Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 1/7/13 at 1:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
I bought these to replace my Sennheiser HD25-I as they were quite uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time. Whilst these are incredibly comfortable, the sound isn't something I'm used...
Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 64
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #947 of 107110/27/13 at 7:09pmpost #948 of 107110/27/13 at 7:30pm
Depends. If you're using vintage to refer to headphones no longer in production, then the Sony MDR-R10 takes that spot.
If you're using it to mean ACTUAL vintage, ie 30 years old+, the best ones I've heard so far are the Fostex-made orthodynamics from the mid 80's (T10, T30, T50v1, NAD RP18, Aiwa HP-500, and Sansui SS-100 to name a few). All except the first two measure hauntingly similar to the LCD-2/3-- which is state-of-the-art.
Some others are the Yamaha orthodynamics YH/HP-1, YH-2, YH-3, YH-100, YH-1000, YHD-1/2/3, HP-50, etc. Audio Technica's Signet TK33 system is really nice sounding too, as is AKG's K240 Sextett and K240DF.
Some honorable mentions are the Pioneer SE-500 and SE-700, which were the first piezoelectric headphones ever made. The SE-700 sounds decent stock but the 500 surpasses it when modded imo. The Stanton Dynaphase Sixty has an insane soundstage and an infinite capacity for bass and volume. Any KOSS PRO model (Pro/4AA, Pro/4AAA, etc) is quite good too, with good detail and powerful bass.
There are lots of vintage cans out there, making it impossible to decide upon one that's flat out "better" than the rest, but hopefully this information is helpful.post #949 of 107110/27/13 at 8:14pm
Thank You ^^ sometimes confused as to what constitutes "vintage" >25 or or >30? or out of production?
Either way the signature on my AKG DF sextett is so weirdly different I am curious as to what I'm missing.post #950 of 107110/27/13 at 10:27pmpost #951 of 107110/28/13 at 1:33amQuote:
Not Orpheus? (although I'm inclined to agree with R10)post #952 of 107110/28/13 at 3:27ampost #953 of 107110/28/13 at 4:19am
Most of us have never even seen one let alone heard one.
I think it's the added romance of it's rarity, over-hyped value and the story behind it that makes it so desirable.
Also that it doesn't need a huge art-deco amplifier (orpheus) to run.
I didn't realise we were talking about SQ
TBH - most of the reviews/literature about the R10 is contrary to your statement. I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate?
Edited by GREQ - 10/28/13 at 4:25ampost #954 of 107110/28/13 at 5:38ampost #955 of 107110/28/13 at 5:58amQuote:
This is as much a subjective debate as it is physiological, because nobody has exactly the same size ear, identical ear anatomy, same depth of ear-canals etc that all affect the way we hear.
There will never be an answer to this.post #956 of 107110/28/13 at 10:35amQuote:
The word "vintage" comes from wines, which are of two types - everyday table wines, which are drunk within the year of release, and just have the name of the winery on the bottle, and "vintage" wines, which have the year when the grapes were harvested. So, table wines are only seen when they are new, while "vintage" wines may be kept in a cellar and then brought out to drink later, which often improves the taste.
So, the word "vintage" means "something which is older, is characteristic of when it was made, has been stored carefully to preserve it, and is better quality than current disposable items".
People who only know words from seeing them in context, get the idea that "vintage" is interchangeable with "retro", and in fact, the "Madmen" TV show seems to have spawned a fad for any sort of clothes or furnishing from older eras.
But, technically, Denon D2000 headphones are "vintage", even though only from 5 years ago, because they are no longer sold as new.post #957 of 107110/28/13 at 3:13pmQuote:
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.post #958 of 107110/28/13 at 9:54pm
And what do you think is better, good fellow? The R10 is widely believed to be the king... and based on the other vintage TOTL Sony I've heard I'm certainly not going to doubt it without hearing it first.Quote:Originally Posted by vid
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.
Very true.post #959 of 107110/28/13 at 10:57pmQuote:
Depends on which perspective you're coming from, closer to reference sound or coloured as schit. I've heard the Uncle Wilson's R10's not sure if bass light or bass heavy at Jaben's after a nice suggestion from our very own etherlite, believe me since I'm a "get as close as neutral type of person", I'd gladly pick an HD800 off an ample rig than the R10's, given that it uses the same biocellulose drivers as my old CD3k, the drivers don't last long, the only thing ever praised about the R10 is the engineering history behind it and it's looks. Sort of the same with the CD1/3k's both of which I've owned as well.
This thread is a disgrace without any mention of the vintage electrostat's made by Sony, Stax, (the old Koss ESP6/7/9/10 are no good, except the 950). Get an SR-3/5 which will sound better than a large 95% of vintage headphones made at the same time or released later on, heck for $200 with an adaptor running off a good integrated amp, it sounds better than a large amount of crap on the market today.
Ask vid how well his modded Unipolar electrets sound compared to some of the newer stuff his tried.
And who said the R10 is widely believe to be the king? That crown goes to the original Omega and the Orpheus.
All subjective of course before people start throwing angry sticks and stones at my direction.
Edited by DefQon - 10/28/13 at 10:58pmpost #960 of 107110/28/13 at 11:27pm
I've never heard the R10s to be declared as king either...
If anything, only for the dynamic driver category.
I've actually gotten the chance to try an unmodded unipolar and... it certainly has a vintage tone to it (namely warm) with flaws but I love the way they sound. I can imagine that stacking up with proper mods.
I really want to try a ECR though. Too bad the only one I can currently find floating on the net is massively overpriced :S
- Show us your vintage headphones!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Need to replace my trusty AD700 for PC (thinking K612 Pro) 36 seconds ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 43 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 50 seconds ago
- › Grado SR325 Headphones 55 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--first arrivals on page 19, first... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds for someone who doesn't know a thing about them 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions? 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude