Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Move over iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Move over iPod

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Check it:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/57a3.shtml

Discuss.

Later,
Jeff
post #2 of 40
Rockin'! The PC equivilent of the iPod at last.

*back to minidiscs now*
post #3 of 40
Quote:
The PC equivilent of the iPod at last.
Well........close, but no cigar. The physical appearance, IMHO, is not nearly as elegant or classy as the iPod's clean lines. And the data transfer speed of the USB port is not even in the same ballpark as the Firewire port on the iPod. And why do I get the feeling that the interface with the computer will not be as seamless as the one that exists between the iPod and a Mac? And it's $180 more than the iPod as well. Nice try, though.
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by joelongwood

Well........close, but no cigar. The physical appearance, IMHO, is not nearly as elegant or classy as the iPod's clean lines. And the data transfer speed of the USB port is not even in the same ballpark as the Firewire port on the iPod. And why do I get the feeling that the interface with the computer will not be as seamless as the one that exists between the iPod and a Mac? And it's $180 more than the iPod as well. Nice try, though.
True but then again it has twice the storage space, built-in ethernet connectivity and a PC card slot. Elegant and classy are personal preferences, some people prefer classic to cute. As far as the firewire port, well you have it there. However, the real world difference in transfer speeds are not as divegent as the specs would have you believe. At least we now have a toy for those of us who use a computer for real work Let the flamings and Mac-inations begin.
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by morphsci
At least we now have a toy for those of us who use a computer for real work
I think you're confused; that should read, "...a toy for those of us who like struggling to make their computer work." Those of us who actually want to get work done use Macs...


Disclaimer: I actually make my living with Macs (OS 9 & X), Windows (NT & 2000) boxes, and UNIX (Linux & Solaris) boxes. But I couldn't let morphsci's comment pass. I promise I won't be contributing anything more to the war. )
post #6 of 40
Quote:
As far as the firewire port, well you have it there. However, the real world difference in transfer speeds are not as divegent as the specs would have you believe.
Actually, they are. In fact, if anything, the real world differences are bigger, since FireWire actually achieves most advertised rates, while USB almost never does To fill up a 5GB drive, FireWire takes 5-10 minutes, USB takes 3-4 hours.
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by morphsci
As far as the firewire port, well you have it there. However, the real world difference in transfer speeds are not as divegent as the specs would have you believe.
Sorry, I do have to comment about this. The real-world difference in transfer speeds between Firewire and USB are huge -- I have both Firewire and USB hard drives.

Firewire:USB::Cheetah:Limping armadillo
post #8 of 40
Morphsci,

So you think this thing looks good? Looks like a poorly copied design of those new nokia cell phones except 4 times as big. I guess it makes sense for PC users. It's all yours!

I probably can fit this badboy in my pocket. I just can't sit.
post #9 of 40
Hmm... I guess some people don't know how to tweak their computers to maximize USB transfer rates.

Damn you Mackies are so easy
post #10 of 40
Who cares? It's just for stupid MP3s. I can't get too excited or excited at all for MP3s. Sure they look nice, but they play MP3s! BAH~!
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Arcuri


Sorry, I do have to comment about this. The real-world difference in transfer speeds between Firewire and USB are huge -- I have both Firewire and USB hard drives.

Firewire:USB::Cheetah:Limping armadillo
Well armadillos are expanding their range and cheetahs are dwindling fast. Is that the analogy you really wanted?
post #12 of 40
I would like to turbocharge my usb connection to go 30 times faster than normal. How do you do that?
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by KR...
Who cares? It's just for stupid MP3s. I can't get too excited or excited at all for MP3s. Sure they look nice, but they play MP3s! BAH~!
But with its ethernet connectivity and my home network I can easily get music (and video) to any room in my house or anywhere at work for that matter. But you're right it will not replace the nice Sony SACD I am listening to even as I write this. However, for background music on demand I can see some possibilities.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by tvhead
I would like to turbocharge my usb connection to go 30 times faster than normal. How do you do that?
If I told you I would have to kill you. We don't want that do we?
post #15 of 40
No, sir. I would like to live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Move over iPod