Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 4:41 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Audioquest Nighthawk headphone was on sale at TTJV Audio’s website. Here is a link to Todd’s listing of the...
REVIEW FOR THE APOGEE GROOVE ABOUT ME Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I’ve been lucky on my Head-Fi journey to meet and converse with some wonderful people who...
I tried these from a shop, they did look very nice when first spotted. I wanted some nice speakers to use with my laptop, and that could be transported if I was going away for some time. The...
A company whose products give me endless enjoyment, they fulfill every need I personally look for in audio...
Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies - Page 10post #136 of 1473/29/10 at 2:17am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 1473/30/10 at 1:54ampost #138 of 1474/22/10 at 9:00pmRealize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #139 of 1474/23/10 at 7:39amHey boo, I was wondering if you might include a warning like this somewhere in the guide. I posted it in a newbie asking for help thread and IMO most people new to headfi could use the advice.Quote:
A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.
Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isn't a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.
Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.post #140 of 1474/23/10 at 7:41amQuote:Realize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #141 of 1474/30/10 at 1:53amOh, it's really hard to feed the headphones. The headphone itself may cost 300 bucks but a good system for it will cost over 1000.
Anyways, thanks for shareing. I am thinking of a pair of K701, but I definately know I do not have the source, amp, etc.post #142 of 1478/4/10 at 8:30ampost #143 of 1478/4/10 at 1:54pmpost #144 of 1478/4/10 at 2:26pmpost #145 of 1478/4/10 at 6:06pmpost #146 of 14711/9/10 at 5:26pm
Found this page on Apple's website:
It's a good concise guide (with a few diagrams) to the different headphone/earphone types, noise cancelling vs noise isolation, even a bit about why some 'phones cost so much.
- Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 3027 Active Users (497 Members and 2530 Guests)
- › BEST TIPS FOR IEMS ARE??? 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Capella Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › $399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip 3 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › What is resolution and how is it measured? 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 minutes ago
- › Gustard X12 USB 240V Europe (PP and shipping included) 9 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › RHA T20 by dweaver
- › Bluetooth receiver dual amplifier class1 NFC (black) [Japan Import] by peter123
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by Mediahound
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by Mediahound
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by Mediahound
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3