Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 34

post #496 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

? The Monitor 10 uses a LOT of metal. It's one of the heaviest vintage cans. Afaik the earcups are the only plastic part.

Right, people still complain about the earcups being plastic. "WHY CAN'T IT BE ALL METAL?" Because that'd be unbearable, unspecified person.

post #497 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

? The Monitor 10 uses a LOT of metal. It's one of the heaviest vintage cans. Afaik the earcups are the only plastic part.

Right, people still complain about the earcups being plastic. "WHY CAN'T IT BE ALL METAL?" Because that'd be unbearable, unspecified person.

I agree.

 

A certain pair of Final Audio headphones were constructed out of 100% stainless steel. It weighs 2 pounds. That's almost twice the weight of the LCD-2. How's that for neck pain? Additionally, the headband is totally unpadded. I don't know about you, but I'd absolutely love to have a huge chunk of metal digging into the top of my head. That'll feel AMAZING.

post #498 of 1373

^ You'd love the AKG K 160 too, hard vinyl digging into your skull. Could wear those two together even.

post #499 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

? The Monitor 10 uses a LOT of metal. It's one of the heaviest vintage cans. Afaik the earcups are the only plastic part.

Right, people still complain about the earcups being plastic. "WHY CAN'T IT BE ALL METAL?" Because that'd be unbearable, unspecified person.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

I agree.

 

A certain pair of Final Audio headphones were constructed out of 100% stainless steel. It weighs 2 pounds. That's almost twice the weight of the LCD-2. How's that for neck pain? Additionally, the headband is totally unpadded. I don't know about you, but I'd absolutely love to have a huge chunk of metal digging into the top of my head. That'll feel AMAZING.

 

The fork holding the cup is also plastic.

post #500 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR30 View Post

The fork holding the cup is also plastic.

 

 

Somehow, I doubt that is plastic >____>

post #501 of 1373

It's very cleverly done in the Japanese fake tradition of those decades. The part fixing the fork to the headband is metal, moulded into the plastic. I know, I used to own a pair. It can't compete with modern designs.

 

The driver is interesting, though, probably the first  "free edge design" where the plastic diaphragm isn't glued to the rim, but connected with a foam suspension (like a normal loudspeaker). Denon did the same with their bio-cellulose drivers of the D1000-D7000 series, and probably with the new line as well.

 

 

But the membrane of the Pioneer Monitor 10 is quite thick and the coil is quite small. Even the nostalgia of Steely Dan's guitarist "Skunk" Baxter wearing them in the studio doesn't make the headphone better than it is. And the plastic cups and driver fixings are far from solid.

 

A historic piece, at best.


Edited by MDR30 - 10/10/12 at 1:22pm
post #502 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR30 View Post
A historic piece, at best.

And an extraordinary sounding one at that. 

post #503 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR30 View Post

It's very cleverly done in the Japanese fake tradition of those decades. The part fixing the fork to the headband is metal, moulded into the plastic. I know, I used to own a pair. It can't compete with modern designs.

 

The driver is interesting, though, probably the first  "free edge design" where the plastic diaphragm isn't glued to the rim, but connected with a foam suspension (like a normal loudspeaker). Denon did the same with their bio-cellulose drivers of the D1000-D7000 series, and probably with the new line as well.

 

 

But the membrane of the Pioneer Monitor 10 is quite thick and the coil is quite small. Even the nostalgia of Steely Dan's guitarist "Skunk" Baxter wearing them in the studio doesn't make the headphone better than it is. And the plastic cups and driver fixings are far from solid.

 

A historic piece, at best.

The Monitor 10 is a great headphone and is built like a tank. End of story.

post #504 of 1373

Got another oldie headed my way. Not sure when it'll be here, but I'll post it as soon as I get it.

post #505 of 1373

My Koss Reference One headphones have just shipped. Very eager to receive them. They look like a fancier Pro 4AAA. Hopefully the sound will as good, if not better than the Pro 4AAA. 

post #506 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

My Koss Reference One headphones have just shipped. Very eager to receive them. They look like a fancier Pro 4AAA. Hopefully the sound will as good, if not better than the Pro 4AAA. 

It's not this by any chance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reference-One-Stereo-Headphones-by-Koss-/150903372800?nma=true&si=LM1%2Bqrw7NeGjWBxoqljeg28nkkk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

That's usually the kind of design I avoid be default (closed back plastic tat).... but the Koss name always peaks my curiosity. 

 

(I will happily delete this post if pasting links like this is frowned upon - I know it's the unwritten rule not to pose unfinished auctions)


Edited by GREQ - 10/18/12 at 2:18am
post #507 of 1373

AKG K240 SDF. (Space Diffusion Fields).

 


Edited by Acix - 10/18/12 at 3:28am
post #508 of 1373

^ Wasn't that the K 270 or K 280, though?

post #509 of 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

^ Wasn't that the K 270 or K 280, though?

That's what I thought when I saw the black buttons... but the DF also had black buttons, but I don't see the double drivers... could this be a super frankenphone with k240 drivers, k270 body, and some DF elements?

post #510 of 1373

Either way, they look like they belong on a Russian space station.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!