Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 40

post #586 of 1263

So remember how the Reference One I posted earlier bested all of my other headphones?

 

The Pro/4AAA is a better version of the R1. It has more treble, more detail, and the mids are clearer. It feels like a veil has been lifted off of the sound. The soundstage is still huge and the imaging is great, but they're much more compact and stylish than the R1s. Surprisingly though, the 4AAA appears to weigh slightly more, coming in at 520 grams compared to 506 grams for the R1s. Sadly they don't isolate quite as well as the R1s, but I doubt any headphone ever will. Another thing to note is that the cable is longer, heavier, thinner, and more flexible than the R1's, which is actually bad because this leads to a cable that's too long and is tangle-prone. Because of this, I'm considering swapping them out. Might not though, because the 4AAA's termination is nicer.

 

Either way its a great headphone and I'm glad I bought it. Sadly I forgot my camera at home so I can't take a picture with proper lighting yet.

post #587 of 1263

Hiya - do these actually sound any good - theres a nice quality pair on ebay here in the UK for £35 ($55), very tempted as my 1st vintage pair.... could look interesting on my stormtrooper helmet blink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBreed View Post

TOSHIBA HR-50 .... beauty ..
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #588 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboylee View Post

Hiya - do these actually sound any good - theres a nice quality pair on ebay here in the UK for £35 ($55), very tempted as my 1st vintage pair.... could look interesting on my stormtrooper helmet blink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBreed View Post

TOSHIBA HR-50 .... beauty ..
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Don't now about the sound but the baffle looks a lot like a really good headphone. It might be an OEM version of it. I'd say grab it.

post #589 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Don't now about the sound but the baffle looks a lot like a really good headphone. It might be an OEM version of it. I'd say grab it.

 

LOL - Grabbed it.... I'll let you know in a few days..... its all your fault! gs1000.gif

post #590 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboylee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Don't now about the sound but the baffle looks a lot like a really good headphone. It might be an OEM version of it. I'd say grab it.

 

LOL - Grabbed it.... I'll let you know in a few days..... its all your fault! gs1000.gif

Well, the baffle looks a lot like one of the best vintage cans, which has about 5 different OEM versions. Its baffle is unique, it's pretty much a universal identifier.

 

Mweeeheehee. 


Edited by takato14 - 11/22/12 at 3:26pm
post #591 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Well, the baffle looks a lot like one of the best vintage cans, which has about 5 different OEM versions. Its baffle is unique, it's pretty much a universal identifier.

Mweeeheehee. 
Which one would you be referring to? :O
post #592 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Well, the baffle looks a lot like one of the best vintage cans, which has about 5 different OEM versions. Its baffle is unique, it's pretty much a universal identifier.

Mweeeheehee. 
Which one would you be referring to? :O

I was hoping no one would ask that, as the name is escaping me >_____<

post #593 of 1263
Haha xD
Well here I am thinking of another highly regarded vintage can-- Fostex T50, which also has quite a few OEM variations. Including, supposedly, those Sansui SS-100 you are looking for.
But they're open back so could not be the same as what you are referring to.

That Toshiba is quite beautiful though! Hope it sounds that way too wink.gif
post #594 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post

Haha xD
Well here I am thinking of another highly regarded vintage can-- Fostex T50, which also has quite a few OEM variations. Including, supposedly, those Sansui SS-100 you are looking for.
But they're open back so could not be the same as what you are referring to.

That Toshiba is quite beautiful though! Hope it sounds that way too wink.gif

The SS-100 driver IS OEM'd from Fostex but it's not quite the same as the T50. The SS-100 is a very special headphone...

post #595 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

The SS-100 driver IS OEM'd from Fostex but it's not quite the same as the T50. The SS-100 is a very special headphone...
Yes... would love to try it >_< though I can probably never own one--the prices for those can get pretty crazy.
post #596 of 1263
CashNotCredit wrote:

A quick shot of the K240 Monitors I got as an eBay special.

And a quick shot of the Creative WoW pads on the K240 Monitors. Removing the foam insert and using these pads really brings out the treble and mids. 


Thanks for the idea, I have both the Soundblaster pads ( excellent ! ) and these 240M also, will give it a shot if I ever get around to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

This arrived today... The Watson Mod. 920



They don't have an ortho SFI driver like the bigger brother Mod 930, but the dynamics inside sounds impressive. This one is actually very difficult to open up, so I don't know how long it will be until I can get photos of the driver. I would love to at some point, so someone can help identify them, as my ears tell me they are too good to be cheap consumer rubbish; probably another mass produced driver by a reputable company sold to 3rd party manufacturers.
GREQ I have a feeling these are OEM'ed by LOD/Hitachi , have a look at their HD-70/80/90 model. Not exact but close. That or one of the older Pioneer models. It's the split headband though that's making me think it's LOD
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/LOD/LoDindex.html&usg=ALkJrhjA1YIQwRMLficsJl-ujD1Et3fFOQ
Edited by nick n - 11/25/12 at 12:08am
post #597 of 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

GREQ I have a feeling these are OEM'ed by LOD/Hitachi , have a look at their HD-70/80/90 model. Not exact but close. That or one of the older Pioneer models. It's the split headband though that's making me think it's LOD
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/LOD/LoDindex.html&usg=ALkJrhjA1YIQwRMLficsJl-ujD1Et3fFOQ

I think you're spot on. I've recently seen another iteration of this model under the brand 'Palladium'. Not the worst vintage sound, but not the best either.

post #598 of 1263
Quote:

Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

 

I think you're spot on. I've recently seen another iteration of this model under the brand 'Palladium'. Not the worst vintage sound, but not the best either.

I've seen 5 different OEMs of the exact same headphone once. It's crazy how many rebrands things could go through back then.

post #599 of 1263

popcorn.gifsubbed for hawt pixpopcorn.gif

post #600 of 1263

 

 

...Sony DR-Z6 -- 1978

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!