Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF2--It's For Real
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF2--It's For Real - Page 73  

post #1081 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
No offense, but the number of drivers used by Grado is covered in other threads ad nauseum and is sure to cause a dust up. You can choose to believe that every model has it's own driver thus making it unique amongst Headphone manufacturers or choose something different. The real point is nobody knows except the folks that work at Grado. The question in itself is moot, and as I said covered ad nauseum before today.

.
well it's not like I'm asking about a different model or being obsessed with a certain aspect of the metal housing *cough *cough. It would be different if no one knew the drivers in the hf1, but there doesn't seem to be any debate about that(everyone just says oh its based on the 225 one didn't see arguments). I'm not talking about the normal prestige or reference models.
post #1082 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydieselnut View Post
I guess I'm confused about the "shaved 325i" hypothesis, not because I don't believe that it's a possible explanation...but just because I don't get why it matters. So John took a bunch of 325is housings, chucked them up on the lathe, turned down the outer surface, put a relief for the mahogany inner housings, glued the two together, put who knows what driver in there, etched a new model on the exterior, and put the new cable in there...so? That sounds like a new headphone to me. Or, I should say, as new as any other Grado headphone. As an owner of GS1000i's, 325is', SR80i's, and a twelve-year-old pair of SR60's, I've never felt that Grado represented "state-of-the-art" design or construction, but I've felt like the sound is state-of-the-art.

I'll bet the HF-2's sound great and I'll bet I keep my 325is' because my hypothesis is that they will have different strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe I just got soured by the endless prattle in the ALO Amphora review thread. And yes, I still like walnut
I don't know if you read the original post I made on his, but I delineated the Cleverness of how JG produced this SE version so "fiscally frugal". It is much better done than I thought it wold be. But he has an extra $200 and some change to work with on the design of this model. When it's said it is a Mini PS-1000, I say it is a cut down 325 because I think the evidence is obvious that's what it is. Obvious. Boiling it down, it's a wooden driver holder, a cut down 325(or slightly different CNC profile), and some driver doping. I'm gonna get one. But I'm gonna be honest to myself about what I'm getting.

And just to be clear again, I'm amazed at how Clever JG was here. I was wondering Friday night about how he was going to do it, and told some folks it would be a Re-Branded 325. I think it came out to be at least a little more than that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kg21 View Post
well it's not like I'm asking about a different model or being obsessed with a certain aspect of the metal housing *cough *cough. It would be different if no one knew the drivers in the hf1, but there doesn't seem to be any debate about that(everyone just says oh its based on the 225 one didn't see arguments). I'm not talking about the normal prestige or reference models.
I'm not obsessed with the metal housing just trying to be subjective here amongst the LuvFest. As I said the debate about Grado drivers is covered ad nauseum elsewhere. If you haven't seen stuff like this below, ya gotta say Hmmm at least once before some form of rationalization crosses your mind. Keep in mind that I love Grados.
>>
>>



.
post #1083 of 2859
^ What about that graph?
post #1084 of 2859
Yeah, les_garten, this is usually what happens with renowned brands. Edit (Upps forgot to finish that sentence ) Releasing a new model with very little tweaks over other models and giving it a good price will make people jump to it. I have to agree with you that KG did a good work. It is a very sexy looking HP. Then this is also part of the Hi-Fi world, don't you think?

In the end all the companies are winning a lot of money selling products that don't require expensive materials or can be easily done by machines, hence cheaper to make.

About the graphs, Cankin, the differences are very minute, therefore you can think that the drivers are practically the same. Am I wrong les_garten?
EDIT: You also have to bare in mind that the graph results are measured using a dummy head. The graph you are looking at might be a bit "softened". If you see closely the only model that has a bit different result is the sr125 close to the 20Khz line.
post #1085 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydieselnut View Post
I guess I'm confused about the "shaved 325i" hypothesis, not because I don't believe that it's a possible explanation...but just because I don't get why it matters. So John took a bunch of 325is housings, chucked them up on the lathe, turned down the outer surface, put a relief for the mahogany inner housings, glued the two together, put who knows what driver in there, etched a new model on the exterior, and put the new cable in there...so? That sounds like a new headphone to me. Or, I should say, as new as any other Grado headphone. As an owner of GS1000i's, 325is', SR80i's, and a twelve-year-old pair of SR60's, I've never felt that Grado represented "state-of-the-art" design or construction, but I've felt like the sound is state-of-the-art.

