Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread - Page 259

post #3871 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo View Post

Dear guhmo,
 
coming from an Ety, the transition is simpler, since they are sort of cousins​​. Think of a UM3X as the evolution of Ety ER4S, since both share the same "sound orientation". I hope you understand what I mean...
 
As the soundstage, the UM3X has no problem. It represents EXACTLY what has been recorded, without adding fake ambient space in the music.
 
Awesome piece of engineering, in the end.
 
Cheers,
 
Peter
 

 

Yeah I get what you mean, it's accurate but musical... a truly rare gem in the world of IEMs :)

Yes, you expressed what I meant where you say that it keeps what's been recorded.. Binaural recordings sound brilliant, and well recorded/mastered albums like The Dark Side of the Moon coupled with the marvellous instrument separation... amazing :)

post #3872 of 4288

after a year, still puking rainbows and get goosebumps listening with these on =p~

post #3873 of 4288

I've upgraded to a pair of UM3X from the PFE112 and am in Rock N Roll Heaven!

 

I have a quick question, I have 3 extra unused pairs of medium sized PFE silicone eartips.

Will these work with the UM3X, and if so, would I void my warranty by using them?

 

Thanks,

 

Milan

post #3874 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockphantom View Post

I've upgraded to a pair of UM3X from the PFE112 and am in Rock N Roll Heaven!

 

I have a quick question, I have 3 extra unused pairs of medium sized PFE silicone eartips.

Will these work with the UM3X, and if so, would I void my warranty by using them?

 

Thanks,

 

Milan

Give it a try. You won't void your warranty, they just might not fit.

post #3875 of 4288

i have been thinking to get an custom tips for the um3x.

can anyone give me advice whether to get the custom tips or just stick to the shure olives?

any kind of advice will be appreciated

post #3876 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfarron View Post

i have been thinking to get an custom tips for the um3x.

can anyone give me advice whether to get the custom tips or just stick to the shure olives?

any kind of advice will be appreciated

 

For me, the medium shure olives cured me of the itch to upgrade to customs.

post #3877 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

Got my second pair of these on the way. I'm looking at the JDS Labs C421 (leaning towards the AD8620 opamps); does anyone have experience with this combo? I'd be using it with my iPod (5.5g) and iPhone 4 via LOD.

Not sure if you are still in the market, but I reviewed both the c421 and um3-x on my blog.

 

A wonderful match!

post #3878 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post

Not sure if you are still in the market, but I reviewed both the c421 and um3-x on my blog.

 

A wonderful match!

 

They are indeed! smily_headphones1.gif I have been happily using them for a few weeks now.

 

Edit: Here's a photo I posted in the Portable Rig thread:

 

 

700


Edited by calipilot227 - 7/21/12 at 6:35pm
post #3879 of 4288

I also have been enjoying both um3x and sm3. Both share similar qualities. I prefer the instrument separation, layering, neutral and balanced sound of the um3x. The um3x is fascinating and interesting to hear how the music is played.

 

The sm3 excels with it's wider sound stage, more quantity sub and mid bass and treble. The sm3 has a thicker note which to my ears sounds better with electronic, rock and pop.  The sm3 is wonderful to listen to music as a whole.  

 

Both are great IEMs.

 

BTW, does anyone know of a full sized can that has similar sound signatures and SQ as either the um3x/sm3?

post #3880 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

I also have been enjoying both um3x and sm3. Both share similar qualities. I prefer the instrument separation, layering, neutral and balanced sound of the um3x. The um3x is fascinating and interesting to hear how the music is played.

 

The sm3 excels with it's wider sound stage, more quantity sub and mid bass and treble. The sm3 has a thicker note which to my ears sounds better with electronic, rock and pop.  The sm3 is wonderful to listen to music as a whole.  

 

Both are great IEMs.

 

BTW, does anyone know of a full sized can that has similar sound signatures and SQ as either the um3x/sm3?

 

Sennheiser HD650

post #3881 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

 

Sennheiser HD650

More like the um3x?

post #3882 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

More like the um3x?

It's hard to explain. I would say it actually has elements of both, maybe closer to the sm3 due to the soundstage?

 

I'm just going by memory, I have briefly auditioned the HD650 and I sold the sm3 about 6 months ago. I never had a chance to A/B the two.

post #3883 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfarron View Post

i have been thinking to get an custom tips for the um3x.

can anyone give me advice whether to get the custom tips or just stick to the shure olives?

any kind of advice will be appreciated

 

I have the UM56 custom tips that I bought once upon a time to go with the W4.  I find that the W4 benefits from the custom tips more so than the UM3X.  I prefer the Shure gray silicone tips on my UM3X for ease of insertion and removal.  I find the bass is tighter with silicone over foam but that's just what I've found.  I do like the shure olives too.

 

I've had my UM3X for about 6 months now.  Still one of my favorite universals with wonderfully intimate vocals and superb layering and separation.  I tend to just use them from the nano or iphone ho but they sounded pretty awesome with the O2 when I had it.

post #3884 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

 

I have the UM56 custom tips that I bought once upon a time to go with the W4.  I find that the W4 benefits from the custom tips more so than the UM3X.  I prefer the Shure gray silicone tips on my UM3X for ease of insertion and removal.  I find the bass is tighter with silicone over foam but that's just what I've found.  I do like the shure olives too.

 

I've had my UM3X for about 6 months now.  Still one of my favorite universals with wonderfully intimate vocals and superb layering and separation.  I tend to just use them from the nano or iphone ho but they sounded pretty awesome with the O2 when I had it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

 

For me, the medium shure olives cured me of the itch to upgrade to customs.

 


thanks. i guess im just gonna stick with the shure olives for now

post #3885 of 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

More like the um3x?

FWIW- I used to have the Senn 650s and like them alt, but now I have the Beyer DT-880 600 ohm that gives me a bit more midrange presence and more closely matches my monitor speakers.  You have to use tubes, IMHO, to get the best out of them though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread