Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread. - Page 4

post #46 of 121
I love my HD555's too. They're just so darn comfortable.

I'm starting to build a CMoy amp tonight with a buddy who's a whiz with electronics. Do any of you guys listen to your's through a cmoy? I'm curious to see if the sound improves much with the 555's and also my Grado SR-60's. I realize that neither really need an amp, but figure it'll be fun to learn and is only costing about $20.
post #47 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip221 View Post
I love my HD555's too. They're just so darn comfortable.

I'm starting to build a CMoy amp tonight with a buddy who's a whiz with electronics. Do any of you guys listen to your's through a cmoy? I'm curious to see if the sound improves much with the 555's and also my Grado SR-60's. I realize that neither really need an amp, but figure it'll be fun to learn and is only costing about $20.

do let us know how the hd555 / cmoy pairing works out for you
post #48 of 121
Thanks again for the advice in this thread. . . I ended up splurging on a D10 Cobra because I liked the idea of being able to switch to the optical out on my consoles. Probably a little excessive for the 555's, but if I'm impressed with the improvement in sound I might consider upgrading the headphones later down the line anyway.
post #49 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mookid View Post
Thanks again for the advice in this thread. . . I ended up splurging on a D10 Cobra because I liked the idea of being able to switch to the optical out on my consoles. Probably a little excessive for the 555's, but if I'm impressed with the improvement in sound I might consider upgrading the headphones later down the line anyway.
You will definitely notice improvement in bass and soundstage
This is the combo I am using everyday
post #50 of 121
I'm a HD 555 lover too! I love my HD 555, and the foam mod really opened up the headphone..

At 1st, I just tried it out of curiosity, and realised WOW! What a major improvement that is!

Now I'm just wondeirng should I go with any amp/DAC ?
post #51 of 121
I'm a HD 555 lover too! I love my HD 555, and the foam mod really opened up the headphone..

At 1st, I just tried it out of curiosity, and realised WOW! What a major improvement that is!

Now I'm just wondeirng should I go with any amp/DAC ?
post #52 of 121
As everyone stated, the HD 555 is a mighty fine product. It is a good start for budget audiophiles, and its sound is just near the 595's without costing that much. I tried the foam removal mod, and was amazed by the improvements.

The addition of using FLAC and ALAC improved the experience, as well as having a Fiio E5 portable amp. All in all, a great pair of cans.
post #53 of 121
Fiio E5, IMHO, does not do much for the HD555, as it would to other headphones, or IEMs for that matter..The foam removal is basically the 1 best improvement/mod that you can do to the HD 555..
post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by killz23 View Post
Fiio E5, IMHO, does not do much for the HD555, as it would to other headphones, or IEMs for that matter
As a low-impedance 'phone, the 555 pulls a lot of current, so I guess I'd expect a portable amp wouldn't necessarily do as much. Have you noticed any difference in your 555's with the Fiio plugged into the wall, as opposed to working off the batteries?

My NAD desktop Preamp made a big improvement over my onboard audio chip, and going balanced with my home-grown a47 did quite a bit beyond that.

Quote:
..The foam removal is basically the 1 best improvement/mod that you can do to the HD 555..
I'll second this--on the phones themselves, the foam mod and the recable made the most significant differences for me. Everything else is more incrementally additive--to the point where I don't know I'd recommend it because to me it could merely be psychoacoustics.

Of course, I've done so may mods that my 555's probably don't qualify as 555's anymore. I've even been looking at linuxworks "ProjectFrankenSixfifities(tm)" and am scheming about ways to shoehorn 650 drivers into these cans.
post #55 of 121
Wow...Imagine 650 drivers on a 555's body. haha..That'll be great..

No, I didn't try the Fiio amp plugged into wall before..That's a small amp to be powerful enough to do anything, basically..Recabling? That's gonna be my next mod I would say..

Ive been tempted to try the soundstage mod..and the HWC mod, but not gutsy enough..How to hoose the HWC foam? Where to place it? It's kinda hard to understand as well..haha..
post #56 of 121
i would want to get the 555 because amazon has a good price but do they have good quality bass?
post #57 of 121
How much are they selling it?

Yeah, bass is really nice and tight..Good soundstage, and good treble too..Overall a great sounding headphone..
post #58 of 121
$110
post #59 of 121
How to do the soundstage mod? I've been hearing about this and I don't know the step-by-step procedure. Can someone explain it for me?
post #60 of 121
Seond that..

I would like to try too, but it's irreversible though..Does the foam removal mod expose the 555 driver to potential hazard? like dirt and stuff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD555 appreciation thread.