Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 35

post #511 of 1230

There was an article somewhere on AKG's site that talked about those phones. I'm pretty sure it said either the K 270 or 280, but not sure.

post #512 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

My Koss Reference One headphones have just shipped. Very eager to receive them. They look like a fancier Pro 4AAA. Hopefully the sound will as good, if not better than the Pro 4AAA. 

It's not this by any chance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reference-One-Stereo-Headphones-by-Koss-/150903372800?nma=true&si=LM1%2Bqrw7NeGjWBxoqljeg28nkkk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

That's usually the kind of design I avoid be default (closed back plastic tat).... but the Koss name always peaks my curiosity. 

 

(I will happily delete this post if pasting links like this is frowned upon - I know it's the unwritten rule not to pose unfinished auctions)

It's already finished. Lol. The headphones have been shipped to me.

 

But, I got a picture of the driver and pads, and the assembly is literally identical to the Pro 4AAA, which is a phenomenal headphone in its own right. It's also stupidly rare; I can't find any information about it. Which is why I bought it.


Edited by takato14 - 10/18/12 at 9:06am
post #513 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

AKG K240 SDF. (Space Diffusion Fields).

 

Holy crap, what IS that? Do you actually have that?

post #514 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Holy crap, what IS that? Do you actually have that?


The USSR have them on the MIR space station, maybe they're still in orbit. happy_face1.gif

post #515 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

Holy crap, what IS that? Do you actually have that?


The USSR have them on the MIR space station, maybe they're still in orbit. happy_face1.gif

Wow, that's just weird. I can only imagine what one of those would fetch on an auction.

 

The headband looks pretty ghetto, but the earcups look quite attractive... I'd buy one just to do a little surgery on them.


Edited by takato14 - 10/18/12 at 9:12am
post #516 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post


The USSR have them on the MIR space station, maybe they're still in orbit. happy_face1.gif

Wow... so I was spot on with my Russian space station deduction. I'll be feeling smug for the rest of the day... biggrin.gif

post #517 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post


The USSR have them on the MIR space station, maybe they're still in orbit. happy_face1.gif

Wow... so I was spot on with my Russian space station deduction. I'll be feeling smug for the rest of the day... biggrin.gif

lol

post #518 of 1230

Remember the rectangular Watson Mod.930 orthodynamic with SFI drivers I showed a while back?  I just bought it's sibling, the Mod 920. There's a good chance it doesn't have an SFI driver, but if it does, I'll be super happy - I'll post it up once it arrives either way.

post #519 of 1230

Once again, shipping from eBay was FAR faster than expected. Got the Reference One's today. 

 

 

They're HUGE.

 

 

 

 

 

First impressions... well the first thing I said when I put them on was "hooooly crap soundstage". Other than that, they don't seem to do anything wrong... but at the same time they don't jump out at me with a specific trait that they do best. I really don't know about these. I can't come to a conclusion. It's weird. I've never had a headphone... stump me before. 

 

The only things I can say are physical and absolute things. They are cirrcumaural and are fairly heavy. They are built like tanks and the cable is actually quite nice, which is very rare for a vintage headphone. The comfort on these could be better, but its not bad. They squeeze HARD. They isolate RIDICULOUSLY well, and there is absolutely no sound leakage, at all. These things don't make a peep even at extreme volumes. This particular pair happens to be in very nice condition.

 

 

The only thing I've noticed is that there should be foam inside there. Maybe that's why they don't feel very good on my ears. *shrugs*

 

I don't know. All I can say is that I've never wanted to keep listening to a headphone more than these...

post #520 of 1230

Quote:

 

 

The only thing I've noticed is that there should be foam inside there. Maybe that's why they don't feel very good on my ears. *shrugs*

 

Around the driver grill, is that the remains of foam rot?

 

Listening to your sound positive impressions from a vintage closed can is interesting. 

I had a similar experience with a vintage closed can, not regarding soundstage, but I was absolutely stumped by the sound, and for weeks I would just be like "Ok...one more listen"... but they've been in storage for a while. I'll put up some photos soon. Interestingly, those cans also have foam around the grill, but it's in perfect condition. I dare not touch the foam, because I suspect it's already rotted and waiting to fall off.

post #521 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Around the driver grill, is that the remains of foam rot?

 

Listening to your sound positive impressions from a vintage closed can is interesting. 

I had a similar experience with a vintage closed can, not regarding soundstage, but I was absolutely stumped by the sound, and for weeks I would just be like "Ok...one more listen"... but they've been in storage for a while. I'll put up some photos soon. Interestingly, those cans also have foam around the grill, but it's in perfect condition. I dare not touch the foam, because I suspect it's already rotted and waiting to fall off.

Yeah, it's chunks of foam still stuck to the glue.

 

These things have a good deal of bass, and they're not middy at all... the treble has sparkle and is quite smooth. Never harsh. The bass reaches deep and exhibits control, but it's just a tad muddy in the upper midbass... I think its got a little bit of bass resonance. Not sure. 

 

Overall the set seems extremely analytical. They're forgiving sometimes but other times I hear artifacts in my songs I've never heard before. I also notice a LOT more detail on my denser songs. They don't jump out and scream 'detail', but they still render those details. The soundstage, imaging, and instrument placement is very good. Instrument separation is also quite good. I can very easily separate voice parts. I also noticed that I was able to understand the lyrics in one of Psyborg Corp's songs, and if you don't know, they use a lot of intense distortion and filters on the vocals. 

 

I'm still very unsure about the set. I know they're good and I know I like them, but I just... idk. When I listen to them, I'm listening very intently and I don't just sit and enjoy them, I'm constantly attentive to them, trying to ascertain what they're like. 


Edited by takato14 - 10/21/12 at 8:10pm
post #522 of 1230

My closed vintage cans - Manta 7000 (probably manufactured by Calrad)

 

-Volumes knobs on both sides

 

Super cool pressed aluminium grills and foam around the sides

 

...and a carry case.

 

At first they seem very comfortable, but the clamping pressure gets really annoying after about 5 minutes - the headband is similar to a Grado with a single metal rod, so I assume it can be bent to adjust the pressure.

I think they're very pretty, and they feel very well made. I wish I could get inside, but under the earpads I saw that the front grill plate is connected with small pop-rivets, so to open it requires destruction frown.gif

 

I wish the sound was as good as the looks, but there's not enough detail retrieval to keep me listening to them. There's plenty of bass, with a noticeable hump in the mid-bass, but it does extend well and responds very well to EQ. It's very treble shy which also responds very well to EQ which helps bring out more detail, but not completely to my liking. These are definitely low-mid heavy with a very rich emphasis on the lower vocal/cello range. This natural sound works VERY well for old jazz recordings which are often very thin sounding like Louis Armstrong, but doesn't work so good for female vocals or good/modern recordings. 

I suspect there might be a pretty good (in comparison to other) full size paper cone speaker inside as it sounds fairly similar to my Sony DR-7, but with more details and range. 

post #523 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

My closed vintage cans - Manta 7000 (probably manufactured by Calrad)

 

-Volumes knobs on both sides

 

Super cool pressed aluminium grills and foam around the sides

 

...and a carry case.

 

At first they seem very comfortable, but the clamping pressure gets really annoying after about 5 minutes - the headband is similar to a Grado with a single metal rod, so I assume it can be bent to adjust the pressure.

I think they're very pretty, and they feel very well made. I wish I could get inside, but under the earpads I saw that the front grill plate is connected with small pop-rivets, so to open it requires destruction frown.gif

 

I wish the sound was as good as the looks, but there's not enough detail retrieval to keep me listening to them. There's plenty of bass, with a noticeable hump in the mid-bass, but it does extend well and responds very well to EQ. It's very treble shy which also responds very well to EQ which helps bring out more detail, but not completely to my liking. These are definitely low-mid heavy with a very rich emphasis on the lower vocal/cello range. This natural sound works VERY well for old jazz recordings which are often very thin sounding like Louis Armstrong, but doesn't work so good for female vocals or good/modern recordings. 

I suspect there might be a pretty good (in comparison to other) full size paper cone speaker inside as it sounds fairly similar to my Sony DR-7, but with more details and range. 

Wow, the driver vents are really pretty. Those are gorgeous. 

post #524 of 1230

i was in an antique store today and i saw a pair of these, basically the same condition as the picture but without and sort of cabling, the guy wanted $15 for them, not sure if they would be worth buying for a DIY project, or even just to own. 

 

300px-Brandes_Superior_Matched_Tone_c._1919-21.jpg

post #525 of 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscythe View Post

i was in an antique store today and i saw a pair of these, basically the same condition as the picture but without and sort of cabling, the guy wanted $15 for them, not sure if they would be worth buying for a DIY project, or even just to own. 

 

300px-Brandes_Superior_Matched_Tone_c._1919-21.jpg

 

For a DIY project you'll probably need to spend more than $15 to get them in a decent working shape with recabling, new drivers, maybe a new headband. These types of projects are for the love of the hobby, as the drivers inside them are usually rated 2000 ohms and sound worse than anything... if you can even find something powerful enough to run them. 

I saw one thread where a guy refurbished a bunch of these super vintage headphones with almost new everything, so they were perfectly functional and very pretty, but then gave them to family and friends as gifts. 
That kind of project only lowers the value (for collectors) as original parts are damaged or discarded, but it looked like a really cool idea. 

The last time I asked about the price of one of these in a flea market, the guy wanted 60 euros... blink.gif ... and it was in bad shape....so from my perspective it's not a terrible price, unless German super vintage headphones are worth more than American.... biggrin.gif ... just make sure it's not one-of-a-kind-super-rare before you rip it's guts out. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!