Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The ATH-AD900 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The ATH-AD900 Appreciation Thread

post #1 of 655
Thread Starter 
I did a search and was amazed I couldn't find an appreciation thread for these amazing cans. Well, let me just say that these are my favorite cans now and are more musical and complete sounding than anything Ive ever had before(check my profile). Plus these guys sound great even out of my ipod touch 2g. Once you get the head placement right and enough burn in(I didnt count but they just came to place at some point within 100 hours), they are unmatched in their price class and may be the best regardless of price among headphones that don't need a dedicated amp.

post #2 of 655
Yep-great headphone.
I like mine even better with the W5000 leather pads, I feel they further improve bass impact and add an ever so slightly "fuller" maybe "warmer" sound signature.

They are excellent well rounded fons and I agree that they are as good as any without external amplification (that I have heard, although I doubt that they could compete with ED9 or MSPro etc). They do improve with external amp, particularly in the bass dept, although I don't find them "bass light" as some have reported.

Cheers to the AD900.
post #3 of 655
Thread Starter 
wont they get a little honky and blurred with the w5000 pads?
post #4 of 655
These cans are up next for me (after the KICAS amp ).
post #5 of 655
Umatched? At what price point?
post #6 of 655
How are the highs? (sparkle/no sparkle)


Pics of you wearing them (I've always wondered what they look like on someone's head...)?
post #7 of 655
I'm with you. As can be seen in the thread I've started when I first auditioned them.

I do find them to be very balanced and involving headphones, I haven't enjoyed music that much for a long time. They are very easy to drive, and sound great out of the Kenwood KA-7100 I own, even better than with the Creek OBH-11 or the DV336se.

They aren't a new model, but for some reason they started getting recognition just lately.

And yes, I too find them to be unmatched by anything it the price range. I would like to give them a try with a pair of W5000 pads now that its mentioned
post #8 of 655
What's the cheapest/most reliable place to buy these gems online in the US?
post #9 of 655
I would also like to see a pic of them on someone's head.
post #10 of 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_don't_know View Post
What's the cheapest/most reliable place to buy these gems online in the US?
I'm in Canada, but had no hassle with Audiocubes. I think they have a branch in New York, but all their stuff is from Japan.

I love my AD900s.
post #11 of 655
Also, do these have the usual Audio-Technica midrange coloration, or is it more transparent with these?
post #12 of 655
I've heard the W5000/A900/AD2000/W10vtg and a few others and find the AD900 to have a very clear midrange (while the W10VTG and AD2000 have a very colored midrange).
post #13 of 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT88 View Post
I'm with you. As can be seen in the thread I've started when I first auditioned them.

I do find them to be very balanced and involving headphones, I haven't enjoyed music that much for a long time. They are very easy to drive, and sound great out of the Kenwood KA-7100 I own, even better than with the Creek OBH-11 or the DV336se.

They aren't a new model, but for some reason they started getting recognition just lately.

And yes, I too find them to be unmatched by anything it the price range. I would like to give them a try with a pair of W5000 pads now that its mentioned
The DT48 might have something to say about that..
post #14 of 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_don't_know View Post
Also, do these have the usual Audio-Technica midrange coloration, or is it more transparent with these?
It's a little more transparent, but there is a definite midrange bump! I haven't decided yet if it is annoying or if I can deal with it.

Personally I think the bass is a little weak. I was surprised that it is only at most as good as AD700, while I was expecting it to be slightly more enhanced. Those are really the only two sound issues I have, though. It's a fantastic sounding headphone.

For me though, comfort is a major issue with these open ATH phones. The driver does rub my ear a little, but not as much as the AD700 did. The lack of angling must help with that. The bigger problem is just the sheer size and even weight of the cans. They are HUGE! I also find them to feel a little heavy actually, and the "wings" both seem to press down into my head after awhile, but also allow the can to slip down if I move around to much. After about 30-45 min. the fabric on my face and neck just gets too much to take and I have to take a break. But for now it's worth putting up with, because they just sound so good.

Btw, great review, KT88. I think you're right that these bring the MUSIC! That was well stated.
post #15 of 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_don't_know View Post
Pics of you wearing them (I've always wondered what they look like on someone's head...)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggranak View Post
I would also like to see a pic of them on someone's head.
Hard to find pic with A-T's on head, that's not AD900 but better something than nothing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The ATH-AD900 Appreciation Thread