thanks shimm, thats a big help. i'm looking at the audiogd or maybe even burson. i'm still going to need help at any rate. not in a hurry though :) any more info?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAsustagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar D2X Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 6/14/10
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 6/14/10
- productAsus Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim Audio Cardtagged by System, 6/14/10
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 6/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Replacement for Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:17pm in Computer Audio
- XONAR STX or DIY DAC + DIY AMP or DAC + AMP? Last post on 8/18/12 at 8:35pm in Dedicated Source Components
- So I need a good sound card (for music, mainly) Last post on 6/24/10 at 9:36pm in Computer Audio
- In search of a good DAC for my monitors Last post on 2/9/14 at 11:22am in Dedicated Source Components
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread - Page 127
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes, only 2 pads coz stok quartz is quartz rezonator, not XO. So, just like that guy did:
if there is no special thermohair dryer the quartz resonator is necessary to unsolder with two soldering irons. Fix a card. Put a gumboil (only pure rosin in waterless spirit, without additives!) on resonator's connectors. To stings of soldering irons take a little solder (lead will mix with leadless and unsolder faster) and remove the resonator as tweezers. Hope it's not so difficalt to understand my english.
Also, look into this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433533/upgrading-the-crystal-x0-on-essence-stx/105#post_6002929 for details of Thoppa's mod (but carefully coz he did some mistakes)
Edited by shimm - 7/10/10 at 1:01am
There's so many hard-core mods people are doing with these cards now it's hard to know where to start!
I seem to recall a thread someone set-up a while back, where all the mods were being documented.
It's main function was to act as central repository of all the mods out there.
It wasn't aiming to document them in detail, but rather just introduce them, & then link to anywhere that has more detail.
I've looked but can't find it, I don't suppose anyone can provide a link to it?
I want to trawl the net & this forum for modz, and add any that aren't already mentioned in it.
Then when I finally have time to get started on my modding, I'll have one place to reference!
I believe I have found it :)
When I get closer to having time for modz, I will update/refine this thread.
Then I will make my start ;)
Much Kudos to thoppa for this bible!
Edited by jalyst - 7/9/10 at 11:01pm
this pics arent mine, fotios (?) i think.
i'll glue a paper clip to the quartz and suspend it with a rubber band while desoldering :)
just slight upwards pressure.
this is looking a little more straight forward.
correct me if i'm wrong. if i have a xo which has an isolated power supply, there will be only one connection to the cards clock pad at the output.
Edited by gwillys - 7/10/10 at 1:48pm
1. Personally, I'm not sure it's so necessary to be care about this quartz. You don't need it any more, right? Just my thoughts.
2. If your XO has isolated power supply it still need 2 connections to the card: GND and OUT. GND will be only common point between card PS and XO PS. I think so.
makes sense, sounds good. i'll order the xo & a regulator for it. i found a bonus fixed 27v tap on my external power supply maybe i can use :)
probably a week to delivery, i'll let you know how it goes - thanks.
gwillys, we (mostly me) forgot about one important thing - wires from external XO to the board. Look at these curve wires on the photo above. It's more or less acceptable for PS, but I'm afraid with such curve wires it will be impossible to keep clock edges in good condition. Clock edges are more important even than ppm. So, you have to use conductors as short and direct as possible.
Edited by shimm - 7/22/10 at 8:18am
I just wanted to thank DEX85 for helping me out with opamps for the Xonar ST.
I'm using my Xonar to output to my Heed Canamp and through my K701.
I have tried 7920NA in the buffer, and there was already an improvement in sound quality over stock.
Then I tried 7920HA in the buffer, oh boy, what a delightful surprise. I didn't think the sound will improve further after trying the NA version but I was wrong.
Bottom line, I very much recommend the 7920HA in the buffer for all the people with my setup. I am very pleased with the results, the harsh highs from stock were eliminated, sound stage is much better, overall I it's like I got a new sound card!
At the moment the opamp is mounted directly on the card with no adapter, I have already ordered an adapter and will get it soldered asap.
alright, i hope this doesn't make me sound completely idiotic, but i bought this card just last week ... love it from what i've heard so far listening through the headphone out with my lowly nuforce ne-7m's. the one thing, though, that i can't quite figure out is ... how do i lower the volume?!? i'm using the beta bitperfect asio in foobar and the only way i can figure out to lower volume is to lower it within foobar. i was hoping i could set the base level lower somehow, but nothing in the windows mixer or asus xonar panel seems to do anything.
- The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X1 VS Colorfly C3? 42 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Help***Leaving Sales FeedBack 1 minute ago
- › Best all-rounder ($250) 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › **Schiit Mjolnir: minty** 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Need an AMP/DAC recommendation for HD600's ~ under $200 4 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)