Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I love minidisc - is that weird?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I love minidisc - is that weird? - Page 5

post #61 of 104
I may actually doing a recording again this year and plan to use my Sony MZ-RH1.

The plan is to connect my Behringer mixer to the line in of the MD and the sound should be quite lovely
post #62 of 104
Wow. You're way more advanced than I am!

This year, I've finally uploaded my first mini-disc via Sonicstage onto iTunes!

On an Apple Mac too! Double whammy!

I don't know if I did it right. I choose a .wav format and it seems to have worked, recording minidisc 320kbps ---> .wav format. Is that right?

Now, with the Hi-MD, Linear PCM, I see that the tracks are a whopping 1411kbps bit rate!! How much will that zap my poor computer hard drive memory?!

Apart from the amazingly highly Hi-MD sound quality, is it possible to download tracks from the computer and record them onto a MD player~? This is all new to me. My caveman style optical disc and real time recording using the optical out is the way I usually do it
post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_case View Post
My caveman style optical disc and real time recording using the optical out is the way I usually do it
Ditto, there is a quiet (slbeit slightly strange lol) satisfaction in recording your music onto mini disc from cd this way.

Infact, thats spurred me into filling up all my blank minidisks with albums with a mind to using the rh1 as my main rig, its such a gorgeous little player, very tactile, beautiful to look at like a minituarised hifi seperate and the sound is pure sex.
post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
Infact, thats spurred me into filling up all my blank minidisks with albums with a mind to using the rh1 as my main rig, its such a gorgeous little player, very tactile, beautiful to look at like a minituarised hifi seperate and the sound is pure sex.
I wish the Hi-MD would have lived on a while longer, just to make the price of the blanks about the same as the regular MDs.

Full SP Stereo on a regular MD is nice, 292kbp/s, but it ain't perfect, you can easily hear artifacts.

I'm really wondering how better a more hi-end device would sound with regular MDs (not quite ready to pay 5-8$ each 1gb blanks yet...).

Edit : and RH1 vs M200, what's the best?
post #65 of 104
Ahhh...but if mini-disc lived longer (i.e. actively marketed), then the price of the Hi-MD players would be full-price, rather than half-price, around the £150 mark which us new afficienados are happy to get them at.

$5-8 is very good for a new Hi-MD. Is that Canadian or US dollars?

We pay £4 cheapest in the UK for a Hi-MD. I'd be happy with anything cheaper.....

RH1 vs M200: RH1 tops!
post #66 of 104
hi-md's are a little expensive but if during those moments of feeling flush you splash out ona few at a time in a year or two's time you should have plenty to keep you going for a long long time.

Cd is my main medium but I have a good few md's and hi md's to be going on with.

with the prices of the rh1 now id snap them up, i paid full retail for mine and using a bit of nouse id have realised they would have dropped in price, but I was scared of not being able to find stock if I did that.
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
with the prices of the rh1 now id snap them up, i paid full retail for mine and using a bit of nouse id have realised they would have dropped in price, but I was scared of not being able to find stock if I did that.
The RH1 seems to be going for around 340-400$ on eBay right now. I could get an M200 for 429$ brand new, from previous comment the RH1 seems better but I wonder what the differences are? The M200 comes with stereo mic too...

I just noticed I could "convert" all my regular MDs to Hi-MD and still fit an album full of 320k mp3s on it! That'd work...
post #68 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
The RH1 seems to be going for around 340-400$ on eBay right now. I could get an M200 for 429$ brand new, from previous comment the RH1 seems better but I wonder what the differences are? The M200 comes with stereo mic too...

I just noticed I could "convert" all my regular MDs to Hi-MD and still fit an album full of 320k mp3s on it! That'd work...
The MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200 are exactly the same, they perform the same and they do the same stuff, the only major differences being the model numbers, and that the M200 comes with a different pair of earphones (RH1 includes MDR-E808SP while the M200 includes MDR-E0931SP), and that the M200 also includes a Sony ECM-DS70P one-point stereo microphone while the RH1 doesn't, but other than that, they are identical twins, so it is a WIN-WIN situation no matter what unit you buy.
post #69 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHMW View Post
The MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200 are exactly the same, they perform the same and they do the same stuff, the only major differences being the model numbers, and that the M200 comes with a different pair of earphones (RH1 includes MDR-E808SP while the M200 includes MDR-E0931SP), and that the M200 also includes a Sony ECM-DS70P one-point stereo microphone while the RH1 doesn't, but other than that, they are identical twins, so it is a WIN-WIN situation no matter what unit you buy.
Thank you very much for the explanation, exactly the info I was looking for
post #70 of 104
So are there no better sounding md players than the RH1 and M200?
post #71 of 104
Sure there are!

Like this:




Or did you mean 'portable'?


In that case - probably not. If there is, it would then be the same quality as a CD player, in an incredibly small package. Digital players aren't there yet, unless some believe that FLAC is CD quality? The Hi_MD players like the RH1 and M200 are definitely a step up from my already brilliant Sharp MD player. Any more quality in portable hi-fi, and I' won't ever sit down to listen to the home hi-fi!
post #72 of 104
Flac wav cd what's the difference?
post #73 of 104
I've been listening to my minidisc player and I was right. I think the sound is better compared to my sony x even though that's got wav files. It sounds more colourful and smooth/clean. Maybe it's because of the 'magneto...' technology of the himd discs (the way music is stored there) or the HD amp but I like it significantly more. It's special.
post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCX-15 View Post
I've been listening to my minidisc player and I was right. I think the sound is better compared to my sony x even though that's got wav files. It sounds more colourful and smooth/clean. Maybe it's because of the 'magneto...' technology of the himd discs (the way music is stored there) or the HD amp but I like it significantly more. It's special.
Interesting... I also noted that the sound seems to be a lot more dynamic, tho that might just be me.

Gonna go to my local Sony Store, see if they have any M200 gathering dust somewhere that I can try to haggle for..
post #75 of 104
I've been listening to my sony x again and it doesn't sound all that bad. It sounds more streamlined and stereo and I definitely like the WAV advantage. I guess newer devices typically sound better. I like it how different devices sound different and have different things like the HD amp and the S-master amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I love minidisc - is that weird?