Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF2--It's For Real
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF2--It's For Real - Page 62  

post #916 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Yeah they are made of black metal.

But honestly I don't care much about that.
I see, thanks for the info. Are the 325is full rings metal too? Maybe John tried out both and felt the full rings didn't go as well with this particular design :shrug: Since the 325is uses at least some type of full ring I'd think he would have at least considered it.

I guess if someone really wanted to they could try to get the full ring parts and mod the HF-2
post #917 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan007 View Post
I see, thanks for the info. Are the 325is full rings metal too? Maybe John tried out both and felt the full rings didn't go as well with this particular design :shrug: Since the 325is uses at least some type of full ring I'd think he would have at least considered it.

I guess if someone really wanted to they could try to get the full ring parts and mod the HF-2
SR325i uses plastic C-style (not full ring). Not even RS-2 uses full ring.
post #918 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan007 View Post
I see, thanks for the info. Are the 325is full rings metal too? Maybe John tried out both and felt the full rings didn't go as well with this particular design :shrug: Since the 325is uses at least some type of full ring I'd think he would have at least considered it.

I guess if someone really wanted to they could try to get the full ring parts and mod the HF-2
I'm gonna see if I can find a pair of RS-1 headband on sale in the FS forum, if not I'm gonna buy the part directly off Grado distributor, and claim that my RS-1 broke or something.
post #919 of 2859
This is great. It is truely what I hoped it to look like and not having the SUPERBOWLS makes it more of the "Baby" PS1000 in full effect. It is exactly what I was hoping for and I am very excited and now I REALLY can't wait much longer to get mine! I should be on the first batch aside from the 25 Todd brought to CanJam to sell and give to Mod's.

HELL YEAH!
post #920 of 2859
First, the 325is has a plastic partial ring just like these. Grado CNCs the full metal ring for RS-1s and up and I'm sure they are significantly more expensive to produce than the plastic molded rings.

You also cannot order just the metal rings to retrofit to other models. I have inquired. You could probably order a set of RS-1s, swap the rings and sell the RS-1s for a fair price in the for-sale area, might end up costing you $200 or so.
post #921 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule View Post
Ahhh! We must have thorough impressions of this headphone soon!
Yeah, that'll be interesting. With the wood chambers and whatever driver tweaks that may have been done, I'm expecting the sound quality to be top-notch just as the cosmetics are...
post #922 of 2859
I hope they sound better than the RS-2s
post #923 of 2859
I hope we not go wrong with HF-2





I was impressed by my HF-1 ;P
post #924 of 2859
I have one question or issue. I looked at the inside of the HF-2. I just took off the pad on my HF-1 and I can't tell a difference with the wood or driver. I hope there is more than just new cable, metal outer case, and leather headband. Atleast in sound quality. I hope the "refinement" is not just due to the new thicker cable

And really a new driver

Can't wait to side by side compare the HF-1 and HF-2 yay June should be a good month and than July is my birthday so maybe something even a closed can like D7000
post #925 of 2859
i think these headphones have, at first impression based on its appearance only, lived up to most people's hopes and expectations. metal with wood, very cool, with custom engraving that has both "head-fi" and "hf-2". leather, padded headband to boot.

but now people are griping about the ring and swivel? jeez, what's next?
post #926 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
First, the 325is has a plastic partial ring just like these. Grado CNCs the full metal ring for RS-1s and up and I'm sure they are significantly more expensive to produce than the plastic molded rings.

You also cannot order just the metal rings to retrofit to other models. I have inquired. You could probably order a set of RS-1s, swap the rings and sell the RS-1s for a fair price in the for-sale area, might end up costing you $200 or so.
Ah you're right, I was tricked by the third picture in particluar here: Grado SR 325is Photos but the second picture makes it clear they are c-rings.

Full metal rings are surely more expensive. Even if you could get the rings you'd have to dissasemble the HF-2 to get them in between the metal and wood parts. Given the price point of the HF-2 a plastic ring is not surprising, even the RS2 uses a c-ring. Anyway I feel John made the phones the best he could and didn't do it just to cheap out, I hope he at least tried the two types.
post #927 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouRight View Post
I have one question or issue. I looked at the inside of the HF-2. I just took off the pad on my HF-1 and I can't tell a difference with the wood or driver. I hope there is more than just new cable, metal outer case, and leather headband. Atleast in sound quality. I hope the "refinement" is not just due to the new thicker cable

And really a new driver

Can't wait to side by side compare the HF-1 and HF-2 yay June should be a good month and than July is my birthday so maybe something even a closed can like D7000
The drivers of all Grados look more or less the same...
post #928 of 2859
Like I said before MadMan007, its not as big of a deal as you've made it out to be. I own as GS1000 and RS1, I like the construction of those phones and the full metal yoke (ring) is a nice detail.

When considering the overall quality of the HF2, the metal yoke would have completed the package quite nicely. This is my opinion, plain and simple. Don't read so much into it as I can guarantee my opinion isn't going to affect the value of these phones.

Up until today I hadn't realized that the plastic yoke was used all the way up to the RS2. I thought it was just the lower end models that used it, so when I consider that the HF2 is (possibly) just a mutant SR325i, the plastic yoke makes sense.
post #929 of 2859
The metal yoke of RS1 or GS1000 cannot be used on SR series or HF-2 because the cable is in the way, the yoke and the cable intersects, only if the cup is longer.
post #930 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy View Post
You also cannot order just the metal rings to retrofit to other models. I have inquired. You could probably order a set of RS-1s, swap the rings and sell the RS-1s for a fair price in the for-sale area, might end up costing you $200 or so.
I currently own the RS2 and MS-Pro with plastic and metal (or aluminum?)yokes, respectively. I don't think a switch will work even if you wanted to do it. The diameters of the cups are different. Also, the pivot pin of the metal yoke seem to be tightly press fitted. I don't see how you can pull it out without damaging it. I guess you can custom fab longer pivot pins.
Pic of my SR225, RS2, MS-Pro side-by-side...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
kontai69, how have you been? I have not seen you post much over the last 6 months or so. Good to see you posting again.
Thanks. I've been good. I kind of lost interested in the hobby over the last year. Been reading the clothing forums of all places. I also sweared that I will never buy anymore gear since I'm really happy with my current setup. I happen to wonder back here last week and heard about a new Grado which piqued my interest in headphones again. Now just dropped some $$$ on a new HF-2 which I've never even seen! I can see why people say that Head-Fi is bad for your wallet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF2--It's For Real