Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 10

post #136 of 1096
Thread Starter 

Sansui ss-1

these are mylar -not paper- drivers. probably one of the earlier mylar drivers out there. very detailed sound, especially for its day

IMG_5404.JPG

post #137 of 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post

Sansui ss-1

these are mylar -not paper- drivers. probably one of the earlier mylar drivers out there. very detailed sound, especially for its day


Hmph! The colour of those headphones are way before their time.

 

Any idea on the manufacturing year?

post #138 of 1096
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post




Hmph! The colour of those headphones are way before their time.

 

Any idea on the manufacturing year?


cannot find a date on the paperwork. most likely early-mid 70s

post #139 of 1096

http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/sansui/SS-1.html
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post




cannot find a date on the paperwork. most likely early-mid 70s

post #140 of 1096
Thread Starter 

awesome- wow these are from the 60s then!  a very early mylar driver

post #141 of 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeckyllAndHyde View Post

 

 

AKG K1 - very nice look :) and decent sound

IMG_5680.JPG

IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5683.JPG


I am mindblow and delighted by this. I have kinda long curly (messed up ) hair, i could end up bald by that headband.

very interesting folding system, i wonder if any company could release such thing these days


Edited by JamesMcProgger - 1/3/11 at 8:08am
post #142 of 1096

dose anyone know what is the brand of YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA headphones?

the ones they used in LIVE AT GREEK THEATER in 1979.

any reply with the brand name or where i can buy them would be apreciated, thanks.

post #143 of 1096

Pioneer SE-50 circa 1972

IMG_2580.JPG


Edited by fatcat28037 - 1/8/11 at 2:12pm
post #144 of 1096

happy_face1.gifThis is a pair of akg k140 i renovated and modded.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528947/renovated-and-modded-akg-k140-baby-sextetts#post_7132580  (from post 1)

                                                                                                     paddy


Edited by pjc68 - 1/9/11 at 4:09pm
post #145 of 1096

This is a late production pair of sextetts i renovated.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486657/wtb-akg-k240-drivers/15#post_7166060  (from post 28)

                                                                                                  paddy


Edited by pjc68 - 1/9/11 at 4:10pm
post #146 of 1096

24012011148.jpg24012011147.jpgAkg k240DF

Got these yesterday, opened them up and to my suprise they dont need modding, the elastics, pads and foam are 100% sound.

Cleaned the contacts with deoxit and progold then put them back together, these are great sounding phones.

 

post #147 of 1096

Beyer DT 48 S, 25 Ohm

IMG_3467.JPG

 

This is the 25 Ohm S version of Beyer DT 48. According to the original owner they were used in movie productions in Germany, along with a Nagra recorder.

 

The condition is very good, no scratches on the aluminum surfaces.

 

It says BEYER on the side of the phones, not Beyerdynamic, and this would probably make them a 50's or 60's pair. On the backside of the drivers there are some markings, "50" on the left, and "57" on the right. Some DT 48 owners here on head-fi have suspected that the numbers on the drivers would be the year of manufacturing. If so, then the right driver was probably replaced at some point, allthough there don't seem to be any toolmarks or solder that would suggest that. There is absolutely no noticeable tonal difference between the drivers though.

 

I replaced the original DIN connector with a jack, and replaced the earpads too. The headband has been changed by the original owner at some point, as the one currently attached is the version probably used since 1970's.

 

With the new earpads the seal is good enough to produce quite deep and powerful bass, and the sound overall is quite enjoyable with live recordings that have a simple setting. Well recorded acoustic instruments sound great, and Tom Waits' In Shades from the album Heartattack and vine for instance just simply shines with them.

 

The phones are still waiting a recabling, as I haven't had the time to do that just yet (during the two years I've had them :D ).

 

-Lauri

post #148 of 1096


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri.hoefs View Post

Beyer DT 48 S, 25 Ohm

IMG_3467.JPG

 

This is the 25 Ohm S version of Beyer DT 48. According to the original owner they were used in movie productions in Germany, along with a Nagra recorder.

 

The condition is very good, no scratches on the aluminum surfaces.

 

It says BEYER on the side of the phones, not Beyerdynamic, and this would probably make them a 50's or 60's pair. On the backside of the drivers there are some markings, "50" on the left, and "57" on the right. Some DT 48 owners here on head-fi have suspected that the numbers on the drivers would be the year of manufacturing. If so, then the right driver was probably replaced at some point, allthough there don't seem to be any toolmarks or solder that would suggest that. There is absolutely no noticeable tonal difference between the drivers though.

 

I replaced the original DIN connector with a jack, and replaced the earpads too. The headband has been changed by the original owner at some point, as the one currently attached is the version probably used since 1970's.

 

With the new earpads the seal is good enough to produce quite deep and powerful bass, and the sound overall is quite enjoyable with live recordings that have a simple setting. Well recorded acoustic instruments sound great, and Tom Waits' In Shades from the album Heartattack and vine for instance just simply shines with them.

 

The phones are still waiting a recabling, as I haven't had the time to do that just yet (during the two years I've had them :D ).

 

-Lauri


Great condition...I'll need to get new aluminum cups to put my DT-48S in this shape.

 

Here is my driver markings: DT.jpg

post #149 of 1096

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix View Post


Great condition...I'll need to get new aluminum cups to put my DT-48S in this shape.

 

Here is my driver markings: DT.jpg



 

I took a closer look at my phones, the number I thought to be 50 could actually be a 56, so then it just might be the production year. Then there's also the number 9881 engraved on both drivers, but no other markings aside that.

 

It would make sense, that the two digit number is the production year of the driver, and the other the serial number of the whole assembly.

 

-Lauri

post #150 of 1096


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri.hoefs View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix View Post


Great condition...I'll need to get new aluminum cups to put my DT-48S in this shape.

 

Here is my driver markings: DT.jpg



 

I took a closer look at my phones, the number I thought to be 50 could actually be a 56, so then it just might be the production year. Then there's also the number 9881 engraved on both drivers, but no other markings aside that.

 

It would make sense, that the two digit number is the production year of the driver, and the other the serial number of the whole assembly.

 

-Lauri


 

Yay Lauri, this makes a lot of sense. In this case Beyer produce around 5000 pieces between 56 to 70s, is like 350 per year.  basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Show us your vintage headphones!