thanks shimm, thats a big help. i'm looking at the audiogd or maybe even burson. i'm still going to need help at any rate. not in a hurry though :) any more info?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAsustagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2X Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Audio Cardtagged by System, 6/14/10
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 6/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement for Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:17pm in Computer Audio
- XONAR STX or DIY DAC + DIY AMP or DAC + AMP? Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:35pm in Dedicated Source Components
- So I need a good sound card (for music, mainly) Last post on 6/24/10 at 9:36pm in Computer Audio
- In search of a good DAC for my monitors Last post on 2/9/14 at 11:22am in Dedicated Source Components
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
Here is my short review of the HOOKA headphone hanger. Thank you to Pandora from Brainwavz for providing me with the product. This very cool headphone hanger came in a nice, small sized...
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread - Page 127
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes, only 2 pads coz stok quartz is quartz rezonator, not XO. So, just like that guy did:
if there is no special thermohair dryer the quartz resonator is necessary to unsolder with two soldering irons. Fix a card. Put a gumboil (only pure rosin in waterless spirit, without additives!) on resonator's connectors. To stings of soldering irons take a little solder (lead will mix with leadless and unsolder faster) and remove the resonator as tweezers. Hope it's not so difficalt to understand my english.
Also, look into this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433533/upgrading-the-crystal-x0-on-essence-stx/105#post_6002929 for details of Thoppa's mod (but carefully coz he did some mistakes)
Edited by shimm - 7/10/10 at 1:01am
There's so many hard-core mods people are doing with these cards now it's hard to know where to start!
I seem to recall a thread someone set-up a while back, where all the mods were being documented.
It's main function was to act as central repository of all the mods out there.
It wasn't aiming to document them in detail, but rather just introduce them, & then link to anywhere that has more detail.
I've looked but can't find it, I don't suppose anyone can provide a link to it?
I want to trawl the net & this forum for modz, and add any that aren't already mentioned in it.
Then when I finally have time to get started on my modding, I'll have one place to reference!
I believe I have found it :)
When I get closer to having time for modz, I will update/refine this thread.
Then I will make my start ;)
Much Kudos to thoppa for this bible!
Edited by jalyst - 7/9/10 at 11:01pm
this pics arent mine, fotios (?) i think.
i'll glue a paper clip to the quartz and suspend it with a rubber band while desoldering :)
just slight upwards pressure.
this is looking a little more straight forward.
correct me if i'm wrong. if i have a xo which has an isolated power supply, there will be only one connection to the cards clock pad at the output.
Edited by gwillys - 7/10/10 at 1:48pm
1. Personally, I'm not sure it's so necessary to be care about this quartz. You don't need it any more, right? Just my thoughts.
2. If your XO has isolated power supply it still need 2 connections to the card: GND and OUT. GND will be only common point between card PS and XO PS. I think so.
makes sense, sounds good. i'll order the xo & a regulator for it. i found a bonus fixed 27v tap on my external power supply maybe i can use :)
probably a week to delivery, i'll let you know how it goes - thanks.
gwillys, we (mostly me) forgot about one important thing - wires from external XO to the board. Look at these curve wires on the photo above. It's more or less acceptable for PS, but I'm afraid with such curve wires it will be impossible to keep clock edges in good condition. Clock edges are more important even than ppm. So, you have to use conductors as short and direct as possible.
Edited by shimm - 7/22/10 at 8:18am
I just wanted to thank DEX85 for helping me out with opamps for the Xonar ST.
I'm using my Xonar to output to my Heed Canamp and through my K701.
I have tried 7920NA in the buffer, and there was already an improvement in sound quality over stock.
Then I tried 7920HA in the buffer, oh boy, what a delightful surprise. I didn't think the sound will improve further after trying the NA version but I was wrong.
Bottom line, I very much recommend the 7920HA in the buffer for all the people with my setup. I am very pleased with the results, the harsh highs from stock were eliminated, sound stage is much better, overall I it's like I got a new sound card!
At the moment the opamp is mounted directly on the card with no adapter, I have already ordered an adapter and will get it soldered asap.
alright, i hope this doesn't make me sound completely idiotic, but i bought this card just last week ... love it from what i've heard so far listening through the headphone out with my lowly nuforce ne-7m's. the one thing, though, that i can't quite figure out is ... how do i lower the volume?!? i'm using the beta bitperfect asio in foobar and the only way i can figure out to lower volume is to lower it within foobar. i was hoping i could set the base level lower somehow, but nothing in the windows mixer or asus xonar panel seems to do anything.
- The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 8 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...