or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player? - Page 5

post #61 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichiu View Post
Here is a forum that has pictures of replace original hard disk to CF card:

link
Nice! Looks pretty straightforward for the CF card...should be easy enough with the new hard drive? Anyone tried it yet?

-Jim
post #62 of 261
Thread Starter 
It appears that the Zif-Cable may not fit the Toshiba drive(from what I've read about the drives on one of the links passed on to this thread). It appears that it might be a matter of getting the correct thickness Zif cable as the current one may be too thick for the Tosh. I'm hoping I'm wrong . If I'm right does anyone know where to track down the correct one.(Hopefully, the computer tech is ahead of me on this as he has'nt gotten back to me . It might just be he has'nt gotten around to my player yet. What's that line from that sappy popular song? "So close, but yet so far"
post #63 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichiu View Post
but if u use hard disk, you only have 2 to 3 hours playback time.......
If you go back & read posting #22 of this thread(page 2) you can see what I did, & search for a local source to do the same. There does'nt appear to be anything exotic about it. I would'nt be overly confident w/ only 2 or 3 more hours of playback time & the number of recharge cycles would still not be to my liking. I would suggest to anyone who decides to use this device as a player whether it be HDD or CF to only depend on the internal battery as a back up source of power & not at all if you decide to use the Korg for recording purposes. I think the intended purpose of the iinclusion of the internal battery was so you could listen to what you have recorded to see if anything needs to be re-recorded before dumping it onto a computer.
post #64 of 261
if you just bought mr-1 new from dealer, you can get free battery pack:
Korg - Promotions
post #65 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichiu View Post
if you just bought mr-1 new from dealer, you can get free battery pack:
Korg - Promotions
Well ,I think this is alright for a temporary "stop gap" baterry solution, but I think this player warrants a "more serious" external battery . Regardless of how this battery is described I would not trust using it when I were recording(but I'm not very trusting of a lot of "commercial products" that work "just fine". I want "exceptional" when it comes to power, once again that's just me. ) Congratulations, enjoy your new player!
post #66 of 261
Anybody able to snap some pics of the inside? I'd like to see that zif connector if possible.

I'm assuming its like this one?:

Installing a ZIF Drive Into the Digital Intelligence 1.8" Hard Drive Enclosure

Thanks,
Jim
post #67 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichiu View Post
do you have the link for upgraded battery?
sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I meant that with a bit of searching around online I am sure it would be more than possible to locate a suitable and upgraded battery that would fit in the korg.

Not that I have actually done the necessary research and located one myself, but for those who are suitably inclined I am confident it would be possible.

or of course, as you have noted and is mentioned earlier in the thread, us buyers are able to send in for a free korg external battery pack for their mr 1 recorders.
post #68 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUBS View Post
Anybody able to snap some pics of the inside? I'd like to see that zif connector if possible.

I'm assuming its like this one?:

Installing a ZIF Drive Into the Digital Intelligence 1.8" Hard Drive Enclosure

Thanks,
Jim
ill take some pics later if I have the time, although I'll warn you now, I neither have the best lighting or skillz for photography but I will try and get some pics of the insides and connections and maybe even opening procedure put into this thread, perhaps this thread could become a central resource in time for korg mods, I and many others would find that extremely useful I am sure.
post #69 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
ill take some pics later if I have the time, although I'll warn you now, I neither have the best lighting or skillz for photography but I will try and get some pics of the insides and connections and maybe even opening procedure put into this thread, perhaps this thread could become a central resource in time for korg mods, I and many others would find that extremely useful I am sure.

That would be great and very valuable to other owners / potential owners!

Thanks!!

-Jim
post #70 of 261
ok here are some pics, apologies in advance for the size of them (if they are huge) and for the camera work, but anyone is free to save them to their hdd and resize then reupload to this thread, at which point I'll remove the offending ones from this post.























post #71 of 261
Thanks for pictures!
They seem to indicate a blue-to-white cable is needed, if i understand things right (white = thin enough for the tosh). This needs to be fitted on the adaptor on the Korg end (blue), and then, to the drive (white). Alternative, can the existing cable be used, by not shutting down the latch fully, or other means?
Some advice on the net -
sjthinkpader at forum.thinkpads.com • View topic - Zif adapter question
"The Toshiba drives use a thinner cable end and is usually white colored. Hitachi and Samsung PATA ZIF drives use the slightly thicker blue cable ends. Some members reported Toshiba drive will work with the blue end as well."
Also, perhaps relevant?: "for the Tableu connector, Toshiba ZIF drives should be connected with the manufacturer label side down" (while Hitachi and Samsung have label side up. found this by using google cache on Frontier Solutions).
post #72 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oghoter View Post
Thanks for pictures!
They seem to indicate a white-white cable is needed, if i understand things right (white = thin enough for the tosh). This needs to be fitted on the adaptor on the Korg end, and then, to the drive. Alternative, can the existing cable be used, by not shutting down the latch fully, or other means?
Some advice on the net -
sjthinkpader at forum.thinkpads.com • View topic - Zif adapter question
"The Toshiba drives use a thinner cable end and is usually white colored. Hitachi and Samsung PATA ZIF drives use the slightly thicker blue cable ends. Some members reported Toshiba drive will work with the blue end as well."
Also, perhaps relevant?: "for the Tableu connector, Toshiba ZIF drives should be connected with the manufacturer label side down" (while Hitachi and Samsung have label side up. found this by using google cache on www.frontiersolutions.com.au).
The Zif cable being used in the Korg is a bit too thick on the drive insertion end . That little bit of blue strip that you see on the white zif ribbon extends beneath the black bar on the Hitachi drive. It really does'nt matter if you were to leave the latch up on the Tosh drive as the end won't enter the insertion slot. The good news is that the existing zif ribbon is easily removed from the Korg motherboard (Yeah I called the Korg ribbon a mother, but board was'nt the second word)as the latch on the board slides foward to remove the zif cable from the connection. At this point , I put things back together & took it to the computer service center I mentioned as I was'nt having any luck tracking down which zif cable is the right one to get. As we speak they still have the Korg as they had'nt had the chance to get to it. It appears pretty staight forward that the correct zif cable should be the answer but I not a tech so we'll see.
post #73 of 261
deal extreme do an ide to cf adaptor which comes supplied with (from memory) 2 zif ribbons, one end is thick, one end is thinner.

I have just been onto deal extreme to look for the link but the server is busy (first time thats ever happened to me on deal extreme so I dunno if its me or them with the issues).

Anyway, the point is, these adaptors only cost like $3-ish so it might be worth getting a couple of those to harvest the ribbon from to see if its a go?

Seems like a cheap hassle free solution and I can't see the issue with it as the thick end would fit on the korg motherboard while the thin end would go into the drives?

I have a couple of those adaptors myself so might have some spare zif ribbons to check but that will be a while yet as I am nowhere near the stage of purchasing a larger hdd or indeed using a cf card, although, actually, a cf card would be enticing in this player if they come down in price.

Should be less drain on the battery than a hdd?


scratch the above regarding the deal extreme zif ribbons, they are white and blue not white / white. I was under the impression that the motherboard would accept the blue/thick end but I don't think it would.
post #74 of 261
Thread Starter 
Ok, guys, not to put a damper on anyones spirits can anyone confirm that the Korg MR-1 absolutely will be functional after the capacity increase. I ask this because I received an e-mail from someone who saw a posting about my intended HDD increase over on another forum(AudioAsylum). He has a M-1000 & his local Korg distributor in Australia suggested it could'nt be done. He did'nt get any specifics but he thought it might have something to do w/ a custom formatting scheme being configured to retain the Korg OS on the boot sector of the drive. I realize that the MR-1 & MR-1000 are different, but I'm still concerned about the possibility. Early on a poster named Zitek chimmed in that he had switched the HDD to CF. It would be helpful if he could drop by again just to alleviate some concerns about how or if we need to make some precautions to make sure the MR-1 works properly. Has anyone noticed any recent postings he may have left. Nevermind, I'll do a search of any postings & hope he does'nt mind sharing his experience.
post #75 of 261
mr1 is functional with 32gb cf mod for sure.
we have successful story here:

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podtweaker View Post
Ok, guys, not to put a damper on anyones spirits can anyone confirm that the Korg MR-1 absolutely will be functional after the capacity increase. I ask this because I received an e-mail from someone who saw a posting about my intended HDD increase over on another forum(AudioAsylum). He has a M-1000 & his local Korg distributor in Australia suggested it could'nt be done. He did'nt get any specifics but he thought it might have something to do w/ a custom formatting scheme being configured to retain the Korg OS on the boot sector of the drive. I realize that the MR-1 & MR-1000 are different, but I'm still concerned about the possibility. Early on a poster named Zitek chimmed in that he had switched the HDD to CF. It would be helpful if he could drop by again just to alleviate some concerns about how or if we need to make some precautions to make sure the MR-1 works properly. Has anyone noticed any recent postings he may have left. Nevermind, I'll do a search of any postings & hope he does'nt mind sharing his experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Korg MR-1: Can this be used as a portable player?