Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone DACS for price point Last post on 7/10/12 at 10:11am in Dedicated Source Components
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Asus Xonar Essence One Last post on 5/18/15 at 11:41am in Dedicated Source Components
- RWA Isabellina HPA or Metrum Octave + AMP ? Last post on 5/31/12 at 7:04am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
V-dac modifications - Page 8
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #107 of 19612/13/09 at 11:07pmThread Starterpost #108 of 19612/18/09 at 7:53amCould you consult me about few more questions.
I decided to replace signal path capacitors.
For C147, C151, C51, C47 i found only 3300pF 63V polypropylene capacitors.
1. Is it crytical to have 3900pF or i can use 3300pF?
2. 63V - is ok or should be more?
3. Polypropylene capacitors are the best for C3, C4. But 47uF polypropylene is very big. So i will use ELNA Silmic II and i should setup it with right polarity. How can i find where + and - is? Or better to use Nichicon Bipolar.
Thanks in advancepost #109 of 19612/22/09 at 10:43amThread Starterfilin44
1. you can try and see how the sound changes and if you like it or not.
2. Higher voltage rating is better. It must not be lower in values than stock voltage rating.
3. From my past experiments, -ve should be facing the pcb board edge when viewed from the top of the board.
Hope this helps.post #110 of 1961/1/10 at 3:10pm
Power supply replacement = no big dealQuote:Totally concur with this statement. A dedicated high quality PSU will make a huge difference.
This is the supply that I bought:
Samlex America RPS1203 3 Amp Regulated Linear DC 12 Volt Power Supply
Any comments are welcome. Thanks,
Hukkpost #111 of 1961/1/10 at 5:20pmQuote:Hi
First of all i respect your tourney to avoid the output caps.
Just jumper it
People here are saying, "it's OK to remove the output caps of the VDAC as long as your preamp has input caps, because the preamp's input caps will prevent your speakers from getting DC" --
but, what if your preamp's volume control is BEFORE the preamp's input caps? Won't this send a ton of voltage to your preamp's volume knob, basically frying it?
Hukkpost #112 of 1961/10/10 at 10:42amHi,
for those in EU, who are going to buy and modify a MF V-DAC:
my V-DAC is for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...ac-mod-465535/
And for others, who already have a modified V-DAC:
I have also a browndog adapter with 2xBB OPA 627 on board for sale, which can be placed in a IC7 socket.
Never used and brandnew.If anyone is interested please send a PM.
Upgradepost #113 of 1962/25/10 at 3:22ampost #114 of 1965/1/10 at 4:24pmHello,
I modified my V-DAC using OPA4277, OPA2134, adding some Rubycon 1000uF and OSCON 100uF capacitors. I used also more powerfull supply-1000mA. It was wastly improvement reg. bass quality, details and transients. However entering this forum, I hoped to find schematic of V-DAC, but only some photos was available. Any of you have any idea where this schematic can be found?post #115 of 1965/25/10 at 5:53am
Hi I did some reverse engineering and have full schematic of this DAC. But without most of the values, as I did not need them. Schematic is little bit messy as I did not clean it up but again it was not necessary for my needs. I was just redesigning output stage (not only changing op-amps, but also caps and resistors) and supplying it with high quality shunt regulated power supply. There are some stuff left and I am waiting for few parts from farnell now to continue. If the results will be satisfying I will post them here. I will be also tuning USB receiver part as the implementation in V-DAC is really crappy. Beside this V-DAC is really cool device.
Edited by barmanekm - 5/25/10 at 5:56ampost #116 of 1966/1/10 at 1:26am
I want to mod my V Dac so that it sounds colder and more detail because i´m having a tube pre. My pre sounds very warm somethime too warm for me. Thats why i want a cold source to make balance......any suggest ?post #117 of 1966/7/10 at 4:33pm
Try OPA627BP in second stage (you need browndog adapter), and maybe LME49740 on first one. I am actually running 2xOPA1612 on first stage and LME49860 on second, but I am aiming to neutral and transparent sound. Analog stage in my V-DAC is powered by two independent SuperTeddyRegs at +/-17V. It was best improvement. Much, much better than changing opamps and caps. Now changing opamps gives much more differences and it is easier to find a differences. Sound is very smooth, transparent, full of details and with well defined bass. Lack of bass control and sometimes screaming highs was main drawbacks of V-DAC for me. Now it is a better source than NAD545. When going for cold sound and trying very detailed output opamps (like mentioned OPA627BP) be careful. With low power quality (unfortunately this is the case for V-DAC. Use heavy decoupling after switching DC converters or better use separate ultra low noise regs) these opamps may sound screaming, and make you tired very fast. Power, power, clean power for analog stage - this is the best mod for V-DAC. Now I am wondering how I was able to listen to it before....
Edited by barmanekm - 6/7/10 at 4:35pmpost #118 of 1966/28/10 at 7:26am
On the subject of power supply, I have used a QED Positron (originally designed for use as an upgrade for the QED Digit DAC). The is rated at 15v DC - the Digit "required" 12V.
The tranformation in sound was immediately obvious, power authority and dynamics. It shows how poor the original supply is!!
I suppose these can still be found secondhand and should be very expensive (at least until folk realise what they can do for the V-DAC)
Jimpost #119 of 1966/28/10 at 8:17ampost #120 of 1967/17/10 at 1:40am
I'm new here and I'm interested in upgrading my V-DAC.
Would it be helpfull to replace all the condensors for instance with Wima folie c's?
Not adjusting the values of components but just replacing them of those with a better quality?
- V-dac modifications
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 16 seconds ago
- › Arcam rHead Class-A Analogue Headphone Amplifier 16 seconds ago
- › Asus xonar essence stx ii Users Help !!!-- Some Questions !!! 35 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 48 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 51 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s? 4 minutes ago
- › 4 Jensen 0.22µf / 630V Copper Foil Paper-In-Oil Silver Lead... 4 minutes ago
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear