- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by dbsaffor, 11/24/13
Related Forum Threads
- Senn hd600 vs. Fidelio X1 Compare? Last post on 9/18/14 at 4:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Trying to find portable equivalent of HD600 Last post on 9/17/14 at 2:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best $300 Headphones Last post on 9/20/14 at 10:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840 Last post on 9/19/14 at 5:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Rotel RP-6400 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I can doublecheck soon though since I just ordered a stylus as a backup for my vintage AT150ML, which I will soon be installing in place of my Grace F9e.
So apparently my father is actually using the Marantz and the KEF speakers. But he's only using it for watching TV! But I was over there tonight, and I did find the model of the speakers. They are KEF Cadenza, from 1972. Also the light in the Marantz is busted, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to have repaired. For now I'm ok to use the headphones most of the time, but I'll try and persuade him to trade speakers and possibly receivers as well.
As far as cartridges go, I think I can budget for a bit more than the MP-11. What would be the best bet up to $100?
It's not the end of the world if you have to use the Harman-Kardon. It's a good receiver and sonically as good as the Marantz. The tonal balance is more neutral and it's more detailed. The Marantz does have a better phono stage and is prettier when it's lit up. The light/led can be replaced as this is a common problem with vintage Marantz receivers.
I would still lean towards memepool's suggestion of the Nagaoka as your cartridge choice. It's nicely balanced. Even at $100., there's nothing I can think of that would be better.
Another choice would be the Shure M97xe. This would work with your HK receiver, but you'd feel a lack of treble detail with the Marantz, and especially using the Kefs.
The Grado Black is also a good cartridge, but I feel that the Nagaoka is better and would work better in your arm.
The AT440MLa I suggested is a brighter, more forward cartridge with a tight, lean bass. I believe this would work well with the Marantz and Kefs since they have a warmer sound (less so with the HK). You may want to read some reviews on it, since it's a love/hate kind of cartridge with very little in-between.
Rotel is made by Roland in Japan the RP-6400 was made about 1978-1981. I have had Thorens and Yamaha turntable and prefer the Rotel its a good work horse. My Thorens got repaired numerous times and the Yamaha I think P730 was very reliable but I could not replace the motor when it died.
- Rotel RP-6400
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: Tralucent DacAmp One... 17 seconds ago
- › Trying to find the perfect over-ear headphones to invest in 52 seconds ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 1 minute ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › IEMs under 100$ or below 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 Headphones with custom audiophile cable and amp 5 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)