Hmm, that is something to consider. I guess it will be hard to get a nice and perfect finish though with non-spraypaint (unless you were to lacquer it afterwards).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/7/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- FS/FT PRICE DROP Excellent condition Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (600 ohm) Last post on 7/16/13 at 7:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)? Last post on 9/12/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- DT-880's or 990's? Last post on 9/15/12 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
My first Head-Fi review. Pledged for these on Kickstarter this year. I own full range electrostatic speakers (Acoustat 3) and electret headphones (Audio Technica AT706). The Mitchell & Johnson...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I didn't really know about PaiAudio at all until very recently when I was approached by Alex Fan...
Vibro Labs Aria (universal) – initial impressions In my travels on Head-Fi over the last year or so, Vibro Labs is a name I had heard bandied around in various forums, mainly as makers of...
Alright, these are the most confusing set of cans I've ever owned. Why are they so cheap? It doesn't make any sense. Right out of the gate, these are the most comfortable set of headphones...
Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back* - Page 6post #76 of 3315/22/10 at 2:27am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 3315/22/10 at 3:14am
Not that hard. If both paint and brush are of good quality, and if you keep the layers thin, you'll be getting a close-to-perfection resultl. And warm conditions also help, put the paint and the object to be painted in a warm vincinity a few hours before you begin.post #78 of 3315/22/10 at 3:43am
Right. In that case I consider them done for the time being; let's see what time does with my cups. If the paint will prove susceptible to scratches etc. I might consider painting them over.
post #79 of 3315/22/10 at 6:09amThread Starter
The easiest and at least best way earning good results is with spray-paint. But you need 1. good lacquer (car-paint is good) 2. the correct primer (especially when painting plastic) and 3. the right equipment (aerosol can, maybe with better blast pipe, is ok for small surfaces, but better is a airbrush).post #80 of 3315/22/10 at 6:49ampost #81 of 3315/22/10 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #82 of 3315/23/10 at 2:08pmThread Starterpost #83 of 3315/24/10 at 1:32am
Project is currently on hold as I need to finish a paper due tomorrow. :(
Anyway I decided to leave the paint be and just move on. I am pretty happy with the results and this is more a test to see how well the paint will do.
The cups are already taped and I put a hole the size of a mini jack plug in them.
Then I wanted to stuff it with felt only to find out I didn't have enough of it.
My DT770 pads have been ordered from Thomann and I hope I will have them either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Buy felt and install it
Solder drivers in
Wait for pads
That's it. ;) I hope I have some free time tomorrow to finish the Beyers up and then I will use it with either Jmoney pads or the DT880 pads for the time being.
Have you ever tried the closeback with Jmoney pads? I was never too fond of them until I heard them with some Darths. They do magical things on Darths which must be because they are closed like the modded DT880s. Perhaps they work here as well. (FWIW I hate the leather pads on a stock DT880).post #84 of 3315/24/10 at 4:03am
We're curious about your findings in respect of the Jmoneyaudio pads. However, I am personally not too fond of that enterprise for several reasons, and the additional bass they are said to provide can also be found elsewhere with other methods.post #85 of 3315/24/10 at 5:34am
I completely agree. With the stock DT880 the Jmoney pads tame the highs and brings out the low end but they do so while ruining the mids IMO. With the leather pads you get the cave effect. Most often this cave effect can be dealt with by dampening the cups so therefore I am curious what the Jmoney pads will do with the closeback. From several other adventures with closed phones (think Markl mod for Denons and Darth mod for Beyers) it has become clear to me that they can be tuned with different dampening stuff behind the driver to quite some extend.
With that in mind it should also be possible to have a DT880 that strokes with the Jmoney pads. Until your mod however I would have never thought a closed DT880 would work.post #86 of 3315/24/10 at 5:46amQuote:
We also regarded Beyers as untinkerable for a long time. Basically, we just played around and ended up arriving somewhere we hadn't expected. We've learned meanwhile that this approach doesn't differ too much from the one of the so-called professionals...post #87 of 3315/24/10 at 6:45amThread Starter
I had the original leather pads which you only get in the Manufaktur. These ones are similar to the jmoney pads. With a closed system they sound not that bad at all, but with the CB too hollow and metallic.post #88 of 3315/26/10 at 7:42am
Finished the Beyers and did the mod (pics later). I put three thinner layers of felt in there and one layer of the kitchen fleece stuff (also used in the MS1000 mod) in front of the driver. However my DT770 pads haven't arrived yet. I expect them to arrive tomorrow.
Impressions with DT880 pads: sounds pretty good, but vocals are way too nasal and overall it sounds thin. Not much bass to it also. There's definitely potential though.
Impressions with Jmoney pads: sounds pretty good too, but like NoXter said too hollow and metallic and IMO also too thin. Here also not much bass.
Like I said there is potential and I will try to get all of that out of these. Let's wait and see what the DT770 pads do before I do any more modding.post #89 of 3315/26/10 at 7:57ampost #90 of 3315/26/10 at 5:43pmThread Starter
When there is still too less bass you can make the bass-reflex-hole a bit bigger. But wait for the DT770s. Velour usually have more bass than leather-pads.
Did you taped the backside of the jmoney pads?
- Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... just now
- › Chord Mojo - two weeks old 32 seconds ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 1 minute ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 3 minutes ago
- › i1, born for iPhone7, the first " MFi " headphone amplifier from FiiO 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...