Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Xonar Essence ST
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus Xonar Essence ST

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
The King is dead long live the king?
ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview | test

Asus is working on it´s PCI version of the card which is compatible with the HDAV1.3 daughter card so you can get 7.1 analogue out and even fine tune the sound for surround. Separate op amps for center and sub can be used for example.
post #2 of 68
Yes, there was a post here awhile ago about that card. Great sounding card from my tests.
post #3 of 68
There was a thread about this a while ago. I think it was ROBSCIX who wrote that preview and also started the thread here.
post #4 of 68
Yes. My preview and thread.

If you have any questions I can answer let me know and I will try and help.
post #5 of 68
Thread Starter 
I thought isn´t that RobscIX on head fi

A bit curious on how it sounds. The STX you often hear about how warm it´s. And that it´s not that strong with upper treble? Some mention huge bass too? Have you any experience with the creative cards? I guess many would call them cold though the elite pro flirt a bit with the warm side with it´s big bass . Would preferr it not being warmer than that or not to much anyway.
post #6 of 68
Essence ST.. looking at the name you'd figure the STX would be better then the ST (GT, GTX?) but I guess the X means the PCI-X version. Still feel crappy that I bought their 'flagship' product only to have it be dethroned 2 months later.

Well technically its not out yet but seriously.. I bet many STX owners feel this way after hearing about the ST. Now I know what the DAC1-PRE users felt like when they heard about the HDR.
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
I thought isn´t that RobscIX on head fi

A bit curious on how it sounds. The STX you often hear about how warm it´s. And that it´s not that strong with upper treble? Some mention huge bass too? Have you any experience with the creative cards? I guess many would call them cold though the elite pro flirt a bit with the warm side with it´s big bass . Would preferr it not being warmer than that or not to much anyway.
It is me, I use the same name on any forums I frequent.
Yes, I have experience with Creative cards.
I never found the STX to be lacking in the upper ranges nor have too much bass. Actually I found the STX to be very balanced when comapred to some other cards or devices.
post #8 of 68
Any word on the price? Which one is cheaper? Also it seem like the ST have 'Precision Audio Clock Tuning' that the STX don't have, so any difference on sound because of that?
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Essence ST.. looking at the name you'd figure the STX would be better then the ST (GT, GTX?) but I guess the X means the PCI-X version. Still feel crappy that I bought their 'flagship' product only to have it be dethroned 2 months later.

Well technically its not out yet but seriously.. I bet many STX owners feel this way after hearing about the ST. Now I know what the DAC1-PRE users felt like when they heard about the HDR.
Yes, the X-is for PCI Express. I wouldn't say the ST dethroned the STX. Different card meant for different users types. The STX is designed with music in mind. -2 channel stereo.
The ST is PCI version of the same card.

I also noted, that ASUS was unsure if the card would be marketed with the daughter board. The pin header, seemed to be a bit of a last minute addition. When the card was shown at CES, the daughter board was not in the picture nor mentioned IIRC. The card may never come with the daughter board and one may never be avialable seperatley. The card may just be marketed as the PCI version of the STX.
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post
Any word on the price? Which one is cheaper? Also it seem like the ST have 'Precision Audio Clock Tuning' that the STX don't have, so any difference on sound because of that?
If any such information was avaialable I would post it if I could. I go out of my way to get information for the audio community about upcoming audio devices. The ST has a different clocking circuit, yes. I have never compared both cards directly for differences in sound signature.
post #11 of 68
[H] Enthusiast --- www.hardocp.com

sounds like the daughter board is NOT included, but will soon be announced as a seperate upgrade. Poopy.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
Yes, the X-is for PCI Express. I wouldn't say the ST dethroned the STX. Different card meant for different users types. The STX is designed with music in mind. -2 channel stereo.
The ST is PCI version of the same card.
Yes but ROBSCIX, the ST does the same 2ch stereo that the STX does, it just does it with ability to scale up to 7.1.

And looked here ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

This whole spiel about the 1picosecond jitter clock? The STX makes no mention of this so it looks like the ST is better on its optical out as well.

All around better card. Aggravating. Asus needs better planning ffs.
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Yes but ROBSCIX, the ST does the same 2ch stereo that the STX does, it just does it with ability to scale up to 7.1.

And looked here ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

This whole spiel about the 1picosecond jitter clock? The STX makes no mention of this so it looks like the ST is better on its optical out as well.

All around better card. Aggravating. Asus needs better planning ffs.

Yes, I know as I was the first reviewer to test the card and release information on it, quite awhile ago.
I am quite aware of the details of this product.

Different, yes. better? -I guess that depends on what you after.
If you find the ST has more to offer you, sell the STX and buy the ST
post #14 of 68
31% less audio jitter interference...who could argue with that?...
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technokat View Post
[H] Enthusiast --- www.hardocp.com

sounds like the daughter board is NOT included, but will soon be announced as a seperate upgrade. Poopy.
I happy that it be a seperate upgrade, that means I can finally buy the dauther board for my HDAV13. I just hope it dont cost more then 30 dollars heh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Asus Xonar Essence ST