- 2,509 Posts. Joined 2/2014
- Location: U.S.A. Minnesota
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Yesterday at 10:15 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Website: LINK Product page: LINK Price: $50 + Shipping The package… The cable arrives in a small cardboard box and just the cable well wrapped inside. Nothing...
The new Crusher wireless from Skullcandy is a great improvement on the old Skullcrushers. The most noticeable improvement is NO EXTERNAL BATTERIES which is very important because a person can spend...
I have been using this for over a year now and use it nearly daily. Extremely versatile component can be used not only for mobile play, but also line out to my receiver (don't yet have funds for...
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
Show us your vintage headphones! - Page 78post #1156 of 18146/2/14 at 7:35amWell, actually if anyone knows of another vintage pair that is good that can be found for 40$ or less, tell me. I prefer open back.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1157 of 18146/2/14 at 7:41am
Vs: Show us your vintage headphones!post #1158 of 18146/2/14 at 7:57amQuote:
The Koss HV/1 series can usually be bought for under $40 and were apparently really good for their time. I've got an OEM of the HV/1A plus according to Takato14 - the Diamond Stylus SH-700 - that I got for really cheap coming my way so I can give you sound impressions once they arrive if you want.One of the seller's pictures. (Click to show)post #1159 of 18146/2/14 at 8:13ampost #1160 of 18146/2/14 at 9:06ampost #1161 of 18146/2/14 at 10:03ampost #1162 of 18146/2/14 at 10:31ampost #1163 of 18146/2/14 at 10:37ampost #1164 of 18146/2/14 at 10:39amQuote:
Most orthos are closed-back with a vented housing but some can be modded to be open-back and still sound good. Orthos require far far more power than the E11 can ever provide them; I suggest getting a vintage receiver if you plan to buy orthos, or at least have an amp good enough for them.post #1165 of 18146/2/14 at 10:43amQuote:well... I have an old stereo system from the 1980's that can put 80 watts into speakers, and I think it also amps the headphones??? How about electrostats? Can they be used with an e11?Originally Posted by BucketInABucket
Most orthos are closed-back with a vented housing but some can be modded to be open-back and still sound good. Orthos require far far more power than the E11 can ever provide them; I suggest getting a vintage receiver if you plan to buy orthos, or at least have an amp good enough for them.post #1166 of 18146/2/14 at 10:45amQuote:
That old system will probably work. Probably. Electrostats...they require a special electrostatic amp, they can't be powered from a bog-standard amp.post #1167 of 18146/2/14 at 10:49ampost #1168 of 18146/2/14 at 10:56amQuote:
No, every electrostat requires an electrostat amp, from the Koss ESP950 to the Stax 009. The AKGs don't need an electrostat amp as they're not part electrostat but instead part electret which is a different driver principle although similar to the electrostat driver principle. Regardless, if you want them to sound good they do still need gobs of power due to the electret part of the 340.
This came in the mail today.
Looks really pretty! Shame they sound terrible though.
This is why. Instead of the famous Koss HV/1 driver, they're using a crappy old paper-cone driver. Godammitschiit.
Close-up of the driver. 50mm diameter and I didn't bother measuring the impedance.post #1169 of 18146/2/14 at 10:59ampost #1170 of 18146/2/14 at 11:02amQuote:
Nope, absolutely not, especially when the E11 has difficulty even driving the HD600. Most people recommend speaker amps to drive electrets anyways, they take around the same amount or even more power than orthos.
- Show us your vintage headphones!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 21 seconds ago
- › Klipsch Promedia 2.1 binding post mod? 25 seconds ago
- › Replacing cable on ATH M50 35 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 46 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › Why are flagship headphones so expensive now? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear