or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two - Page 27

post #391 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrog View Post
Can we still expect a second part of this review ? I understand other stuff was happening in Jude's life and sympathise but this has been one hell of a delay. Is anyone else able to review it ? I would like to purchase at the discount price but would like some idea on what it sounds like.

I apologize if I seem insensitive and yes I realize he isn't getting paid for this review but couldn't even the manufacturer expect a better deal than this. I am sure he provided the product with the intention of a review generating posative demand.

Regards

macrog
Impressions do exist. Please check the Can Jam 09 impressions and I believe Edwood is of the members who posted one of the impressions and impressions from other members do exists as well. Even in this forum, the thread "HiFiMAN HM-801 - The best portable audio player - mini-review and discussion" with MD1032 as the the original has a mini review. The link is

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...ussion-436753/

Search could be a really useful function. Also, you've a 30-day return policy. Why not have a try? What have you to lose?
post #392 of 622
I just can't wait until it shows up. The only part that bothers me a little is that I used PayPay, so I was charged long ago. I haven't heard anything like we got your order, but HiFiMAN is going to take a little more time.

Also, I need some sonic bliss. I have a nice set up and listen to it when I am at home, but I am always on the move, and I would love to carry an audiophile player with me.

I paid about $600 when my 3rd gen IPOD classic came out, so $600 for this is not that crazy. Besides, it might be the last portable rig I need to buy in a long time.

We shall see.
post #393 of 622
Yeah, 600usd is not bad. Easily justified by your iPod-point and the fact that I'm also always on the move.

I was scheming a nice home setup with new speakers, source/amp etc. but this seems much more reasonable. Even more so if it truly beats many source-components SQ-wise much higher in the price range.. Time will tell, but I can't wait!
post #394 of 622
i guess the ipods you mention come with storage.

so price isnt equatable there, however at least with this it means no more hard drives giving up the ghost, its modular with flash cards, so the days of whacking/freezing your faulty ipod hd are behinds us now.....and thats not even mentioning the SQ will be better

it has a formidable task in my eyes however, i am very nostalgic about a rig that i deemed to be the best portable rig i have ever heard, that comprised of;

imod 5g
teflon vcap
supermacro 3

let me tell you that outputted some beautiful quality sounds with my etys and 325i's and this thing has to compare with those modular separates....i hope it will!
post #395 of 622
As it has been August, in spite of the fact he would ship by the end of July, I requested Nankai for some information about shipping date in the other forum, HM-801 pre-order thread.
But, my comment has been just deleted. Not answering the shipping schedule. Not ignoring my question. Just deleted. Twice.
It is curious...
post #396 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhunternyc View Post
I am very excited about the forthcoming reviews of this audio device. The HiFiMan and the JH-13 Pro IEM should make a killer combo.


Have you have an experience of the pairing? very intersting to know more details. I also interesting the pairing with IE8 for the reasonable price.
post #397 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai_U View Post
As it has been August, in spite of the fact he would ship by the end of July, I requested Nankai for some information about shipping date in the other forum, HM-801 pre-order thread.
But, my comment has been just deleted. Not answering the shipping schedule. Not ignoring my question. Just deleted. Twice.
It is curious...
Maybe if you read your PM's, you would know why it was deleted twice.

Not so strange.

If you have a direct question for the manufacturer, as I stated in my PM to you, please contact him directly. You have 1 post and your post was aggressive, hostile and off-topic, and it was in
a MOT sponsored thread.

Also, mentioning deleted posts, is a bannable offense.
post #398 of 622
here is my thought about some of the complains~

about the storage topic, i too hopping that Nankai could throw in a 4G or 8G SD card in it(simply because i dont have any,only one i got is 1G and my 2G got stolen by a pretty girl in uni when i was nice enough to help her out with her computer!) but hey~ u r talking to a person set up the home network NAS system with homePlug and multiple pcs and wireless system as mesh network~ and play video and audio files on portable device like X51v and 5580 etc etc~ i had unlimited storage and twelve spare batteries on my palm yet i ordered Hifiman this morning and give up all the flexibility

consider this, many people here r into vinyl ~ how about that for size and storage factor~ and if you remember those days that you have to carry one of those soft pvc pad CD-Rom storage that stores only 10 to 30 discs to friends house to help them fix computer or just for music pleasure~ hows that compare to SD ??

