CD5003 disc player (coax) and a new Mac Mini with my iTunes library (optical). If using the Mini as a music server works well for me, the Marantz may soon be on the auction block as well.post #499 of 6341/16/11 at 12:50ampost #500 of 6341/16/11 at 5:27ampost #501 of 6341/16/11 at 5:38ampost #502 of 6341/16/11 at 8:47am
If I did run two power amps (Meier Concerto and Woo WA6SE), should I keep the StageDAC volume control maxed, and just use the volume controls on each amp to control loudness?
If I did that, would the volume output from the StageDAC be the same through both sets of outputs?post #503 of 6341/16/11 at 8:59am
I guess I've answered my own question; I found this in the StageDAC manual:
"The fixed output level of the STAGEDAC is 2.2 Vrms. When using the volume controlled connections the output level can be varied from 0 to 2.2 Vrms using the dial on the right front side of the converter. Volume is increased by clock-wise rotation."
So if the StageDACs volume control is set to maximum, both sets of outputs should be putting out the same volume. Has anyone tried this--that is, connecting two different amps to the unit?post #504 of 6341/18/11 at 6:10amQuote:
In theory, the DAC and cable would not changed the tone and pace of music - they just work passively. There should be something wrong in your computer side obviously.post #505 of 6341/18/11 at 6:13amQuote:
For the volume, the answer is yes. But if you don't need the volume, you can disable it then both inputs are identical in circuit point of view.post #506 of 6341/18/11 at 6:32amQuote:Originally Posted by ManAtWorkQuote:
In theory, the DAC and cable would not changed the tone and pace of music - they just work passively. There should be something wrong in your computer side obviously.
I guess its time to change one
I am not sure what is affecting the differences. Maybe its the USB receiver on StageDAC.post #507 of 6341/18/11 at 6:33am
@Man At Work,
Wrong. See my comment further up. Disabling the variable output also bring a slight improvement in SQ according to the manual.
@ Red jacket, My stagedac is connected to a Concerto and Darkvoice (variable) without problem.post #508 of 6341/18/11 at 7:15pmQuote:
Thanks for the response. So, you do have the stageDAC volume control set to max, then, and are using volume controls on both of the amps?post #509 of 6341/19/11 at 5:06am
- Meier Audio StageDAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Vintage Yamaha YH-5M at a great price 4 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 15 seconds ago
- › AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 1 minute ago
- › Custom EQ for Sennheiser HD 598 -- LIFTING THE VEIL-- .cfg files... 2 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a tube headphone amp with deep soundstage. 5 minutes ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 8 minutes ago
- › The DIY Discman Repair Thread 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear