New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

coffee-fi - Page 3

post #31 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Ears View Post
You raise an interesting point...I'm guessing most of it is exported because the industry can make a lot more profit that way...the locals are probably priced out of their own product.

I have a friend who goes to Mexico a lot, and found a small roaster in some village inland from Veracruz...I guess the guy will prepare a sample (espresso shot) of any coffee that you might considering buying, and having tried some back here in the States, I'll say that it's damn good!

Anyway, point being that there are probably trade-related reasons why it's hard to find in the producing countries, but if you know where to look, it's probably there somewhere.

yeah it might be there. But in many of the coffee growing countries, coffee drinking is not part of the culture. It's one of the very unfortunate results of a global economy, that countries wind up producing tons and tons of prodcuts that they don't use or care about. In Jamaica a similar thing happened with Calaloo (like spinach). Local farmers had been growing it for a long time, as it's a favorite food in Jamaica and really really healthy. But the government saw more money to be made by producing sugar cane, so they burned farms where calaloo was grown, and forced sugar cane growth for exportation. Not so good for the villagers except the kids get to chew on it I guess....
post #32 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkclo View Post
Interesting that no one mentions Nespresso - the coffee expert from Switzerland....I have very good coffee without having to spend the time on it...
x2. Not the top of the coffee chain, but damn good for no work. Better than the other capsule machines by far. I have the old manual model so that I can vary the extraction time and water mix in my Americano ... still under 30 seconds start to finish with zero prep or cleanup. Hard to beat. $.50 a cup. All capsule sleeves clearly dated, freshness is never a problem, many choices available.

Yes I can beat it with freshly roasted beans from a local roaster (25 minutes each way), my burr grinder, brown paper filter, 190 degree water (I have a laser thermometer), just the right technique (first wet, then wait, then pour, then agitate in the cone, then cover the cone) -- yea, a press would be easier but then you have to clean it -- and I'll do that on Sunday ... but 6 days a week I'm a Nespresso man.
post #33 of 279
Speaking of coffee-fi, I'm sure some of you have read about Starbucks rolling out their new Via brand instant coffee (they just rolled it out on 29 September 2009).

I'm NOT sure if this is a good idea. It costs US$9.95 for 12 servings, which is a totally ridiculous price considering I can get 64 servings of Nescafé Taster's Choice coffee for US$7.14 (current Wal-Mart price for the 8 ounce package). I actually like Taster's Choice--the only instant coffee that doesn't have the subpar taste you normally get from instant coffee.
post #34 of 279
I'd be roasting Santa Maria's, but I'm away from home for now. I'm a fruit bomb whore, Harrar please, I'm happy with the Counter Culture I have access to right now. I wanna like french press but can't, paper drip is good, I have a saeco semi-automatic I'm modding (naked portafilter for now, not much else), I really would like a MMini or an M4, can't though so I'm sticking to a Gaggia MDF.

I barista'd for a bit, so I have microfoam down pat. I think the best rosette I've made had 40 some slivers of petals.
post #35 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan101 View Post
Speaking of coffee-fi, I'm sure some of you have read about Starbucks rolling out their new Via brand instant coffee (they just rolled it out on 29 September 2009).

I'm NOT sure if this is a good idea. It costs US$9.95 for 12 servings, which is a totally ridiculous price considering I can get 64 servings of Nescafé Taster's Choice coffee for US$7.14 (current Wal-Mart price for the 8 ounce package). I actually like Taster's Choice--the only instant coffee that doesn't have the subpar taste you normally get from instant coffee.
My Communications Professor was just talking about it yesterday. He said it's his new form of crack.

Apparently you just drop the stuff into either water or milk, stir, and ta-da. And according to him, it tastes just like, if not better than, the stuff they normally churn out for you behind the counter.

