Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Yesterday at 11:05 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I don't really want to talk about the use of these for music. They were once the king under $100, and still are very good for the price -- but the best low-end headphones today would give all but...
Photo courtesy of Onsong Audio INTRODUCTION I recently tested out two battery-powered DAC/Amp solutions for getting better audio out of my iPhone, the Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3. When I...
PIONEER HRM-7 REVIEW The Pioneer HRM-7 is what seems to be Pioneers first entry into the professional studio realm. Previously Pioneer has been very involved in providing almost everything a DJ...
Pros: Comfort, build quality, sub-bass quality, multiple sound tunings. Cons: Shouty upper mids Tonal Balance: Warm to balanced depending on ports. Style: Closed over-ear Listening...
The T40rp mark 2 is a very fine headphone. My first impression's of them where positive although your ears might take a while to get use to the very unique sound signature. They are very well...
Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies - Page 10post #136 of 1473/29/10 at 2:17am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 1473/30/10 at 1:54ampost #138 of 1474/22/10 at 9:00pmRealize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #139 of 1474/23/10 at 7:39amHey boo, I was wondering if you might include a warning like this somewhere in the guide. I posted it in a newbie asking for help thread and IMO most people new to headfi could use the advice.Quote:
A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.
Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isn't a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.
Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.post #140 of 1474/23/10 at 7:41amQuote:Realize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #141 of 1474/30/10 at 1:53amOh, it's really hard to feed the headphones. The headphone itself may cost 300 bucks but a good system for it will cost over 1000.
Anyways, thanks for shareing. I am thinking of a pair of K701, but I definately know I do not have the source, amp, etc.post #142 of 1478/4/10 at 8:30ampost #143 of 1478/4/10 at 1:54pmpost #144 of 1478/4/10 at 2:26pmpost #145 of 1478/4/10 at 6:06pmpost #146 of 14711/9/10 at 5:26pm
Found this page on Apple's website:
It's a good concise guide (with a few diagrams) to the different headphone/earphone types, noise cancelling vs noise isolation, even a bit about why some 'phones cost so much.
- Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 2846 Active Users (437 Members and 2409 Guests)
- › [REVIEW] Fischer Audio FA-002 and FA-003: Two to Tango 15 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 20 seconds ago
- › DT 990 Pro 250ohm vs K702 65th Anniversary vs Fischer Audio FA-003Ti 1 minute ago
- › Headphone amp for FA-003 1 minute ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 1 minute ago
- › Fischer Audio Wooden Wood Cups fa-002w LBR Light Brown Beech fa-003... 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio Cans (FA-002/FA-003) 3 minutes ago
- › are fa-003 good headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 5 minutes ago
- › FA003/HM5/Jaycar - With zebrano wood cups. 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Calyx Audio PaT Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - Gold by nmatheis
- › Pioneer HRM-7 Professional Studio Headphones by grizzlybeast
- › ZMF x Vibro by keanex
- › FOSTEX T40RP mkII DJ Headphones by JVC steven
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by tassardar
- › PW Audio Legend II v2 Copper IEM Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Xiaomi Mi Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Hisoundfi
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2