Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread - Page 268

post #4006 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

"Star" tips are a new silicone tip Westone just came out with.  Being sold only as an accessory and also with some of the W-series product.  Much better than the bullet tips IMHO. 

I looked on their website but didnt see them, link?

post #4007 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneboi View Post

I looked on their website but didnt see them, link?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636138/will-this-be-called-the-westone-epic-tip

 

Sensational on the UM3X.  You may have to call Westone and ask.  I thought they were now available.  Variety pack for $20 or $25

post #4008 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636138/will-this-be-called-the-westone-epic-tip

 

Sensational on the UM3X.  You may have to call Westone and ask.  I thought they were now available.  Variety pack for $20 or $25

OK, thanks. They look nice and the do have the shape of comply's. Are they soft like the bullets?

post #4009 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636138/will-this-be-called-the-westone-epic-tip

 

Sensational on the UM3X.  You may have to call Westone and ask.  I thought they were now available.  Variety pack for $20 or $25

I just asked them about it yesterday and they said they will be available within the next few weeks.

post #4010 of 4249

Well thats that. Im just glad i read this entire thread pretty much. I was so hesitant on buying another universal but the UM3X have surpassed my old IEM's (TF10,IE8,SE530). And now ill be able to relax for a while...biggrin.gif

post #4011 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneboi View Post

OK, thanks. They look nice and the do have the shape of comply's. Are they soft like the bullets?

Yes, about the same.  Maybe a tad firmer which I like.  Sturdy but still comfy.

post #4012 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Yes, about the same.  Maybe a tad firmer which I like.  Sturdy but still comfy.

Yeah, sounds good. I was thinking about getting some custom tips...but ill buy these when theyre released and if they seem like theyll be good, ill save some more money =).

post #4013 of 4249

Um3x needs good source especially need a amp ! When you drive it with a good quality amp , sounds superb !! 

 

My setup is iMod ipod video 5.5 gen and headstage arrow 4  , I set the bass and treble  level 1 from the arrow , Sounds perfect to me ;)


Edited by veracocha - 1/18/13 at 3:03am
post #4014 of 4249

I'm using them with Colorfly CK4 and CD-players at home. Super combos.
Mainstream players are good, but amps is improving.

post #4015 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by veracocha View Post

Um3x needs good source especially need a amp ! When you drive it with a good quality amp , sounds superb !! 

 

My setup is iMod ipod video 5.5 gen and headstage arrow 4  , I set the bass and treble  level 1 from the arrow , Sounds perfect to me ;)

I strongly disagree with this. The UM3X is nowhere near as transparent as other IEM's in its price range, and doesn't suffer from having a bad source. Likewise, you really do not "especially need" an amp to drive these things. I have been using them straight from my iPhone 4s and my clip+, and I noticed very little difference than when using them with the higher quality amp and dac in my desktop setup. If anything it is the quality of the recording that makes the difference, lossy formats just won't cut it; but if you're running lossless than you're good to go.

post #4016 of 4249

What do you lot make of the UM3X for metal or rock music?

 

fast thrash/speed metal. Led Zepp. etc.

post #4017 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael172 View Post

What do you lot make of the UM3X for metal or rock music?

 

fast thrash/speed metal. Led Zepp. etc.

I've been listening to a lot of skillet lately, and it fairs quite well. The vocals sound pleasant and they aren't overpowered by guitar or drums - even on some of their heavier songs. The drums have great impact, but a good seal is necessary to achieve an adequate bass response (I use the longer comply tips, they are really comfy and slightly emphasise bass, which I like). Guitars sound amazing, perfect in my opinion. With high quality recordings, the UM3X is excellent at reproducing the little details with excellent clarity. I would assume you would experience similar results when listening to Led Zepp /most metal artists. I'm not really into metal though so I cannot really confirm, but I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. 

post #4018 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCee View Post

I've been listening to a lot of skillet lately, and it fairs quite well. The vocals sound pleasant and they aren't overpowered by guitar or drums - even on some of their heavier songs. The drums have great impact, but a good seal is necessary to achieve an adequate bass response (I use the longer comply tips, they are really comfy and slightly emphasise bass, which I like). Guitars sound amazing, perfect in my opinion. With high quality recordings, the UM3X is excellent at reproducing the little details with excellent clarity. I would assume you would experience similar results when listening to Led Zepp /most metal artists. I'm not really into metal though so I cannot really confirm, but I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them. 

 

I

Ive been using them a few days now and just wanted to know other peoples opinions on them. The new Westone tips are a BIG improvement over the old ones. I felt the UM3X was too bassy for metal, overpowering the mids and the highs. But the new longer silicone tip (blue) seems to remove some of the bass and let the mids and highs back through. hardly an ideal fit but worth the drawback. Very very happy with them coming from RE262

post #4019 of 4249

Where do you buy the new tips? I'd like to give them a try.

post #4020 of 4249

I love hard stuff, so UM3x are the best earphones for this. For example Slipknot, All Shall Perish, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Soulfly etc. Natural, agressive and beautiful. Other music is perfect too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread