^ i am already using the largest stock comply tip and my right ear is not as sealed as the left even when using apple earbuds the right earphone won't behave on my right ear and falls off a bit
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 6/25/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/2/11
- productWestone ES3Xtagged by System, 6/16/10
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 6/16/10
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 6/24/10
- productWestone UM3X / 3X - True Triple Armature Drivers In-ear Monitor Professional Earphonetagged by System, 7/17/10
Related Forum Threads
- Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried? Last post on 2/2/14 at 8:27am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 or save for Westone ES 5 ?? Last post on 3/3/11 at 9:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- which customs Earsonics or Westone? Last post on 8/27/10 at 6:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD Last post on 3/4/14 at 11:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Posting GuidelinesLast edited: 2/26/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread - Page 256
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3827 of 42114/5/12 at 4:21ampost #3828 of 42114/5/12 at 5:32am
i made a modded hybrid before, cutting the fcomply tip's core.. there was a significant change on the SQ, the highs on the um3x became lively but i think it had more prominent sibilance with "sss" which i think is the track/recording's fault and my library is mostly ALAC..
my preference was the large stock complys.. i hear all the details very clearly and it eats the sibilance (though it's still there but tolerable) and eats some of the spark it had..
i felt that my right ear is kinda vented on the um3x but on the w4r it's lesser because of the bigger or tubby housing that I push further on my rightpost #3829 of 42114/9/12 at 9:24am
The size of the nozzle has a lot to do with the size of the soundstage in a headphone. The short nozzle makes a smooth insertion by allowing outside sounds to interact with the sound of the headphone, bringing aeration and incrementing the size of soundstage in the overall sound.
Quote:post #3830 of 42114/9/12 at 9:30amSince these are sealed BA housings, I've not found letting ambient noise in, through a looser fit, have any direct correlation to soundstaging. Instead dynamics and midrange placement have more impact on soundstage for me. Dynamics affecting depth and midrange placement affecting both width and closeness.post #3831 of 42114/10/12 at 7:22pm
Any chance of sharing what frequencies you boosted and by how much (and what band/Q-value?) I keep trying to EQ my various 'phones, but it's pot luck as to whether I manage to boost/cut the bits that I mean to without making other sounds/freqs sound unnatural.
Quote:post #3832 of 42114/15/12 at 6:04pm
Hey does anyone know how to test the fit of these earphones? I recently have been switching between these and my vmoda m-80s and with nothing playing, I find the m-80s are just as isolating as the UM3x (maybe even a little more?). I have to play it at a significant volume before I can start blocking out outside noise.
I was told that these are super isolating though and should vastly outperform the vmoda's which are poor isolators... Is there a way to know exactly how well these are fitting and most importantly, if it isn't properly sealed, does that mean I am getting significantly inferior SQ or is it just a difference in isolation? I am kind of paranoid now that they are not sealing properly and have no idea how to test for it.
I am not so worried about isolation as I know others cannot hear me, which is what is most important since I work in quiet environments.post #3833 of 42114/16/12 at 1:20pm
Would the UM3X be better than the Sennheiser IE 80 for my music? I listen to Rock, Classical (more on Pianos), Pop (not today's pop styles) and Blues.post #3834 of 42114/16/12 at 5:24pmQuote:
Honestly it's not about music style but more what presentation you prefer.
UM3X are about detail/separation with an intimate soundstage.
IE80 are all about soundstage (cathedral-like, but less detail, less separation).
Very different in the end.
I prefer UM3X by far but this is just me, others may prefer IE80.
post #3835 of 42114/17/12 at 8:50pmpost #3836 of 42114/17/12 at 9:28pmQuote:
if you want more focus on the pianoes, electric guitars etc.
and want to feel the intimacy and emotion on vocals.. um3x
if you want a natural and coherent presentation
you may also want to consider isolation so it will be um3x stillpost #3837 of 42114/18/12 at 11:49pm
Yay, just got a um3x, I can now join this thread :D
Can you guys help me though, I need an amp for these to pair with my ipod classic. I got a budget of around £100
I have found the UM3X to be really bland with some songs which is why I want an amp to add some personality to the sound. Any reccomendations?post #3838 of 42114/19/12 at 5:28amI found the FiiO E11 on high gain with no bass boost and a LOD to be a great combination with the iPhone and UM3X. The E5 and E6 are okay with it but definitely not stellar. You can get the E11 and an LOD for about USD$65 right now which I believe is about 40GBP.post #3839 of 42114/19/12 at 6:18amQuote:
Cheers, didn't really consider the E11, I was looking at either the E7 or E17 but I can't seem to find a comparison between the modelspost #3840 of 42114/19/12 at 6:27amQuote:
The E7 vs E11 most likely won't be much of a difference, as the E7 won't override your iPod's DAC like it would with a computer source. I've heard the E17 is a huge improvement though; you'll still be using your iPod's onboard DAC but from what I understand the E17 really improves the sound tremendously. Not 100% on that.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC 51 seconds ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 1 minute ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 2 minutes ago
- › best on-ear under $100 2 minutes ago
- › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › akg k612 amp+dac?? k612vs dt990pro?? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › [WTB] Audeze LCD-X 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude