Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread - Page 293

post #4381 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

 

 

I removed the op amps and put them back, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  I flipped them around to see if I had them in wrong but no change.  For some reason the op amps want to seat deeper on one side so I left them like that, but tried it also with them evenly pressed in first.  

 

Is my powered headphone output on my stx bad?

Flipping the opamps around as in turning them 180 degrees if that is what you mean can damage the soundcard beyond repair. I take it you mean that you moved them to different sockets? From the sounds of it you have sound at the lowest headphone amp setting. If that is the case your headphone amp is fine & you would be having a software issue. If you are using the RCA connection to power your headphone which they will do but won't have much output then all the opamps are fine. If you get sound there but no sound out the rear headphone jack then your headphone amp is blown.


Edited by germanium - 5/20/13 at 10:25pm
post #4382 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post

Flipping the opamps around as in turning them 180 degrees if that is what you mean can damage the soundcard beyond repair. I take it you mean that you moved them to different sockets? From the sounds of it you have sound at the lowest headphone amp setting. If that is the case your headphone amp is fine & you would be having a software issue. If you are using the RCA connection to power your headphone which they will do but won't have much output then all the opamps are fine. If you get sound there but no sound out the rear headphone jack then your headphone amp is blown.

I actually did turn them 180 degrees...I did it first with the RCA op amp when upgrading to the 49990, and I got a whine, but when flipping it to the right alignment they worked fine.  When my headphone amp setting didn't work, I flipped those op amps and then flipped them back.  On the FP lowest setting ( or medium and high) i get no sound, but on just "headphone" setting I get sound.

post #4383 of 4911

I forgot to mention that for headphones I'm using the headphone jack and not the RCA.  I use the RCA output when using my speakers/amp.

post #4384 of 4911
The FP stands for front panel which you said is not connected so there is actually no issue here then.

Edited by germanium - 5/20/13 at 11:05pm
post #4385 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

I actually did turn them 180 degrees...I did it first with the RCA op amp when upgrading to the 49990, and I got a whine, but when flipping it to the right alignment they worked fine.  When my headphone amp setting didn't work, I flipped those op amps and then flipped them back.  On the FP lowest setting ( or medium and high) i get no sound, but on just "headphone" setting I get sound.

You were very very fortunate

post #4386 of 4911
Subscribed
post #4387 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

I actually did turn them 180 degrees...I did it first with the RCA op amp when upgrading to the 49990, and I got a whine, but when flipping it to the right alignment they worked fine.  When my headphone amp setting didn't work, I flipped those op amps and then flipped them back.  On the FP lowest setting ( or medium and high) i get no sound, but on just "headphone" setting I get sound.

Not sure where you picked up your 49990. However, the PCB should have it on there as to which way it should be oriented when putting the op-amp into your card. The little dot on op-amp that you took out, it should face in the same direction. 

post #4388 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post

On the LME49990 spec sheet as well as the normal electrolytic cap near the opamp these are bypassed by 2uf solid tantalum & .1uf ceramic caps going to ground from both + & - power supply rails. Since there is no ground connection on the SOIC to DIP adaptors one cannot incorporate the bypasses on the adaptor itself. These bypasses must be done to the STX board itself in order to have the proper ground connection


The tantalums I presumed to need direct connection to Analog Ground (already confirmed to be the case with the supply-filter electrolytics mounted on the STX' circuit board), whereas the ceramics from +Vcc to -Vss at the op amp supply pins apparently work just fine in practice.  I anticipated needing to study close-ups (viz., macrophotographs) of the areas around the DIP sockets to see what room is available for retrofitting the tantalums.

post #4389 of 4911

I don't know if I damaged the FP headphone outputs...but I'm swapping it out while I still can.  

 

Edit: meaning shipping back and getting replacement.

post #4390 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd3068 View Post

Not sure where you picked up your 49990. However, the PCB should have it on there as to which way it should be oriented when putting the op-amp into your card. The little dot on op-amp that you took out, it should face in the same direction. 

Thanks, but I don't know how I could have known that.  Now I have a pic of both stock op amps and upgraded in the correct position for future reference.

post #4391 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

I don't know if I damaged the FP headphone outputs...but I'm swapping it out while I still can.  

 

Edit: meaning shipping back and getting replacement.

You did not connect your front panel connection therefore you will not get sound out the FP headphone. You need to connect the front panel connection from your PC case then plug your headphone into you headphone connection provided by the PC case in order to hear anything from any of the FP headphone settings. There is no problem with the card since you did not do this

post #4392 of 4911

HI guys Asus Xonar Essence STX will great with Grado SR225i ? Maybe something have STX and SR225i combo. Please post impressions. 

post #4393 of 4911

Has anyone looked into flexbass?

What does it do if there is no subwoofer, just throw away the low frequencies with small headphones?

Does nothing with large headphones? Or does it mix in LFE if present?

And what does it do if you have a subwoofer and there already an LFE channel, does it add to it or do nothing? - I just checked this one, it does nothing if there already is an LFE channel.


Edited by mindbomb - 5/22/13 at 12:38pm
post #4394 of 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanium View Post

You did not connect your front panel connection therefore you will not get sound out the FP headphone. You need to connect the front panel connection from your PC case then plug your headphone into you headphone connection provided by the PC case in order to hear anything from any of the FP headphone settings. There is no problem with the card since you did not do this

Crap I just shipped it out and the replacement was already shipped out today. What a waist. Thanks for the info.
post #4395 of 4911
Here's what the manual says about the REAR headphone port:
"Connect your headphones to this port.
NOTE:
- DO NOT connect your speakers to the headphone out port.
The possible high driving power may cause damage to your speakers.
- To prevent damage to your headphone, before the connection, adjust the headphone impedance settings in the Xonar Essence STX Audio Center to match your headphone impedance."

It looks like FP settings should work. I'll try the replacement either way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread