Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 7:52 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger (1200 x 800) images - simply click the photo INTRODUCTION I don’t think there would be many people of my vintage who are into computer audio, and haven’t heard of Creative Labs. My...
q-Jays - Purity and Elegance ^ 2 https://www.jays.se/products/q-jays/ I received q-Jays as a loan in the tour on the Danish head-fi community forum www.hoved-fi.dk Courtesy of Claus....
[Originally reviewed at Basshead.Club] How do they do it? Brainwavz continues to impress with its budget-friendly new Jive IEM for Android and iOS devices. Brainwavz Jive In the...
This is my review for the new S3 from Brainwavz. Nicknamed the silver bullet for it's silver color and long slender shape. Thanks to Brainwavz for the S3 review sample. I have previously had the...
Hi all, I just want to say that it's my first review done on a product but I'm very proud to do it on a FIIO product. Review of the new FIIO EX1 In-ear Monitors. I will use the EX1 with the FIIO X1...
Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 64
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #947 of 160210/27/13 at 7:09pmpost #948 of 160210/27/13 at 7:30pm
Depends. If you're using vintage to refer to headphones no longer in production, then the Sony MDR-R10 takes that spot.
If you're using it to mean ACTUAL vintage, ie 30 years old+, the best ones I've heard so far are the Fostex-made orthodynamics from the mid 80's (T10, T30, T50v1, NAD RP18, Aiwa HP-500, and Sansui SS-100 to name a few). All except the first two measure hauntingly similar to the LCD-2/3-- which is state-of-the-art.
Some others are the Yamaha orthodynamics YH/HP-1, YH-2, YH-3, YH-100, YH-1000, YHD-1/2/3, HP-50, etc. Audio Technica's Signet TK33 system is really nice sounding too, as is AKG's K240 Sextett and K240DF.
Some honorable mentions are the Pioneer SE-500 and SE-700, which were the first piezoelectric headphones ever made. The SE-700 sounds decent stock but the 500 surpasses it when modded imo. The Stanton Dynaphase Sixty has an insane soundstage and an infinite capacity for bass and volume. Any KOSS PRO model (Pro/4AA, Pro/4AAA, etc) is quite good too, with good detail and powerful bass.
There are lots of vintage cans out there, making it impossible to decide upon one that's flat out "better" than the rest, but hopefully this information is helpful.post #949 of 160210/27/13 at 8:14pm
Thank You ^^ sometimes confused as to what constitutes "vintage" >25 or or >30? or out of production?
Either way the signature on my AKG DF sextett is so weirdly different I am curious as to what I'm missing.post #950 of 160210/27/13 at 10:27pmpost #951 of 160210/28/13 at 1:33amQuote:
Not Orpheus? (although I'm inclined to agree with R10)post #952 of 160210/28/13 at 3:27ampost #953 of 160210/28/13 at 4:19am
Most of us have never even seen one let alone heard one.
I think it's the added romance of it's rarity, over-hyped value and the story behind it that makes it so desirable.
Also that it doesn't need a huge art-deco amplifier (orpheus) to run.
I didn't realise we were talking about SQ
TBH - most of the reviews/literature about the R10 is contrary to your statement. I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate?
Edited by GREQ - 10/28/13 at 4:25ampost #954 of 160210/28/13 at 5:38ampost #955 of 160210/28/13 at 5:58amQuote:
This is as much a subjective debate as it is physiological, because nobody has exactly the same size ear, identical ear anatomy, same depth of ear-canals etc that all affect the way we hear.
There will never be an answer to this.post #956 of 160210/28/13 at 10:35amQuote:
The word "vintage" comes from wines, which are of two types - everyday table wines, which are drunk within the year of release, and just have the name of the winery on the bottle, and "vintage" wines, which have the year when the grapes were harvested. So, table wines are only seen when they are new, while "vintage" wines may be kept in a cellar and then brought out to drink later, which often improves the taste.
So, the word "vintage" means "something which is older, is characteristic of when it was made, has been stored carefully to preserve it, and is better quality than current disposable items".
People who only know words from seeing them in context, get the idea that "vintage" is interchangeable with "retro", and in fact, the "Madmen" TV show seems to have spawned a fad for any sort of clothes or furnishing from older eras.
But, technically, Denon D2000 headphones are "vintage", even though only from 5 years ago, because they are no longer sold as new.post #957 of 160210/28/13 at 3:13pmQuote:
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.post #958 of 160210/28/13 at 9:54pm
And what do you think is better, good fellow? The R10 is widely believed to be the king... and based on the other vintage TOTL Sony I've heard I'm certainly not going to doubt it without hearing it first.Quote:Originally Posted by vid
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.
Very true.post #959 of 160210/28/13 at 10:57pmQuote:
Depends on which perspective you're coming from, closer to reference sound or coloured as schit. I've heard the Uncle Wilson's R10's not sure if bass light or bass heavy at Jaben's after a nice suggestion from our very own etherlite, believe me since I'm a "get as close as neutral type of person", I'd gladly pick an HD800 off an ample rig than the R10's, given that it uses the same biocellulose drivers as my old CD3k, the drivers don't last long, the only thing ever praised about the R10 is the engineering history behind it and it's looks. Sort of the same with the CD1/3k's both of which I've owned as well.
This thread is a disgrace without any mention of the vintage electrostat's made by Sony, Stax, (the old Koss ESP6/7/9/10 are no good, except the 950). Get an SR-3/5 which will sound better than a large 95% of vintage headphones made at the same time or released later on, heck for $200 with an adaptor running off a good integrated amp, it sounds better than a large amount of crap on the market today.
Ask vid how well his modded Unipolar electrets sound compared to some of the newer stuff his tried.
And who said the R10 is widely believe to be the king? That crown goes to the original Omega and the Orpheus.
All subjective of course before people start throwing angry sticks and stones at my direction.
Edited by DefQon - 10/28/13 at 10:58pmpost #960 of 160210/28/13 at 11:27pm
I've never heard the R10s to be declared as king either...
If anything, only for the dynamic driver category.
I've actually gotten the chance to try an unmodded unipolar and... it certainly has a vintage tone to it (namely warm) with flaws but I love the way they sound. I can imagine that stacking up with proper mods.
I really want to try a ECR though. Too bad the only one I can currently find floating on the net is massively overpriced :S
- Show us your vintage headphones!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 14 seconds ago
- › FiiO’s 2015 Slogan Translation Contest 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 5 minutes ago
- › Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 6 minutes ago
- › If you could make a perfect headphone...how would it be? 7 minutes ago
- › Brooko's Reviews - Past & Future 7 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C10 - Colorfly Is Back! 8 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 9 minutes ago
- › Problems with Unique Melody 9 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by Brooko
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by rasmushorn
- › Brainwavz Jive by Luckbad
- › Brainwavz S3 by jant71
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by pixelsphotopro
- › RHA T20 by earfonia
- › Woo Audio WA22 by tassardar
- › CustomArt Ei.XX 6-driver CIEM - MassDrop edition by twister6
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by LaRevolu
- › Nuforce NE800M by Dsnuts
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2