Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 64
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #947 of 134310/27/13 at 7:09pmpost #948 of 134310/27/13 at 7:30pm
Depends. If you're using vintage to refer to headphones no longer in production, then the Sony MDR-R10 takes that spot.
If you're using it to mean ACTUAL vintage, ie 30 years old+, the best ones I've heard so far are the Fostex-made orthodynamics from the mid 80's (T10, T30, T50v1, NAD RP18, Aiwa HP-500, and Sansui SS-100 to name a few). All except the first two measure hauntingly similar to the LCD-2/3-- which is state-of-the-art.
Some others are the Yamaha orthodynamics YH/HP-1, YH-2, YH-3, YH-100, YH-1000, YHD-1/2/3, HP-50, etc. Audio Technica's Signet TK33 system is really nice sounding too, as is AKG's K240 Sextett and K240DF.
Some honorable mentions are the Pioneer SE-500 and SE-700, which were the first piezoelectric headphones ever made. The SE-700 sounds decent stock but the 500 surpasses it when modded imo. The Stanton Dynaphase Sixty has an insane soundstage and an infinite capacity for bass and volume. Any KOSS PRO model (Pro/4AA, Pro/4AAA, etc) is quite good too, with good detail and powerful bass.
There are lots of vintage cans out there, making it impossible to decide upon one that's flat out "better" than the rest, but hopefully this information is helpful.post #949 of 134310/27/13 at 8:14pm
Thank You ^^ sometimes confused as to what constitutes "vintage" >25 or or >30? or out of production?
Either way the signature on my AKG DF sextett is so weirdly different I am curious as to what I'm missing.post #950 of 134310/27/13 at 10:27pmpost #951 of 134310/28/13 at 1:33amQuote:
Not Orpheus? (although I'm inclined to agree with R10)post #952 of 134310/28/13 at 3:27ampost #953 of 134310/28/13 at 4:19am
Most of us have never even seen one let alone heard one.
I think it's the added romance of it's rarity, over-hyped value and the story behind it that makes it so desirable.
Also that it doesn't need a huge art-deco amplifier (orpheus) to run.
I didn't realise we were talking about SQ
TBH - most of the reviews/literature about the R10 is contrary to your statement. I'm intrigued. Care to elaborate?
Edited by GREQ - 10/28/13 at 4:25ampost #954 of 134310/28/13 at 5:38ampost #955 of 134310/28/13 at 5:58amQuote:
This is as much a subjective debate as it is physiological, because nobody has exactly the same size ear, identical ear anatomy, same depth of ear-canals etc that all affect the way we hear.
There will never be an answer to this.post #956 of 134310/28/13 at 10:35amQuote:
The word "vintage" comes from wines, which are of two types - everyday table wines, which are drunk within the year of release, and just have the name of the winery on the bottle, and "vintage" wines, which have the year when the grapes were harvested. So, table wines are only seen when they are new, while "vintage" wines may be kept in a cellar and then brought out to drink later, which often improves the taste.
So, the word "vintage" means "something which is older, is characteristic of when it was made, has been stored carefully to preserve it, and is better quality than current disposable items".
People who only know words from seeing them in context, get the idea that "vintage" is interchangeable with "retro", and in fact, the "Madmen" TV show seems to have spawned a fad for any sort of clothes or furnishing from older eras.
But, technically, Denon D2000 headphones are "vintage", even though only from 5 years ago, because they are no longer sold as new.post #957 of 134310/28/13 at 3:13pmQuote:
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.post #958 of 134310/28/13 at 9:54pm
And what do you think is better, good fellow? The R10 is widely believed to be the king... and based on the other vintage TOTL Sony I've heard I'm certainly not going to doubt it without hearing it first.Quote:Originally Posted by vid
As you say at the end, there's no debate if you go by the subjective, just a poll.
Very true.post #959 of 134310/28/13 at 10:57pmQuote:
Depends on which perspective you're coming from, closer to reference sound or coloured as schit. I've heard the Uncle Wilson's R10's not sure if bass light or bass heavy at Jaben's after a nice suggestion from our very own etherlite, believe me since I'm a "get as close as neutral type of person", I'd gladly pick an HD800 off an ample rig than the R10's, given that it uses the same biocellulose drivers as my old CD3k, the drivers don't last long, the only thing ever praised about the R10 is the engineering history behind it and it's looks. Sort of the same with the CD1/3k's both of which I've owned as well.
This thread is a disgrace without any mention of the vintage electrostat's made by Sony, Stax, (the old Koss ESP6/7/9/10 are no good, except the 950). Get an SR-3/5 which will sound better than a large 95% of vintage headphones made at the same time or released later on, heck for $200 with an adaptor running off a good integrated amp, it sounds better than a large amount of crap on the market today.
Ask vid how well his modded Unipolar electrets sound compared to some of the newer stuff his tried.
And who said the R10 is widely believe to be the king? That crown goes to the original Omega and the Orpheus.
All subjective of course before people start throwing angry sticks and stones at my direction.
Edited by DefQon - 10/28/13 at 10:58pmpost #960 of 134310/28/13 at 11:27pm
I've never heard the R10s to be declared as king either...
If anything, only for the dynamic driver category.
I've actually gotten the chance to try an unmodded unipolar and... it certainly has a vintage tone to it (namely warm) with flaws but I love the way they sound. I can imagine that stacking up with proper mods.
I really want to try a ECR though. Too bad the only one I can currently find floating on the net is massively overpriced :S
- Show us your vintage headphones!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 seconds ago
- › Sony XBA-100 thread 12 seconds ago
- › Headphone-palooza shoot-out! 8 cans reviewed here! 28 seconds ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › diabolic - fightin words 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › HD 598 Replacement 2 minutes ago
- › IEM for around 100 dollars 3 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)