not long ago i was looking into buying MD simply because of their SQ but u must already know the problem with uploading the sounds to MD takes long time with USB transfer speed and in-flexible too ~

so stop complaining about the storage factor etc etc, u lived the Vinyl,CD,MD era and you were happy with that, how much things has changed already ?

many r happy with their 32G ipc or touch and thats most so far u can get and that just another point.

with SD i actually find it amazing flexible! lets say you got two SD card, one you listening while the 2nd one can do file transfer at same time with your computer~ it takes so much less time compare to if you got one 120GB HDD built in DAP and u dont have to worry about the HDD damage and all your collection is dead !

some complain about not having the flexibility of having all collections on hand and listen to it any time, oh please ~ u r making me laugh lol lets not mention about even those 120GB ipod battery wont last till you finished listen to all of them here~ but have you hear about natural selection principle ? so here you got 32G SD and you dump it full but then u delete some, then you add some then you delete some again ~ gradually you got this 32G SD full of musics that you cant live with out or must have then ~ fine, the selection process is done, that SD card is a must have so you just go buy the 2nd one ~ because you know the 1st one is die hard collection and you wont move it any more and its a must have when u out and about testing all the rigs ? so why worry about the flexibility you claim as must have ?? u have true flexibility here compare to later when your 120G ipod is full , then you will really have to get a 2nd 120G ipod, which cost more you do the math
post #399 of 622
My 160gb (~250usd, what I paid for it) iPod's battery runs at 35-40 hours. It's storage is full. I will have to purchase many 32GB sdhc cards to hold what I'm currently holding. They are expensive. I have to pay for the CDs I purchase + the card (Two formats) AND do the conversion. That's a lot of money and time/effort.

I'm not complaining, oh no. Just giving you an objective conclusion to chew on
post #400 of 622
can we change internal DAC?? can this be used as dac only or ampli only and use external amp??
post #401 of 622
It can, from what I've understood, be used as an external DAC either through coax or usb. I don't think you can only use it as an amp, since it doesn't hold any analog inputs.

Not sure about the swappability of the dac, though.
post #402 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by electropop View Post
My 160gb (~250usd, what I paid for it) iPod's battery runs at 35-40 hours. It's storage is full. I will have to purchase many 32GB sdhc cards to hold what I'm currently holding. They are expensive. I have to pay for the CDs I purchase + the card (Two formats) AND do the conversion. That's a lot of money and time/effort.

I'm not complaining, oh no. Just giving you an objective conclusion to chew on
guess my perspective is for people from the ground up i could understand why it will cost you heeps~

but still, for people who already establish tons of music collections, by now their storage might already been nearly full and they still have to pick the pocket and get brand new one like i said, so the cost still substantial hence if HiFiMan got storage will be short term fix ~

to me any thing thats fixed storage is only short term fix, as i said before~ i rather have the flexibility that i m able to listen to the music while on the other hand transfer music to my spare SD. for storage DAP you cant do that as you have to wait for the file to finish transfer~ so i m in-line with Nankai to think SD is ideal method ~

before his announcement i was worry the project will go dust as it takes too long and i would think may be the project facing some difficulty etc ?

the price is not cheap to us but also not very good margin to Nankai too from his point of view actually consider all the warranty terms etc items like this might busted the chip here and there and raise warranty issue plus he have to take risk when shipping out from china (u never know if things got swap in the mail by post man~ noT racist Nankai,i m chinese Australian too)

if indeed the chips alone going to add up to 100+ for all the trouble, i would think the profit margin not that good consider he doesnt have economic of scale so minus the 10%=60 , and design~ module ~ etc etc, the profit might be less than 100 for the 1st batch order ?
post #403 of 622
thanks electropop for the information, the pics only show us how to swap internal amp-module, but not sure about swapping the dac or rolling opamps
post #404 of 622
Nankai suggested that it wouldn't be possible, unless you were extremely handy with this sort of things
post #405 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeo View Post
Impressions do exist. Please check the Can Jam 09 impressions and I believe Edwood is of the members who posted one of the impressions and impressions from other members do exists as well. Even in this forum, the thread "HiFiMAN HM-801 - The best portable audio player - mini-review and discussion" with MD1032 as the the original has a mini review. The link is

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/newrep...eply&p=5911003

Search could be a really useful function. Also, you've a 30-day return policy. Why not have a try? What have you to lose?
Hi,

just for people interested in the MD1032 review, the correct link is this one :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...ussion-436753/

Thanks for giving the title of the thread anyway, was easy to find this way
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two