Looks like he covered the back of the driver with a ...THING...and added a DT770-like felt ring.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 7/7/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryOn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- FS/FT PRICE DROP Excellent condition Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (600 ohm) Last post on 7/16/13 at 7:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Dac/Amp Pairing for Q701's and DT770-250 DT880/DT990-600hm Last post on 10/27/12 at 11:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AD 900 vs. DT 880 vs. AKG 550...which would you put on your head (and mine)? Last post on 9/12/12 at 5:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- DT-880's or 990's? Last post on 9/15/12 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
EL-8 fuses the best of many worlds for me. Picture if you will, the deepest, well defined bass you have ever heard. Now add to the picture the warmth only a ribbon tweeter can produce. Top all this...
M6 Pro reviewThe original m6 holds a special place in my heart. It was my first iem purchased after joining Head-fi. It was also my first pair of quality in ear headphones and a stepping stone that...
2 years ago when Fiio X3 came in place, I was so proud to say that it was one the best high quality digital audio player on the market at that time with a very good smooth sound, engaging bass...
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back* - Page 9post #121 of 3317/11/10 at 4:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 3317/11/10 at 5:08ampost #123 of 3317/11/10 at 5:52amThread Starter
These 'things' have been on the backside of the DT901 drivers.
Quite similar to the ones in a DT770:
But not exactly as you can see.
I wonder what happens, if these are made of wood. :-)
Edited by NoXter - 7/11/10 at 6:03ampost #124 of 3317/11/10 at 5:54ampost #125 of 3317/11/10 at 7:06amQuote:
Generally, there isn't such thing as "final state" when tinkering, also in the non-audio field. Final state = I'm too lazy
@ NoXter: What do they do to the sound?
post #126 of 3317/11/10 at 7:30amThread Starterpost #127 of 3317/11/10 at 11:47am
I had the idea that I used too much felt (four layers) inside, like it was smothering the bass port.
So tried the one piece of felt of 4 mm, the one I can easily breath through.
It made the bass become much louder, but the overall impact was lacking.
Finally I put three pieces of the 1 mm felt in the earcups. And one on the drivers, leaving the foam out. This gives the best result. Enough bass and impact, and still decent isolation.
The felt on the driver doesn't kill the treble, and adds a bit more warmth to the sound.
This is indeed one of the best closed headphones I heard so far.
Edited by Tiemen - 7/16/10 at 10:43ampost #128 of 3317/12/10 at 3:42ampost #129 of 3317/19/10 at 4:46am
Took out one of the three felt pieces (which is closer to 2mm than one) I had installed. Back is the slow Beyer bass! It will take some more listening time to see what I like better: the tighter sound of three felt layers or the more fluffy sound of two. Hmm, wondering how one layer of felt + cotton sound.
Edited by apatN - 7/19/10 at 6:10ampost #130 of 3317/19/10 at 5:27am
Muhahaha! I did some more modding and I transformed a DT880 in a Darth Beyer! What you do is this: put as much layers of felt in there but make sure you cut a small hole in the middle of the layers so your bass port doesn't become useless. The idea was to dampen the driver a little with the added felt but I guess with the added dampening felt + the open hole I got a bit too much bass. FWIW this way of using the drivers shows how powerful they really are.post #131 of 3317/19/10 at 6:18am
So, let's make this a multi-post.
From these small experiments I confirmed my thoughts that bigger cups = more soundstage, more air and better transparency because of that. While I could get the same sound signature that I was used to from my CB DT880 the stuffed cups sounded too closed-in. With less stuffed cups the sound really flows and is more detailed and believable. I think to take this mod to the next level is to install some deep cups. If only I had the time to make such cups. :-( For now I will look around the house for stuff that is more dense than the felt I am currently using so to safe space in the cups.post #132 of 3317/19/10 at 6:37am
I managed to find 3 and 1.5 mm felt in a hobby shop. I put it in the cups, after I made the bass port a little bit wider.
Furthermore I taped the small holes at the back of the earpads.
I think I have the best sound now, though I'm still under the impression that the stock DT880 has more bass. But this closed back bass is tighter and faster, as apatN already mentioned.
I need the isolation, and definitely woundn't want a Darth Beyer bass.post #133 of 3317/19/10 at 6:50am
My CB has quite a bit more bass than stock but it depends on how you tuned yours of course. Also the amount and type of felt is important my last tests confirmed. Also keep in mind that you have the 250OHM drivers.
My setup now: bass port is around 5-6mm diameter (), two layers of normal felt, one layer of felt with a hole in the middle, taped pads. My bass port is bigger than recommended in the first post, but I don't think I have too much bass. If I ever wanted less bass I will simply add another layer of felt (or remove the layer with a hole) in the cups.
Oh, another head-fier will probably be here tomorrow with a DT770 600OHM and a Darth Beyer. We are going to put the 600OHM drivers in the Darth Beyer. The comparison with the DT880CB should be interesting.
Tiemen, I believe you had the DT770 600OHM. How does it compare to the DT880 CB?post #134 of 3317/19/10 at 7:56amQuote:
Going from memory: bass is more or less the same.
I found the DT770/600 boring to death, the DT880 CB isn't, it has way better PRaT.
DT770/600 is brighter and more sibilant.
Mids of the DT880 CB are fuller and meatier.
I take this DT880/250 CB any time over the DT770/600.
And price is of course also a factor. I payed 255,- Euro for the DT770/600, and 75,- for the DT880/250 (used, but in mint condition).post #135 of 3317/19/10 at 10:23am
Thanks Tiemen, but I have to ask... Where did you get that ridiculous good price on those DT880s? I thought my DT880s were a good deal (only paid cable + drivers) but yours take the biscuit!
- Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 9 seconds ago
- › 2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9 1 minute ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet at BottleHeadquarters 4/25/2015 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for exercise earbuds recommendation 3 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › best warm fun headphones sub £400 6 minutes ago
- › Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3? 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by tonyjoy
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by indieman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by kytuphicanh
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2