Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K1000: Is anyone living happily with the stock cable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K1000: Is anyone living happily with the stock cable?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Is upgrading to Equinox cable an absolute must or the leaness / metallic quality can easily tamed with a good tube amp?
post #2 of 24
The leanness IS from the amp or source you are listening to. The K-1000s reveal the system and recording only.

I have the stock cable and don't hear anything near what you describe.

That being said, the cable sucks and it just shows how much better these things can get. Re cabled K-1000s do sound much better. I've A/Bd them with stock and hardwired, and the improvement is very noticeable.

I don't know if anyone does it anymore though given that it is very tricky and there is risk to the drivers.
post #3 of 24
Yup to robm321. I lived happily with the stock cable, though I've heard both equinox and mogami hardwire recables and agree they're better. The leanness is due to amplfication and maybe source. I was using a SP Extreme Platinum as a pre-amp to a First Watt F1. No leaness or metallic sound at all.
post #4 of 24
One more for the stock cable sounding just fine. When I had an equinox tail end cable, I thought it made the K1000 sound worse. The hardwired version may sound better but I have never tried it.
post #5 of 24
Stock here and doing fine as well as your amp is upto it.
post #6 of 24
I live happily with the stock K1000 cable.
But then again I have not heard one with an aftermarket cable, so don't know what I am possibly missing out of.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
One more for the stock cable sounding just fine. When I had an equinox tail end cable, I thought it made the K1000 sound worse. The hardwired version may sound better but I have never tried it.
I forgot. I had an Equinox tail for awhile also. Never really did a comparison between it and stock so I can't say for sure, but don't recall a noticeable difference. As always, the most dramatic differences are going to be with amp and source.
post #8 of 24
What leanness and metallic sound? I've never heard that on a K-1000. You'll probably want to try a different amp - the K-1000 is extremely revealing of an amp's character. I run mine connected either to a Conrad-Johnson MV52 or to the speaker taps on a Moth Si2A3. You can clearly hear the difference between an EL34 and a 2A3.

My K-1000 is dead stock and I use the stock pigtail. I'm not a cable believer, and I haven't heard anything from the K-1000 that would suggest it is being held back.

I would also advise against recabling for practical reasons. The K-1000 is a difficult recable, with a fair chance of damaging the voicecoils or leads. Last I heard, AKG had no replacement drivers and no longer services the K-1000. If you, or someone else, fries a voice coil, you'll have to buy another pair. The risk is not worth it.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
One more for the stock cable sounding just fine. When I had an equinox tail end cable, I thought it made the K1000 sound worse. The hardwired version may sound better but I have never tried it.
The Equinox tail end cable made the K1000 sound worse in what ways?
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
What leanness and metallic sound? I've never heard that on a K-1000. You'll probably want to try a different amp - the K-1000 is extremely revealing of an amp's character. I run mine connected either to a Conrad-Johnson MV52 or to the speaker taps on a Moth Si2A3. You can clearly hear the difference between an EL34 and a 2A3.

My K-1000 is dead stock and I use the stock pigtail. I'm not a cable believer, and I haven't heard anything from the K-1000 that would suggest it is being held back.

I would also advise against recabling for practical reasons. The K-1000 is a difficult recable, with a fair chance of damaging the voicecoils or leads. Last I heard, AKG had no replacement drivers and no longer services the K-1000. If you, or someone else, fries a voice coil, you'll have to buy another pair. The risk is not worth it.
Not only that, but at least a couple of years ago the stock K-1000 was selling for more ones with the upgraded cable. I'm not really sure if that's still the case, but I think it would be better to track down a used recabled pair and then sell yours as uncle erik as laid the risks out of getting it done or DIY.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyoh View Post
The Equinox tail end cable made the K1000 sound worse in what ways?
The bass was slightly boosted but it lost definition and detail. The effect, albeit small, changed one of the features I like best about the K1000: bass detail and speed.
post #12 of 24
my k1000 was recabled by alex...and i don't notice a difference from the stock cable. however, the recable looks nicer.
post #13 of 24
stock here, sounds very good and certainly not metallic. I dont think a tube amp is required either. Quite a few use SS power amps.
post #14 of 24
secretly jealous of k1000 owners
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyoh View Post
Is upgrading to Equinox cable an absolute must or the leaness / metallic quality can easily tamed with a good tube amp?
Buy new cables if you want, but do not buy a cable from SAA. Their prices are snake oil, it's ridiculous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K1000: Is anyone living happily with the stock cable?