Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two - Page 38

post #556 of 620


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentino View Post

My reason for wanting the Hifiman is to have it all in one player. It would replace much of my stuff.

Regarding amps - I can see the use of The Protector with Hifiman if one wants to use balanced headphones. But why do people pair the $700 Hifiman with a small amp? Or worse - with a huge amp! :) What portable amps is an improvement over the Hifiman amp?

I mean, the Hifiman costs $700 for a reason right? It has really good dac and amp inside? What could be the reason for the price if not quality components? $700 for stupidly over sized dap with 4 gigantous gb of storage? Of course the answer is that people want the best sound no matter the size. But to buy a Hifiman with that high price tag and not use half of whats inside it is...maybe not ridicolous but a bit weird.

To start things off, the Burr Brown PCM1074UK DAC in the HiFiMAN is what is most valuable to the people who buy it. The amplifier inside the HiFiMAN, believe it or not, is the bottleneck of the device. It cripples the HiFiMAN's potential so therefore I bypass it by going line out to a much better external portable amplifier ( RSA The Protector ). The HiFiMAN doesn't have internal memory dedicated to storage of media. It has about 1gb of internal memory for firmware files I believe. It has SD/SDHC card slot for unlimited storage of up to 32gb's at a time. The HiFiMAN by itself is the best sound you can get from a portable DAP but people like me who want to maximize our equipment will use our HiFiMAN as only a portable high end DAC.
 


Edited by Sonic 748i - 5/16/10 at 7:23am
post #557 of 620

 

Quote:
To start things off, the Burr Brown PCM1074UK DAC in the HiFiMAN is what is most valuable to the people who buy it.

 

~20$ per unit by 1000 units, twice as expensive as the PCM 1794A which is the second most expensive DAC IC in the Burr Brown line.

post #558 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post

 

 

~20$ per unit by 1000 units, twice as expensive as the PCM 1794A which is the second most expensive DAC IC in the Burr Brown line.


.....Do iPods, Zunes, Cowons, Sansa, etc... have this DAC incorporated into their audio circuitry? No. They use cheaper Wolfson DAC's and some other DAC company that starts with "C"......


Edited by Sonic 748i - 5/16/10 at 7:44am
post #559 of 620

Actually, since I'm never concentrated enough when I need a DAP, I'd prefer save my money on a home rig rather than a portable one.

My portable rig is simply standard mobile phone => Ety Er6i. Nothing fancy, not even a rig to be true.

 

"C" as in Cirrus?

 

Edit: Crystal, I found it.


Edited by khaos974 - 5/16/10 at 8:14am
post #560 of 620


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post




All nick implied was that by setting up a low pass filter, one would be able to mimic the rolled off treble of the 801, and that sonic 748i would in fact prefer the chopped off treble vs the actual CD recording, if in fact that is his preferred sound signature. Also thereby implying that you can achieve the "801 sound" easily by using an EQ.

 

Perhaps I'm spoiled by my clip, but considering how massive the 801 already is, how could you possibly pair it with an amp? To be honest, the first time I saw people using them with the RSA protector here, I literally laughed out loud. Not to mention the size of all those interconnects sticking off it.

 

I used to use a portable CD player not terribly long ago, and it wasn't the most portable thing. But the 801 + amp combo is just ridiculous.
 

 

Speculations about replicating the entire sound quality of a different DAC with a simple EQ adjustment is laughable.   

 

For the record I have both the Clip+ and the HM-801.  While the Clip+ is a fantastic, tiny portable player, it does not sound as good as the HM-801 with my set up. 

 

As for adding an Amp with the HM-801, it's not ridiculous with the Pico Slim, it's very small, in comparison.   A portable CD player is still significantly bulkier.

Edwood_UltimatePortableRig_01.jpg

 

I carry both the above pictured combo with me in my bag everywhere I go.  I also carry the Clip+ as well, since it's so small. 

 

-Ed
 

post #561 of 620
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post

EQ or other sound enhancements should not appear in HiFiMAN because artificial is not hifi.


You know that music reproduction via electrical signals is artificial? As is a nonlinear frequency response from a portable headphone. I'm no EQ lover and renounce equalizing in my home setup, since my there headphones don't need or benefit from it. But I haven't encountered a neutral/linear portable headphone so far. So e.g. I couldn't use an IE 8 with the HM-801, because it needs a 9-dB decrease of low frequencies and a 2-dB treble increase to sound non-artificial to my ears.

