Just to have another flavor around I am expecting my Schiit Valhalla 2 to arrive tomorrow! From what I gather, I'll be running RCA out from the STX to the Valhalla and the STX will just act as a DAC. Advice on the best settings for the STX in this mode? I normally have it on the highest gain for the HD 800s but I believe I should keep it on the lowest gain setting with volume maxed and just use the Valhalla's volume control. I'm sure the line out signal already takes into account that you'll be using it just as a DAC since it uses a different part of the board. Any other settings I should change or have enabled to make sure the STX just acts as a DAC or does the line out signal automatically take care of that?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAsustagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2X Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Audio Cardtagged by System, 6/14/10
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 6/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement for Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:17pm in Computer Audio
- XONAR STX or DIY DAC + DIY AMP or DAC + AMP? Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:35pm in Dedicated Source Components
- So I need a good sound card (for music, mainly) Last post on 6/24/10 at 9:36pm in Computer Audio
- In search of a good DAC for my monitors Last post on 2/9/14 at 11:22am in Dedicated Source Components
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread - Page 325
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The only reason to use your STX thru optical or coax is if you want to run dolby headphone from the STX into your external for games or your usb ports are flaky like mine. Other wise use the USB and keep the STX for backup or sell it.
Well, that is what I was thinking....for gaming purpose....I could still use my stx by going optical....correct
I don't know, probably not. I just ordered the card and am split between installing the ASUS driver or the unified one. I run Windows 8.1. Current latest drivers I found:
ASUS official - Beta Version 188.8.131.522 - 2014.01.06
UNi Xonar - version 1.72 (based on 1822) - 06.01.2014
I want to use my IEM and a zalman clip on zm-1 mic. Both have 3.5mm connectors and I've been looking for adapters to make it work with the asus stx, but I'm not 100% sure which adapters for the mic and for the headphones to buy. Can anyone PM me or post the link for adapters that will make this work. Thanks. I don't want to get a mixamp pro or cheap usb amp/dac to make it work if possible. I'm just looking for the proper 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters for the IEM and for the microphone.
I'm also having issues with the mic and the current adapter I have. No sound is coming out. I probably need a different adapter (mono or stereo?) or just get a cheap usb sound card for gaming. I really would rather get an adapter to work with my sound card since sound output works. I just can't get the mic to work.
There's new uni drivers out so I installed it and now my mic works. Now I just need another 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo plug. I really don't want to spend money for just one game where I'll hardly be using the mic anyway.
The unified has modes that lower the DPS latency from 0.2ms to about 0.125ms. For some music content creators this is a huge difference. I saw many people quoting the card an Amazon as not being good for content creation. The default DPS latency is just fine for music, movies, gaming, and playback in general.
The other stuff with reducing the boot time and memory usage is probably irrelevant now, but 4 years ago may have been useful.
- The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 33 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 45 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Audioengine D1 DAC: A Feature Packed Entry DAC 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cardas Quadlink power (2) 3 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 5 minutes ago
- › Need help to choose a headphone under $500 for alternative rock,... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)