Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Yesterday at 5:34 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies - Page 10post #136 of 1473/29/10 at 2:17am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 1473/30/10 at 1:54ampost #138 of 1474/22/10 at 9:00pmRealize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #139 of 1474/23/10 at 7:39amHey boo, I was wondering if you might include a warning like this somewhere in the guide. I posted it in a newbie asking for help thread and IMO most people new to headfi could use the advice.Quote:
A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.
Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isn't a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.
Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.post #140 of 1474/23/10 at 7:41amQuote:Realize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #141 of 1474/30/10 at 1:53amOh, it's really hard to feed the headphones. The headphone itself may cost 300 bucks but a good system for it will cost over 1000.
Anyways, thanks for shareing. I am thinking of a pair of K701, but I definately know I do not have the source, amp, etc.post #142 of 1478/4/10 at 8:30ampost #143 of 1478/4/10 at 1:54pmpost #144 of 1478/4/10 at 2:26pmpost #145 of 1478/4/10 at 6:06pmpost #146 of 14711/9/10 at 5:26pm
Found this page on Apple's website:
It's a good concise guide (with a few diagrams) to the different headphone/earphone types, noise cancelling vs noise isolation, even a bit about why some 'phones cost so much.
- Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
Currently, there are 3667 Active Users (650 Members and 3017 Guests)
- › Sony MDR-1000X 52 seconds ago
- › FS: Empire Ears Athena (8-BA) CIEM - 3 months old 1 minute ago
- › Beoplay A1 Portable Bluetooth Speakers 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features 3 minutes ago
- › New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Low noise usb soundcard for sleeptalk recording 6 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear