Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 12:12 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I just bought this headphone this week. In the stores, I tested the headphone selections using Samsung Galaxy S7 Exynos version and Spotify's Extreme Quality. MDR-1A was the best during my test in...
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies - Page 10post #136 of 1473/29/10 at 2:17am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 1473/30/10 at 1:54ampost #138 of 1474/22/10 at 9:00pmRealize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #139 of 1474/23/10 at 7:39amHey boo, I was wondering if you might include a warning like this somewhere in the guide. I posted it in a newbie asking for help thread and IMO most people new to headfi could use the advice.Quote:
A note about purchasing stuff on head-fi based on lurking here and so on: I was in your shoes when I got here. Reading about stuff, not trying it out and then buying some items. One thing to realize is that most people posting here are passionate about audio / gear / music and thus tend to exaggerate. A reason for exaggeration is that when comparing two things that are similar, the reviewer will obviously notice and voice the differences more.
Another reason is psychological, if you shell out a couple of hundred/thousand dollars on a product (be that an amp, a dac, a piece of wire), you will want to feel good about yourself and you will happily notice small differences (or even imagine them) and post about the "night and day change". I'm not implying people here lie, just that to someone who isn't a music tech and is new to this world, most amps and sources reviewed here will sound very much alike. And yet if he doesn't have a chance to check these things out, he will feel the need to buy a new amp / dac / whatever, so he can achieve these night and day differences.
Just to check these things out, I popped my senns off the amp/dac combo and onto a jvc minitower (a good quality one, nice (digital) amplification for the speakers, but not a "high end" headphone choice). I listened to a track off a cd, then I came back to the PC and popped that into foobar. Is there a difference? Yes. Is this a HUGE difference? No. Add to that that I have a tubed headphone amp, which is supposed to be again a huge difference from solid state amps like that in the jvc. The receiver had enough power to drive my headphones. The differences are in nuanced things like presentation and soundstage, and some additional detail.post #140 of 1474/23/10 at 7:41amQuote:Realize that the better your headphones, the more miserable you will be if your CDs are poorly mastered. I still enjoy some of the "hot" CDs that I have (not horribly hot ones like "Californication", just ones that are kinda hot - the XTC remasters, for example), but the older and/or better mastered CDs are so much better to dive into.
I wish I had known about the "loudness war" earlier.post #141 of 1474/30/10 at 1:53amOh, it's really hard to feed the headphones. The headphone itself may cost 300 bucks but a good system for it will cost over 1000.
Anyways, thanks for shareing. I am thinking of a pair of K701, but I definately know I do not have the source, amp, etc.post #142 of 1478/4/10 at 8:30ampost #143 of 1478/4/10 at 1:54pmpost #144 of 1478/4/10 at 2:26pmpost #145 of 1478/4/10 at 6:06pmpost #146 of 14711/9/10 at 5:26pm
Found this page on Apple's website:
It's a good concise guide (with a few diagrams) to the different headphone/earphone types, noise cancelling vs noise isolation, even a bit about why some 'phones cost so much.
- Before you buy headphones: A hopefully helpful guide for newbies
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 3330 Active Users (570 Members and 2760 Guests)
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 19 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Review by mark2410 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia vs. HIFIMAN HE1000 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...