^ i am already using the largest stock comply tip and my right ear is not as sealed as the left even when using apple earbuds the right earphone won't behave on my right ear and falls off a bit
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/25/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/2/11
- productWestone ES3Xtagged by System, 6/16/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 6/16/10
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 6/24/10
- productWestone UM3X / 3X - True Triple Armature Drivers In-ear Monitor Professional Earphonetagged by System, 7/17/10
Related Forum Threads
- Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried? Last post on 6/24/14 at 11:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 or save for Westone ES 5 ?? Last post on 3/3/11 at 9:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- which customs Earsonics or Westone? Last post on 8/27/10 at 6:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 3 Impressions Thread Last post on 9/14/14 at 6:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/3/14
- Posting GuidelinesLast edited: 7/13/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread - Page 256
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3827 of 42494/5/12 at 4:21ampost #3828 of 42494/5/12 at 5:32am
i made a modded hybrid before, cutting the fcomply tip's core.. there was a significant change on the SQ, the highs on the um3x became lively but i think it had more prominent sibilance with "sss" which i think is the track/recording's fault and my library is mostly ALAC..
my preference was the large stock complys.. i hear all the details very clearly and it eats the sibilance (though it's still there but tolerable) and eats some of the spark it had..
i felt that my right ear is kinda vented on the um3x but on the w4r it's lesser because of the bigger or tubby housing that I push further on my rightpost #3829 of 42494/9/12 at 9:24am
The size of the nozzle has a lot to do with the size of the soundstage in a headphone. The short nozzle makes a smooth insertion by allowing outside sounds to interact with the sound of the headphone, bringing aeration and incrementing the size of soundstage in the overall sound.
Quote:post #3830 of 42494/9/12 at 9:30amSince these are sealed BA housings, I've not found letting ambient noise in, through a looser fit, have any direct correlation to soundstaging. Instead dynamics and midrange placement have more impact on soundstage for me. Dynamics affecting depth and midrange placement affecting both width and closeness.post #3831 of 42494/10/12 at 7:22pm
Any chance of sharing what frequencies you boosted and by how much (and what band/Q-value?) I keep trying to EQ my various 'phones, but it's pot luck as to whether I manage to boost/cut the bits that I mean to without making other sounds/freqs sound unnatural.
Quote:post #3832 of 42494/15/12 at 6:04pm
Hey does anyone know how to test the fit of these earphones? I recently have been switching between these and my vmoda m-80s and with nothing playing, I find the m-80s are just as isolating as the UM3x (maybe even a little more?). I have to play it at a significant volume before I can start blocking out outside noise.
I was told that these are super isolating though and should vastly outperform the vmoda's which are poor isolators... Is there a way to know exactly how well these are fitting and most importantly, if it isn't properly sealed, does that mean I am getting significantly inferior SQ or is it just a difference in isolation? I am kind of paranoid now that they are not sealing properly and have no idea how to test for it.
I am not so worried about isolation as I know others cannot hear me, which is what is most important since I work in quiet environments.post #3833 of 42494/16/12 at 1:20pm
Would the UM3X be better than the Sennheiser IE 80 for my music? I listen to Rock, Classical (more on Pianos), Pop (not today's pop styles) and Blues.post #3834 of 42494/16/12 at 5:24pmQuote:
Honestly it's not about music style but more what presentation you prefer.
UM3X are about detail/separation with an intimate soundstage.
IE80 are all about soundstage (cathedral-like, but less detail, less separation).
Very different in the end.
I prefer UM3X by far but this is just me, others may prefer IE80.
post #3835 of 42494/17/12 at 8:50pmpost #3836 of 42494/17/12 at 9:28pmQuote:
if you want more focus on the pianoes, electric guitars etc.
and want to feel the intimacy and emotion on vocals.. um3x
if you want a natural and coherent presentation
you may also want to consider isolation so it will be um3x stillpost #3837 of 42494/18/12 at 11:49pm
Yay, just got a um3x, I can now join this thread :D
Can you guys help me though, I need an amp for these to pair with my ipod classic. I got a budget of around £100
I have found the UM3X to be really bland with some songs which is why I want an amp to add some personality to the sound. Any reccomendations?post #3838 of 42494/19/12 at 5:28amI found the FiiO E11 on high gain with no bass boost and a LOD to be a great combination with the iPhone and UM3X. The E5 and E6 are okay with it but definitely not stellar. You can get the E11 and an LOD for about USD$65 right now which I believe is about 40GBP.post #3839 of 42494/19/12 at 6:18amQuote:
Cheers, didn't really consider the E11, I was looking at either the E7 or E17 but I can't seem to find a comparison between the modelspost #3840 of 42494/19/12 at 6:27amQuote:
The E7 vs E11 most likely won't be much of a difference, as the E7 won't override your iPod's DAC like it would with a computer source. I've heard the E17 is a huge improvement though; you'll still be using your iPod's onboard DAC but from what I understand the E17 really improves the sound tremendously. Not 100% on that.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Great headsets for around $100? 37 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 49 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 57 seconds ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 4-45 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › DAC + AMP Combo For Newbies? 3 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 3 minutes ago
- › DAP selection FiiO X3 vs FiiO X1 vs DX50 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 4 minutes ago
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)