I wonder if somebody has actually tried to snort it yet...
post #36 of 279
Thread Starter 
It's so true about the coffee-producing countries not having any decent ones for home consumption. I lived in Mexico for a couple years and it's very hard to get anything unless you actually purchase from the growers directly. All they got at the store are cheap instant, or the 'big company' ones. Luckily I had a few family connections and enjoyed some very nice Veracruz, Oaxaca, and Chiapas coffees...

and yeah, the people there don't seem to give a crap about quality. my family over there is reasonably 'educated' (they're teachers, lawyers, doctors, government officials, etc) and when they'd see me going through the whole 'ritual' of preparing the stuff they thought I was a nut, and when I tried to open their eyes as to what real coffee tastes like they thought it was gross.
On the other hand, it also goes pretty much the same for wine. There's very good selection, but the general population doesn't care for it. only for christmas or getting-real-drunk-special-occasion parties. for 'normal' drinking tequila/rum/vodka/whisky rules.
post #37 of 279
Someone strip me of my geek badge please, I've lost my will to live. I tested my chops at Starbucks today with their VIA coffee challenge, where guests try to pick out which of two brewed coffees is instant. I failed.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I DOES KNOWS MY COFFEEEES, I've tasted hundreds of varieties, the rosettes I can pour are spoon-fed hax, this is like mixing up a pair of Skullcandy Lowriders with Staxes in a blind hearing test...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*dies*
post #38 of 279
I wouldn't be too worried peli_kan. If you can produce an instant that tastes the same as your drip coffee, IMO that tells you more about your drip quality than anything else.

I roast my own using a popcorn popper and beans I get from a local roaster. My favourite of his offerings is the Kawai estate. Very similar to Kona without the heftier price. My top choice when I can't roast my own is Kenyan. And I use a vaccuum brewer. Very cool way to do coffee. Friends love to watch it brewing. Looks a little odd with 5 guys in a kitchen watching a coffee maker!
post #39 of 279
I'm loving the Hario pour over I've been using this week. I think the cloth filter does a great job in letting enough oils through but no silt like a press. Takes a bit of time but right now I like spending the time to slow down a bit.
post #40 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post
I'm loving the Hario pour over I've been using this week. I think the cloth filter does a great job in letting enough oils through but no silt like a press. Takes a bit of time but right now I like spending the time to slow down a bit.
YES, that's a wonderful way to make coffee. I've always wanted to say that I love presses, but I can never get around the silt they leave and just go back to drip or espresso instead.
post #41 of 279
Never tried the Hario, but would like to. My vaccuum brewer does let some silt through, but not much, nothing like a press. The filter is a very fine nylon mesh. If I'm making coffee for myself and friends, I just make sure I don't get the last cup
post #42 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by peli_kan View Post
Someone strip me of my geek badge please, I've lost my will to live. I tested my chops at Starbucks today with their VIA coffee challenge, where guests try to pick out which of two brewed coffees is instant. I failed.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I DOES KNOWS MY COFFEEEES, I've tasted hundreds of varieties, the rosettes I can pour are spoon-fed hax, this is like mixing up a pair of Skullcandy Lowriders with Staxes in a blind hearing test...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*dies*
I wish I could have done the challenge. I've tried it by itself and to me it still taste like instant coffee. It's better than others I've tried but there is something in the aroma and taste that reminds me of instant. I made it in my dedicated instant coffee mug at work so it's possible my opinion was influenced by that.
post #43 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
I wish I could have done the challenge. I've tried it by itself and to me it still taste like instant coffee. It's better than others I've tried but there is something in the aroma and taste that reminds me of instant.

x2. Though I would like to A-B the Via as well. I have tried it, but to me it still has that thin appearance & taste of an instant. It also doesn't hang around the taste buds long enough to give you that second or third hit of flavours. And that's the very thing that makes coffee so great.
post #44 of 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by peli_kan View Post
Someone strip me of my geek badge please, I've lost my will to live. I tested my chops at Starbucks today with their VIA coffee challenge, where guests try to pick out which of two brewed coffees is instant. I failed.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Starbucks brewed coffee isn't all that great. Maybe they both taste equally bad?
post #45 of 279
Anyone use Lavazza? Amazon had it on sale a while ago and I got th Crema E Gusto. It's really good but almost too smooth.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home