 

There's no use from a device renouncing an «artificial» coloration in itself, while the resulting sound in the ears is artificial. So the lack of equalizer is a clear handicap, not a virtue. A portable player like the HM-801 should account for the typical circumstances of music listening on the go.
.


Edited by JaZZ - 5/16/10 at 1:26pm
post #562 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
 The HiFiMAN doesn't have internal memory dedicated to storage of media. It has about 1gb of internal memory for firmware files I believe.

 

 

This is incorrect. The HiFiMAN does have 1 GB of internal memory storage.

Please only make such definitive responses, only if you have one, or know

the specs through proper research. Otherwise you will lead unknowing people astray.

post #563 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



 

This is incorrect. The HiFiMAN does have 1 GB of internal memory storage.

Please only make such definitive responses, only if you have one, or know

the specs through proper research. Otherwise you will lead unknowing people astray.


I have the HiFiMAN, here is what I said: " The HiFiMAN doesn't have internal memory dedicated to storage of media. It has about 1gb of internal memory for firmware files I believe.
 ".


Edited by Sonic 748i - 5/16/10 at 3:44pm
post #564 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Does it do gapless? Does it have an EQ or other sound enhancements (crossfeed, etc)? Does it have file/folder browsing, pan/balance, MSC transfer?
EQ or other sound enhancements should not appear in HiFiMAN because artificial is not hifi.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post

So the lack of equalizer is a clear handicap, not a virtue.


Wow, how long it has been since I asked that question, and how things change... Anyways, did I miss something in this discussion? The Hifiman does have an EQ. Six presets and one 5-band user EQ. It's not a good sounding EQ though, probably a  RockChip(?) default code snippet. At least on firmware 0.15.

post #565 of 620

 

Originally Posted by dfkt View Post


Wow, how long it has been since I asked that question, and how things change... Anyways, did I miss something in this discussion? The Hifiman does have an EQ. Six presets and one 5-band user EQ. It's not a good sounding EQ though, probably a  RockChip(?) default code snippet. At least on firmware 0.15.


In which respect doesn't it sound good? How can a software equalizer sound bad actually?
.

post #566 of 620

Why did you say it doesn't have an EQ?


Edited by dfkt - 5/16/10 at 7:08pm
post #567 of 620
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

Why did you say it doesn't have an EQ?


Because of HiFiMan's well-known statement:

 

Originally Posted by Nankai View Post

EQ or other sound enhancements should not appear in HiFiMAN because artificial is not hifi.

 

What else should it mean?


 
Again: In which respect doesn't the HM-801's equalizer sound good? How can a software equalizer sound bad actually? (I noticed that you have edited your post to remove these questions. Why that?)

.


Edited by JaZZ - 5/16/10 at 11:25pm
post #568 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post




I have the HiFiMAN, here is what I said: " The HiFiMAN doesn't have internal memory dedicated to storage of media. It has about 1gb of internal memory for firmware files I believe.
 ".

The HiFiMAN does have slightly less than 1GB of memory which I use for storage of media. I have one of my 24/96 albums on the the internal memory. It shows up in

"albums" or "artists" mixed in with my songs on the SD card. 
 

post #569 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post



The HiFiMAN does have slightly less than 1GB of memory which I use for storage of media. I have one of my 24/96 albums on the the internal memory. It shows up in

"albums" or "artists" mixed in with my songs on the SD card. 
 


Ok, cool.

post #570 of 620

My god, $700 for a portable DAC.
 

Quote:

 

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i View Post
 


 

To start things off, the Burr Brown PCM1074UK DAC in the HiFiMAN is what is most valuable to the people who buy it. The amplifier inside the HiFiMAN, believe it or not, is the bottleneck of the device. It cripples the HiFiMAN's potential so therefore I bypass it by going line out to a much better external portable amplifier ( RSA The Protector ). The HiFiMAN doesn't have internal memory dedicated to storage of media. It has about 1gb of internal memory for firmware files I believe. It has SD/SDHC card slot for unlimited storage of up to 32gb's at a time. The HiFiMAN by itself is the best sound you can get from a portable DAP but people like me who want to maximize our equipment will use our HiFiMAN as only a portable high end DAC.
 


Edited by trentino - 5/17/10 at 9:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two