or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two - Page 11

post #151 of 622
Nankai:

On the Specification for the Hifiman, on the output you list, headphone out, line out. Can you elaborate more on the line out section? How many line out are there, one for Dac and one for amp? is it selectable? what is the format for the connection? Thanks.
post #152 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post
Nankai:

On the Specification for the Hifiman, on the output you list, headphone out, line out. Can you elaborate more on the line out section? How many line out are there, one for Dac and one for amp? is it selectable? what is the format for the connection? Thanks.
One line-out. Line-out is only for amp. 3.5mm mini socket.

Click for detail
Reply
post #153 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post
And then flac cuts at least 1/3 of that. On my 40 GB H-140 I have about 100 cd's in flac.
Cutting by 1/3 is a very good estimate. Theorectically, lossless compression can cut only up to 1/2 of the original size in general. Hence a 40GB HD can take maximum of 80 GB WAV files encoded in Apple lossless format in general, that is about the memory size of 130 CDs. I've no experience with FLAC but the principle still follows.

Sometimes a file is difficult to be compressed and the comperssion ratio will then be reduced. Getting 100 CDs on a 40GB HD is very good.

Finally, now the the length of the CDs is becoming shorter and shorter (true at least for CDs released in HK) so one can have more and more CDs on the same DAP but the length of the music that can be stored will not be altered.
post #154 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONAKONA View Post

I remember one time I ripped a CD at 48hz wave or something weird like that and it came out to 1.4gb per CD.
That's quite strange. A 16/44.1 CD for 1 minute, takes
16 (Bits) * 441.k (samples) * 60 (seconds) *2 (2 sound tracks for stereo)

= 2 Byte * 44100 * 60 * 2 = 10.584 MB (use 1MB = 1,000,000B)

That's the reason that a 65 mins CD takes about 700MB.

For a 65 mins 24/28 CD (the standard format before mixing), the size would be 1.123 GB. May I ask the format of your CD and its length as well?
post #155 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
I will, however, make some comments later tonight. I think this is a product that isn't, at first, easy to understand--it is rather unique.
Well it's unique AFAIK in implementation but the idea of better-sounding mp3 players specifically aimed at high-end listeners isn't. Kenwood has been doing that sort of thing for years, starting with the HD20GA7, which was completely devoid of features but used a class D amp, was optimized for wave playback and was gapless with wave, and did sound better than anything on the market at the time. Then there was the JVC Alneo XA-HD500 which was more conventional in its approach but also catered to high-end listeners. Then you also have stuff like the Pacemaker which is aimed more at the professional market but is still very different from your usual consumer fare.

Point is, the concept certainly isn't unique, but I don't want to rain on your enthusiasm for this player since I think it's a great idea. The market for high-end IEMs has proven to be one heck of a lot bigger than anybody anticipated and it's only natural that high-end players will follow suit.

Now if only there was a music service that offered 24/192... I heard Dark Side of the Moon in 24/192 on one of the best speaker setups in the world and man that was amazing! But this will come in time too, I think.
post #156 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
Now if only there was a music service that offered 24/192... I heard Dark Side of the Moon in 24/192 on one of the best speaker setups in the world and man that was amazing! But this will come in time too, I think.
Linn has started offering thier Studio Masters in 24/192. Not many available yet but more comming.
post #157 of 622

Why only 50% compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeo View Post
Cutting by 1/3 is a very good estimate. Theorectically, lossless compression can cut only up to 1/2 of the original size in general.
What is your theory for compression of sound files?
It seems to me that lossless compression by FLAC depends entirely on the information content of the underlying music. If the recording is silent (or even monotonic), then the resulting data stream can be compressed almost to nothing, i.e. a very small fraction of hte original size, allowing for format overheads.
Leo
post #158 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunbun View Post
What is your theory for compression of sound files?
It seems to me that lossless compression by FLAC depends entirely on the information content of the underlying music. If the recording is silent (or even monotonic), then the resulting data stream can be compressed almost to nothing, i.e. a very small fraction of hte original size, allowing for format overheads.
Leo
That's why I use the qualifier "in general" as indicated in your post that had quoted my words. There are cases that the files cannot be compressed at all. The average compression ratio is 1/2 on average for lossless compressions (on average = in general, my meaning of in general) without assuming any particular pattern in the files.
post #159 of 622
As I stated earlier I get about 1/3 saving. I have about 100 cd's on my 40 GB drive most being classical so normally over 60 minutes per cd but assuming the raw data was 600 MB per cd gives roughly 60 GB with a 1/3 saving resulting in 40 GB. All roughly counting as I'm not about to add each cd up to make an exact count.
post #160 of 622
Very nice product concept. But until it goes well with Apple Lossless I'll be stuck.

Also I would want to see how serious will there be alternative "amp modules" in the not too distant future.

F. Lo
post #161 of 622
It would be interesting to know what the default amp module is.

I mean, is it just a cmoy made of opa637's?
post #162 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeo View Post
That's quite strange. A 16/44.1 CD for 1 minute, takes
16 (Bits) * 441.k (samples) * 60 (seconds) *2 (2 sound tracks for stereo)

= 2 Byte * 44100 * 60 * 2 = 10.584 MB (use 1MB = 1,000,000B)

That's the reason that a 65 mins CD takes about 700MB.

For a 65 mins 24/28 CD (the standard format before mixing), the size would be 1.123 GB. May I ask the format of your CD and its length as well?
CD was standard format, but I was ripping at 48hz for the lulz and what not. Methinks it was a full 70 min CD as well.

Wait, why are we still on this subject again?
post #163 of 622
I was thinking of getting a portable player in the future ... and wondering if any are made especially for hi-fi enthusiast well, i'm happy such good players exist.
post #164 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONAKONA View Post
CD was standard format, but I was ripping at 48hz for the lulz and what not. Methinks it was a full 70 min CD as well.

Wait, why are we still on this subject again?
How can you rip redbook cd audio - which is 16/44.1 - at 48khz?

How would that even work?
post #165 of 622
Some ripper apps seem to do it, but it's of course simply stupid, making the files bigger while lowering the quality (marginally, depending on the resampling algorithm) : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ri...4-1khz-147862/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 Portable Player / DAC Review: Part One of Two