I'll bet the HF-2's sound great and I'll bet I keep my 325is' because my hypothesis is that they will have different strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe I just got soured by the endless prattle in the ALO Amphora review thread. And yes, I still like walnut
no, you're right. it doesn't matter...and doesn't make sense. to say that it's a "shaved down 325" is to make the case that it isn't as luxurious or top-knotch as some people want to think. it's no ps-1000 or ps-1 because it's really just a modified 325 with wood housings and different etchings.

all this talk about it being a "mini ps-1000" has been taken out of context. jude and todd have mentioned that it sounds like a ps-1000, perhaps not as refined. if les_garten has to "be honest about what he's getting," the only one he's trying to convince is himself, because most people here, if they've done their homework and read the various threads, most importantly, jude's original post, they know what they're getting.

many were happy for this opportunity for a limited-edition headphone, especially those who were not around for the hf-1. unseen, we were willing to buy these because of what the hf-1 brought, because of what jude and todd said about them, because of the allure of a limited-edition headphone, because it supports head-fi, etc. seen, the reviews have been very favorable, and most think this is a very good deal.

i have no issues with thinking about how something was made and what the manufacturing process might be like, etc. but that's not what's going on here...to say that "it's just a cut-down 325" is trying to make the claim that we're not really getting a "baby ps-1000," rather a tricked-up 325. it's a statement that tries to claim that we're really not getting that much of a value here because it's made from a product that's cheaper than the $429 that we're paying. i don't get it, to be honest. and maybe i'm too sensitive about this, which is probably true...but it just rubs me the wrong way, as did much of the grumbling that ensued after the hf1 came out.
post #1086 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
No offense, but the number of drivers used by Grado is covered in other threads ad nauseum and is sure to cause a dust up. You can choose to believe that every model has it's own driver thus making it unique amongst Headphone manufacturers or choose something different. The real point is nobody knows except the folks that work at Grado. The question in itself is moot, and as I said covered ad nauseum before today.

.
So speculation is useful for the housing but not the drivers huh? Funny that...
post #1087 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan007 View Post
So speculation is useful for the housing but not the drivers huh? Funny that...
Well, no. It's just going nowhere, just like all the other discussions about Grado Drivers. The housing is obvious.

If you have an axe to grind with me from the Zero thread, take it to PM please.

.
post #1088 of 2859
Actually, if the driver is in a wooden housing I would hypothesize it's the ones from the RS / GS / PS line, and therefore it would be more correct to state it indeed as a mini PS-1000, where the materials to fashion it simply came from existing stock.
post #1089 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegras View Post
Actually, if the driver is in a wooden housing I would hypothesize it's the ones from the RS / GS / PS line, and therefore it would be more correct to state it indeed as a mini PS-1000, where the materials to fashion it simply came from existing stock.
Disagree,
The driver is mounted in a holder, either plastic or wood, or the cup itself. The RS-1, RS-2, and GS-1000 drivers are mounted directly in the cup without a driver holder.

.
post #1090 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Well, no. It's just going nowhere, just like all the other discussions about Grado Drivers. The housing is obvious.

If you have an axe to grind with me from the Zero thread, take it to PM please.

.
I don't think anyone has an axe to grind with you, you are just annoyingly bent on this 325 theory of yours and like to get personal. Welcome to my ignore list.
post #1091 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Disagree,
The driver is mounted in a holder, either plastic or wood, or the cup itself. The RS-1, RS-2, and GS-1000 drivers are mounted directly in the cup without a driver holder.
.
Well, it is not quite like that. RS-1 and RS-2's drivers are in plastic enclosures glued to the wooden housing. The only difference is RS-1/2's housing is one piece wood.
post #1092 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust2D View Post
I don't think anyone has an axe to grind with you, you are just annoyingly bend on this 325 theory of yours and like to get personal. Welcome to my ignore list.
and mine....
post #1093 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust2D View Post
I don't think anyone has an axe to grind with you, you are just annoyingly bent on this 325 theory of yours and like to get personal. Welcome to my ignore list.
Ignore list = axe to grind. NO?
post #1094 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
Ignore list = axe to grind. NO?
Nope. I just like to filter out random noise that does not carry any new useful information. I am the last person to defend Grado as I don't even like HP-1 I am stat and ortho guy, but he is just getting personal and sounds like a broken record.
post #1095 of 2859
Well, discussion aside lets just hope people who have them already start rolling the HPs so we can have some impressions/opinions/comparisons, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF2--It's For Real