Hmm, that is something to consider. I guess it will be hard to get a nice and perfect finish though with non-spraypaint (unless you were to lacquer it afterwards).
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/7/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- FS/FT PRICE DROP Excellent condition Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (600 ohm) Last post on 7/16/13 at 7:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)? Last post on 9/12/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- DT-880's or 990's? Last post on 9/15/12 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back* - Page 6post #76 of 3315/22/10 at 2:27am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 3315/22/10 at 3:14am
Not that hard. If both paint and brush are of good quality, and if you keep the layers thin, you'll be getting a close-to-perfection resultl. And warm conditions also help, put the paint and the object to be painted in a warm vincinity a few hours before you begin.post #78 of 3315/22/10 at 3:43am
Right. In that case I consider them done for the time being; let's see what time does with my cups. If the paint will prove susceptible to scratches etc. I might consider painting them over.
post #79 of 3315/22/10 at 6:09amThread Starter
The easiest and at least best way earning good results is with spray-paint. But you need 1. good lacquer (car-paint is good) 2. the correct primer (especially when painting plastic) and 3. the right equipment (aerosol can, maybe with better blast pipe, is ok for small surfaces, but better is a airbrush).post #80 of 3315/22/10 at 6:49ampost #81 of 3315/22/10 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #82 of 3315/23/10 at 2:08pmThread Starterpost #83 of 3315/24/10 at 1:32am
Project is currently on hold as I need to finish a paper due tomorrow. :(
Anyway I decided to leave the paint be and just move on. I am pretty happy with the results and this is more a test to see how well the paint will do.
The cups are already taped and I put a hole the size of a mini jack plug in them.
Then I wanted to stuff it with felt only to find out I didn't have enough of it.
My DT770 pads have been ordered from Thomann and I hope I will have them either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Buy felt and install it
Solder drivers in
Wait for pads
That's it. ;) I hope I have some free time tomorrow to finish the Beyers up and then I will use it with either Jmoney pads or the DT880 pads for the time being.
Have you ever tried the closeback with Jmoney pads? I was never too fond of them until I heard them with some Darths. They do magical things on Darths which must be because they are closed like the modded DT880s. Perhaps they work here as well. (FWIW I hate the leather pads on a stock DT880).post #84 of 3315/24/10 at 4:03am
We're curious about your findings in respect of the Jmoneyaudio pads. However, I am personally not too fond of that enterprise for several reasons, and the additional bass they are said to provide can also be found elsewhere with other methods.post #85 of 3315/24/10 at 5:34am
I completely agree. With the stock DT880 the Jmoney pads tame the highs and brings out the low end but they do so while ruining the mids IMO. With the leather pads you get the cave effect. Most often this cave effect can be dealt with by dampening the cups so therefore I am curious what the Jmoney pads will do with the closeback. From several other adventures with closed phones (think Markl mod for Denons and Darth mod for Beyers) it has become clear to me that they can be tuned with different dampening stuff behind the driver to quite some extend.
With that in mind it should also be possible to have a DT880 that strokes with the Jmoney pads. Until your mod however I would have never thought a closed DT880 would work.post #86 of 3315/24/10 at 5:46amQuote:
We also regarded Beyers as untinkerable for a long time. Basically, we just played around and ended up arriving somewhere we hadn't expected. We've learned meanwhile that this approach doesn't differ too much from the one of the so-called professionals...post #87 of 3315/24/10 at 6:45amThread Starter
I had the original leather pads which you only get in the Manufaktur. These ones are similar to the jmoney pads. With a closed system they sound not that bad at all, but with the CB too hollow and metallic.post #88 of 3315/26/10 at 7:42am
Finished the Beyers and did the mod (pics later). I put three thinner layers of felt in there and one layer of the kitchen fleece stuff (also used in the MS1000 mod) in front of the driver. However my DT770 pads haven't arrived yet. I expect them to arrive tomorrow.
Impressions with DT880 pads: sounds pretty good, but vocals are way too nasal and overall it sounds thin. Not much bass to it also. There's definitely potential though.
Impressions with Jmoney pads: sounds pretty good too, but like NoXter said too hollow and metallic and IMO also too thin. Here also not much bass.
Like I said there is potential and I will try to get all of that out of these. Let's wait and see what the DT770 pads do before I do any more modding.post #89 of 3315/26/10 at 7:57ampost #90 of 3315/26/10 at 5:43pmThread Starter
When there is still too less bass you can make the bass-reflex-hole a bit bigger. But wait for the DT770s. Velour usually have more bass than leather-pads.
Did you taped the backside of the jmoney pads?
- Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Launch competition – guess the upcoming new product! Clue #3... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K501 love... 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015 9 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 9 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2