Hmm, that is something to consider. I guess it will be hard to get a nice and perfect finish though with non-spraypaint (unless you were to lacquer it afterwards).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/7/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- FS/FT PRICE DROP Excellent condition Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (600 ohm) Last post on 7/16/13 at 7:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)? Last post on 9/12/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- DT-880's or 990's? Last post on 9/15/12 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Review to come when i have some time. Bottom line is, if you can pick these up on sale, they are a good buy for what they are. They are fairly comfortable, have ample bass which sadly lacks a...
Okay, these are my thoughts after a few hours. I recognize that's it's only been a few hours, but my opinion rarely changes with additional time. Initial Impressions: As has been...
I recently parted with my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 DJ Headphones and decided to move into something new. I had heard a lot about the Sennheiser HD 8 DJ and had a chance to own a pair for a Discount...
To be able to value my review I think it is important to mention some things about my preferences and experience with audio equipment and writing reviews. This is my first review for audio gear and...
Hifiman EF2A Review Overview:This is my first headphone amp review and I'm just going to review the amp section of this headphone amp as the DAC is nothing special, a bit better than most computer...
Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back* - Page 6post #76 of 3295/22/10 at 2:27am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 3295/22/10 at 3:14am
Not that hard. If both paint and brush are of good quality, and if you keep the layers thin, you'll be getting a close-to-perfection resultl. And warm conditions also help, put the paint and the object to be painted in a warm vincinity a few hours before you begin.post #78 of 3295/22/10 at 3:43am
Right. In that case I consider them done for the time being; let's see what time does with my cups. If the paint will prove susceptible to scratches etc. I might consider painting them over.
post #79 of 3295/22/10 at 6:09amThread Starter
The easiest and at least best way earning good results is with spray-paint. But you need 1. good lacquer (car-paint is good) 2. the correct primer (especially when painting plastic) and 3. the right equipment (aerosol can, maybe with better blast pipe, is ok for small surfaces, but better is a airbrush).post #80 of 3295/22/10 at 6:49ampost #81 of 3295/22/10 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #82 of 3295/23/10 at 2:08pmThread Starterpost #83 of 3295/24/10 at 1:32am
Project is currently on hold as I need to finish a paper due tomorrow. :(
Anyway I decided to leave the paint be and just move on. I am pretty happy with the results and this is more a test to see how well the paint will do.
The cups are already taped and I put a hole the size of a mini jack plug in them.
Then I wanted to stuff it with felt only to find out I didn't have enough of it.
My DT770 pads have been ordered from Thomann and I hope I will have them either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Buy felt and install it
Solder drivers in
Wait for pads
That's it. ;) I hope I have some free time tomorrow to finish the Beyers up and then I will use it with either Jmoney pads or the DT880 pads for the time being.
Have you ever tried the closeback with Jmoney pads? I was never too fond of them until I heard them with some Darths. They do magical things on Darths which must be because they are closed like the modded DT880s. Perhaps they work here as well. (FWIW I hate the leather pads on a stock DT880).post #84 of 3295/24/10 at 4:03am
We're curious about your findings in respect of the Jmoneyaudio pads. However, I am personally not too fond of that enterprise for several reasons, and the additional bass they are said to provide can also be found elsewhere with other methods.post #85 of 3295/24/10 at 5:34am
I completely agree. With the stock DT880 the Jmoney pads tame the highs and brings out the low end but they do so while ruining the mids IMO. With the leather pads you get the cave effect. Most often this cave effect can be dealt with by dampening the cups so therefore I am curious what the Jmoney pads will do with the closeback. From several other adventures with closed phones (think Markl mod for Denons and Darth mod for Beyers) it has become clear to me that they can be tuned with different dampening stuff behind the driver to quite some extend.
With that in mind it should also be possible to have a DT880 that strokes with the Jmoney pads. Until your mod however I would have never thought a closed DT880 would work.post #86 of 3295/24/10 at 5:46amQuote:
We also regarded Beyers as untinkerable for a long time. Basically, we just played around and ended up arriving somewhere we hadn't expected. We've learned meanwhile that this approach doesn't differ too much from the one of the so-called professionals...post #87 of 3295/24/10 at 6:45amThread Starter
I had the original leather pads which you only get in the Manufaktur. These ones are similar to the jmoney pads. With a closed system they sound not that bad at all, but with the CB too hollow and metallic.post #88 of 3295/26/10 at 7:42am
Finished the Beyers and did the mod (pics later). I put three thinner layers of felt in there and one layer of the kitchen fleece stuff (also used in the MS1000 mod) in front of the driver. However my DT770 pads haven't arrived yet. I expect them to arrive tomorrow.
Impressions with DT880 pads: sounds pretty good, but vocals are way too nasal and overall it sounds thin. Not much bass to it also. There's definitely potential though.
Impressions with Jmoney pads: sounds pretty good too, but like NoXter said too hollow and metallic and IMO also too thin. Here also not much bass.
Like I said there is potential and I will try to get all of that out of these. Let's wait and see what the DT770 pads do before I do any more modding.post #89 of 3295/26/10 at 7:57ampost #90 of 3295/26/10 at 5:43pmThread Starter
When there is still too less bass you can make the bass-reflex-hole a bit bigger. But wait for the DT770s. Velour usually have more bass than leather-pads.
Did you taped the backside of the jmoney pads?
- Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Seattle Redhook Meet Saturday July 26th, 2014 39 seconds ago
- › Lightweight cans with good isolation for listening whilst studying 40 seconds ago
- › Please help?? ibasso DX90 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 3 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › DUNU Head FI Contact account change notice 4 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo... 5 minutes ago
- › Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 /... 5 minutes ago
- › Help with an IEM USB DAC/Amp 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by MattTCG
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by DJPhiltheThrill
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Cachicamo
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by kman1211
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by TrollDragon
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kman1211
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by MarcadoStalker7
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by gopats1479
- › Schiit Asgard 2 by Hi-Fi'er
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)