Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread - Page 263

post #3931 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post


Westone will replace them for you. I had them do it on a um2. If I remember correctly, it was under $20 and they decided to replace the rc cable for no charge.

It's free if it's under warranty.

post #3932 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

I have to say that even though I wasn't impressed with the UM3x at first, it really grows on you. I'm selling my TF10 now (terrible fit...) and even considering selling the ER4 now too. It just feels so thin compared to the UM3x. This is an IEM that really doesn't stand out at first, but it does so many things well that you can't help but love it after using it. I'm getting a pair of Heir 4.Ais, so we'll see how they compare.

How would you compare your Etys to these? Do they compare well in the imaging and detail department? And is the bass considerably more?

post #3933 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjt93 View Post

It's free if it's under warranty.

Yes if under warranty. Mine was over 2 years out if warranty. Pretty fair price I think and good customer service.
post #3934 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt View Post

How would you compare your Etys to these? Do they compare well in the imaging and detail department? And is the bass considerably more?

 

The bass is quite a bit more, but I wouldn't call either of their bass heavy. The UM3x probably has a bit more weight.

 

Really though, I just like the imaging and spacing of the UM3x a lot better. The mids and vocals are exactly where I want them to be, slightly ahead of my head.

 

Detail, the Etys win, but they're quite a bit more fatiguing too. The UM3x is perfect when it comes to easy listening. That and the fact that they're easily the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

post #3935 of 4249

Compared to Etys, the UM3X will sound like bass cannons.  Easily 2-3 times more qty and weight but I am saying that more about how light the Ety bass  is versus how big the UM3X bass is.

 

Main difference is Ety accentuates the upper midrange and treble where UM3X accentuates the midrange and bass.  Other than that they are similar in what they do.  The ability to add some treble EQ makes the UM3X a far better IEM, let alone the dynamic range also dwarfs the Ety being a triple driver.  Unless you are an extreme treble head the UM3X beats it soundly.

post #3936 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt View Post

How would you compare your Etys to these? Do they compare well in the imaging and detail department? And is the bass considerably more?

I don't find the loss of detail significant, and once you've been listening to the UM3Xs for a while, I don't find myself noticing anything missing.  Swapping straight from the 4Ps (as in, within a few minutes/hours) will have you thinking "WTF do I do with all this bass", but after a while (minutes) you should become accustomed, and what you're left with is a velvety-smooth sound that is still very detailed, but powerful when the track calls for it.  I just love the presence it gives strings and female vocals over the ER4s, and I also exclusively use it when listening to EDM/Dubstep.

 

I still listen with my ER4s, but most of the time I go straight for the UM3Xs, because I find he music loses very little up top and gains some much-needed presence and flavour in the bass and (more-so) the mids.

post #3937 of 4249

Hello Everybody I'm new here.

 

I was wondering what is the exact difference between UM3X and the Westone 4R, which one do you think sounds better?

 

Thanks for everyone's input.

post #3938 of 4249

Has anyone heard the B&W C5s, and be able to compare them to the UM3X. Locally, thats about as high end as I can get locally.

 

Thanks

post #3939 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

 

The bass is quite a bit more, but I wouldn't call either of their bass heavy. The UM3x probably has a bit more weight.

 

Really though, I just like the imaging and spacing of the UM3x a lot better. The mids and vocals are exactly where I want them to be, slightly ahead of my head.

 

Detail, the Etys win, but they're quite a bit more fatiguing too. The UM3x is perfect when it comes to easy listening. That and the fact that they're easily the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Compared to Etys, the UM3X will sound like bass cannons.  Easily 2-3 times more qty and weight but I am saying that more about how light the Ety bass  is versus how big the UM3X bass is.

 

Main difference is Ety accentuates the upper midrange and treble where UM3X accentuates the midrange and bass.  Other than that they are similar in what they do.  The ability to add some treble EQ makes the UM3X a far better IEM, let alone the dynamic range also dwarfs the Ety being a triple driver.  Unless you are an extreme treble head the UM3X beats it soundly.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov-21 View Post

I don't find the loss of detail significant, and once you've been listening to the UM3Xs for a while, I don't find myself noticing anything missing.  Swapping straight from the 4Ps (as in, within a few minutes/hours) will have you thinking "WTF do I do with all this bass", but after a while (minutes) you should become accustomed, and what you're left with is a velvety-smooth sound that is still very detailed, but powerful when the track calls for it.  I just love the presence it gives strings and female vocals over the ER4s, and I also exclusively use it when listening to EDM/Dubstep.

 

I still listen with my ER4s, but most of the time I go straight for the UM3Xs, because I find he music loses very little up top and gains some much-needed presence and flavour in the bass and (more-so) the mids.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear. My Cowon seems to overdo the high frequencies when compared to my friends Ipod, so a focus on the lower end is a welcome thing.

post #3940 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt View Post


Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear. My Cowon seems to overdo the high frequencies when compared to my friends Ipod, so a focus on the lower end is a welcome thing.

They pair very well with bright-sounding players. I think you will be pleased smily_headphones1.gif
post #3941 of 4249

Random comment:

 

While I prefer silicon tips for comfort....the um3x's sound infinitely better with the grey foamies they come with.  A shame I don't find them nearly as comfortable as the large grey silicon tips.  Just a heads up, the tips really do matter on these imo.  Even if you don't like foamies, might be worth it just to try them out.

post #3942 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrocks View Post

Hello Everybody I'm new here.

 

I was wondering what is the exact difference between UM3X and the Westone 4R, which one do you think sounds better?

 

Thanks for everyone's input.

The 4R is more neutrally balanced and has a more spread out expansive soundstage.  It is warm and somewhat laid back sounding.  Very smooth, very professional.  All frequencies well represented.  I would call UM3X more aggressive, more forward with a more intimate soundstage.  Gorgeous midrange and a decent treble that responds well to some added EQ.  Bass is more abundant and slams harder but it is not overdone.  Also a very butter smooth and refined sounding IEM.  

 

Someone that prefers perfection and balance would probably prefer the 4R and someone that wants to rock out to the music might prefer UM3X.  No better, just different at this level.

post #3943 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

Random comment:

 

While I prefer silicon tips for comfort....the um3x's sound infinitely better with the grey foamies they come with.  A shame I don't find them nearly as comfortable as the large grey silicon tips.  Just a heads up, the tips really do matter on these imo.  Even if you don't like foamies, might be worth it just to try them out.

Try the Shure black (olive) foamies... you may find you like them even more.

post #3944 of 4249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov-21 View Post

Try the Shure black (olive) foamies... you may find you like them even more.

Those are definitely the best tips I've used, comfort wise and sound wise
post #3945 of 4249

I'm with you friends! =)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread