Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New Android Phone Samsung i7500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Android Phone Samsung i7500

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Today Samsung announced its android phone the i7500 and it looks amazing spec wise.
Samsung I7500 with OLED touchscreen powered by Android, dreams

An oled touchscreen, 5mp cam, and 3.5mm headset jack? Now we're talking. Who wants to buy this as soon as it comes out?
post #2 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaxp View Post
Today Samsung announced its android phone the i7500 and it looks amazing spec wise.
Samsung I7500 with OLED touchscreen powered by Android, dreams

An oled touchscreen, 5mp cam, and 3.5mm headset jack? Now we're talking. Who wants to buy this as soon as it comes out?
Why does Europe and Asia always get the good phones? (rhetorical question, so don't answer)

Hmm... looks nice. I'd still prefer a full QWERTY keyboard in addition to a touch screen, even if it does make the phone thicker. I'd also wish that smartphones had better cameras than what's available on must current smartphones.

I'm with AT&T though, so if I did get the phone, no 3G for me here in the US.

Right now I have an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser/TyTn II), and I'm thinking on upgrading soon. Still haven't found the perfect phone for me yet.
post #3 of 31
Have you gave a chance to full touch screen smartphones?
You should try out the TouchPal from Cootek, it's the best on screen keyboard.
post #4 of 31
I'd love a samsung smartphone on AT&T, but they don't seem to really give a damn since they have the iphone. (Which I'd get if it weren't for the required data plan) Hell, I'd take the current Omnia if they carried it.
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEXO View Post
Have you gave a chance to full touch screen smartphones?
You should try out the TouchPal from Cootek, it's the best on screen keyboard.
Not really, I did try my friend's Nokia 5800. Even though I do prefer physical QWERTY keyboards, I might be okay with a touch only phone if its good and has all the features I want. I'd also want it to be capacitive rather than resistive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
I'd love a samsung smartphone on AT&T, but they don't seem to really give a damn since they have the iphone. (Which I'd get if it weren't for the required data plan) Hell, I'd take the current Omnia if they carried it.
Yeah, I'd take the Omnia too. American carriers never pick up the good high end phones. The iPhone looks nice, but I'm the type of person who doesn't like to follow the crowd, so I usually don't buy Apple stuff because nearly everyone at my school has an iPod. The only think I like about the iPhone/iTouch is probably the Apps. But no way am I paying for an expensive data plan.
post #6 of 31
i didnt want to buy the iphone cause i dont like apple, but having it i would miss it if it went, no contract for me
post #7 of 31
Hmm.... this summer might become interesting after all.
iPhone, Palm Pre and now this one?
Very nice!
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Pixel View Post
Hmm.... this summer might become interesting after all.
iPhone, Palm Pre and now this one?
Very nice!
Yeah, I'm saving up for this summer so I can get a new phone. Still haven't decided on what to get.

I'm really hoping for a smartphone with a capacitive touch screen, a good camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, and a full QWERTY keyboard if possible. However, I don't really see AT&T picking up any phone in the near future that will meet those requirements.

I may just end up getting two phones, one with a good camera and the other a smartphone with the rest of the features listed above.

Anyone know any good phones coming to AT&T this summer?
post #9 of 31
Thread Starter 
I plan to save up and buy a new phone too. I'm on the lookout for new phones like this. I have AT&T but it's ok that it doesn't have the same kind of 3g.

Hopefully it comes out for t-mobile here so it will at least be available in the states. If this remains a europe only phone you can bet that it would be hugely expensive to buy here.

If the soft keyboard is good enough on android I think I could live without keys.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Anyone know any good phones coming to AT&T this summer?
Nothing good smartphone-wise that I know of. There's just the samsung propel pro and (rumored) new iphone. They probably don't want to release anything to compete with the iphone, since it's mandatory data plan is cash money for them.

Personally, I'd settle for something with a good 3.2"+ touchscreen, wi-fi, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The samsung omnia HD looks good, but it runs symbian (is it better or worse than winmo?) and will probably come to Verizon. And any HTCs will probably be expensive as hell, the Fuze is still $299 at best buy w/o data package. (You can get it for $149 off Amazon otherwise)
post #11 of 31
Yeah, I've had the first Blackjack for a while and although I've heavily modded it in terms of software to meet my planning needs, I am looking for a change...I personally want a Samsung phone to replace it and an OLED would be awesome, just to say that I have one, it will take a while before I can afford it
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
Nothing good smartphone-wise that I know of. There's just the samsung propel pro and (rumored) new iphone. They probably don't want to release anything to compete with the iphone, since it's mandatory data plan is cash money for them.

Personally, I'd settle for something with a good 3.2"+ touchscreen, wi-fi, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The samsung omnia HD looks good, but it runs symbian (is it better or worse than winmo?) and will probably come to Verizon. And any HTCs will probably be expensive as hell, the Fuze is still $299 at best buy w/o data package. (You can get it for $149 off Amazon otherwise)
Yep, looks like Europe gets all the good phones.

Yeah, I was looking into the Omnia HD, I just wish it had American 3G. Then again, I probably wouldn't use data anyways because its so expensive. However, now that I think about it, if I did buy a normal phone from AT&T (non-smartphone), I could buy the cheaper non-smartphone plan, and then just insert the SIM into whatever unlocked phone I get.

*sighs* Too bad Verizon is getting the Omnia HD, I wish AT&T would pick up some good smartphones, but of course, you're right. They don't want competition for their iPhone.

So how about any good unlocked phones (GSM) coming to the US? Probably one that fits the requirements of my previous post, or is comparable to the Samsung Omnia HD? Hoping it has American 3G (AT&T, not T-Mobile).

EDIT: Hmm, LG Arena seems to fit, other than its not a smartphone according to what I see. No Symbian or WinMo. I can only find phones that meet all requirements except one. Also, I think I'm scrapping the idea of a full QWERTY to help open up my choices. There aren't that many touchscreen + full QWERTY phones other than HTC.
post #13 of 31
Thread Starter 
Isn't the omnia HD windows mobile?
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaxp View Post
Isn't the omnia HD windows mobile?
No, and it doesn't support American 3G, both T-Mobile (1700/2100) and AT&T (850/1900). The phone supports 900/1900/2100.

The original Omnia i900 used Windows Mobile.

No WinMo Samsung Omnia HD, but there will be Android Omnia handsets ยป Unwired View
post #15 of 31
I'd get the LG Incite over the Arena, even though it's worse in certain aspects. (Lower res screen, questionable build quality, cruddy barebones camera) It's winmo, has decent power, and the resistive touchscreen is supposedly much more responsive with the most recent firmware. Also, it's only $49 from best buy on contract. Here's a link to an Incite forum:
http://www.lg-incite.com/index.php
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New Android Phone Samsung i7500