Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I love minidisc - is that weird?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I love minidisc - is that weird? - Page 3

post #31 of 110
hmm since sony has killed off the minidisc format they should take the UMD format and use it for audio. Or develop a mini-disc blu-ray so we could store 20+ hrs of uncompress audio.
post #32 of 110
No way...!

Sony will be releasing a 10 year anniversary edition of the Hi-MD, limited edition with backward compatibility with not only all previous generations of mini-discs, but with previous generations of backwards users too!

We'll all queue up still ~ nothing like the great sound quality and palm sized perfection on the trot.
post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_case View Post
That makes sense. If you've never had a MD player, then you won't know the higher quality sound that comes out from a MD player, compared to MP3.......
You'd should be more specific. I have to say I didn't find my old SP MD's players or my HiMD's were better than my Sony MP3 players with a well encoded MP3 or ATRAC file.

I mean is a Sony Hi-MD 700 better than a Sony NWZX1060B both using PCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_case View Post
The MZ-NH1 is the highest model excepting the MZ-RH1. Its DAC and amp is reportedly phenomenal for sound play back, and it offers the same high quality Hi-MD Linear PCM recording from CD. You'll find that virtually all the mini-disc headphone amps are better spec'd than the iPod or Zune things.
What the specs of both?
post #34 of 110
Hey MD people for $80 is this a good deal?

Sony MiniDisc
post #35 of 110
That's a good deal. You can probably do better though.

Are you looking for a normal MD (records in SP mode) or a Hi-MD player (CD linear quality recording)?
post #36 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky191 View Post
You'd should be more specific. I have to say I didn't find my old SP MD's players or my HiMD's were better than my Sony MP3 players with a well encoded MP3 or ATRAC file.

I mean is a Sony Hi-MD 700 better than a Sony NWZX1060B both using PCM?

What the specs of both?
Specific in what way?

Sorry to hear you didn't hear the benefits. The Hi-MD's Linear PCM recording is higher quality than ATRAC compression or MP3. If you're not hearing any difference, I'm not sure why....

Imho, it's better just to go for the top end Sony Hi-MD models. They're cheap enough, compared to their original prices. Both of those lower end models ~ there isn't much to choose between, but I only have this one - the Sony MZ-RH1:

MDcenter.nl - alles wat je over MiniDisc weten wilt!

Compatibility between recording/playing - check that out too, just in case if you go for a lower model.

Here's the MZ-NH1 reviewed:

Sony MZ-NH1 Reviews
post #37 of 110
How much better sound wise is the rh1 compared to the nh1...is it by a large margin?

How does the rh1 and nh1 sound compared to players like the Amp3, Sony D1/D50, Sflo2, Cowon S9/D2 or the ZuneHD?
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_case View Post
That's a good deal. You can probably do better though.

Are you looking for a normal MD (records in SP mode) or a Hi-MD player (CD linear quality recording)?
Hi-MD player with CD PCM playback. I don't need to record anything, just for playback. Is this good enough?
post #39 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused718 View Post
How much better sound wise is the rh1 compared to the nh1...is it by a large margin?

How does the rh1 and nh1 sound compared to players like the Amp3, Sony D1/D50, Sflo2, Cowon S9/D2 or the ZuneHD?


They don't sound that much better at all. In fact at the start I thought the nh1 sounded better. It sounds bassier/dynamic, the rh1 sounds more mellow/liquid but the difference is small. I like the rh1 more now and listen to it more often but I still like the nh1 alot when I am listening to it. Compared with the Cowon S9 they sound more dynamic and effective which is what I liked about them, priceless sound really for the price.
post #40 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by faichiu View Post
i love pcdp, is that weird?
ME TOO!! I was actually threatening to take my old Kenwood on my bus trip from Toronto-Cleveland next week.

Since I got the PAV2 by Electric Avenues, it has given TOTALLY new life to the Kenwood.

Problem is I hate taking cd's on the road and of course, pcdp's skip.

The border guards would laugh at me, BUT for such truly gorgeous sound, might be worth it.

Now if ONLY the PAV2 had an optical input

That said, I also have a Sony MZ RH1 MD which if I EVER do any live recording again, with a good set of mics and my Behringer mixer will be a killer 'road machine'.

Yup, new technology may be more convenient, BUT has the sound actually gotten to those wonderful hi-fi buzzes we used to get??
post #41 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperDuel View Post
Hey MD people for $80 is this a good deal?

Sony MiniDisc
That's a MZ-NH600D. Sonys entry level first gen HiMD. Does not record live audio from a mic. I own one, I like it. That would be a good price if it was still sealed in the package. A good starter HiMD. Are you ready to start using Sonic Stage?
post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpepper View Post
That's a MZ-NH600D. Sonys entry level first gen HiMD. Does not record live audio from a mic. I own one, I like it. That would be a good price if it was still sealed in the package. A good starter HiMD. Are you ready to start using Sonic Stage?
Is the software really that bad? I haven't decided if I want to get it.
post #43 of 110
Have to say I never had a problem with Sonicstage 4.0 onwards.

I think most poeple would prefer not to use any software though.
post #44 of 110
I agree. Sonic Stage 4.0 and later is a stable and easy to use program. It might not be as pretty as iTunes, but it's nowhere near as bloated. It's just one more program you have to learn and use.
post #45 of 110
mz rh1 ftw, minidisc sounds freakin gorgeous with a lush velvety warmth other daps have yet to give me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › I love minidisc - is that weird?