Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Narrowed doing IEM choices to Turbine, IE7, or PFE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Narrowed doing IEM choices to Turbine, IE7, or PFE

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
From two days of wondering this forum like crazy, reading almost every post in each of these IEMs discussion thread, I need one last bit of help decided between these three. Here are some details on what I am looking for in an IEM. NOTE: This will be my first IEM, and I will only be using it with a Zune 30GB and iPhone 3G, with mainly metal/screamo, punk, and house:

-More than well noise isolation
-Separation of each instrument, and the ability to clearly decipher it. Mainly for me is drums and bass guitar
-Very comfortable, and can easily be worn for consecutive hours without ear pain (I will probably get some Comply tips no matter what I buy though)
-Superior bass, yet never overpowers anything else
-Extreme clarity, I would sacrifice bass for this. I want something, again, to have the ability to separate and decipher every individual part of the music.

Budget is <$175. Base responses and suggestions off this please.
post #2 of 34
You can leave the PFE out since the soundstage is not it's strongest point. I would recommend the IE7. Probably has the best soundstage of all 3.
post #3 of 34
These are all FOTM IEMs. Apple in-ear is a keeper
post #4 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 View Post
You can leave the PFE out since the soundstage is not it's strongest point. I would recommend the IE7. Probably has the best soundstage of all 3.
I just threw the PFE in there to at least give the other two some competition, lol. Weren't really looking at getting them that much either.

I just realized though that the IE7s retail for $300...kind of over my budget. Is there anywhere I can get them massively cheaper?

Also, opinions on Turbine?
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by montell View Post
These are all FOTM IEMs. Apple in-ear is a keeper
okay seriously mr jobs, we get it

id say the IE7 will all your requirements well with the exception of isolation, its not great at that.

the IE7 was a vaible from some where for us$209 f and j or something? have a search im sure you will find mention of it
post #6 of 34
I believe i saw one for sale on here. Check out the buying & selling threads.
There is a forum member selling them for $175 US i believe for a slightly used one
post #7 of 34
The soundstage on the Apple in-ears is unreal. Even better then full sized cans! Wether its the K1000 or any Stax headphone. You'd have to bring in ESL speakers the size of a whole wall to approach the airiness of the Apple in-ears.

They are so detailed and the instrument seperation is out of this world. Its just insane. I could hear someone sneezing in a live recording of Michael Jacksons concert. Not only that I could pin point its exact location. It was about 56 degrees southwest ad about 50 miles away from the concert.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by montell View Post
The soundstage on the Apple in-ears is unreal. Even better then full sized cans! Wether its the K1000 or any Stax headphone. You'd have to bring in ESL speakers the size of a whole wall to approach the airiness of the Apple in-ears.

They are so detailed and the instrument seperation is out of this world. Its just insane. I could hear someone sneezing in a live recording of Michael Jacksons concert. Not only that I could pin point its exact location. It was about 56 degrees southwest ad about 50 miles away from the concert.
Glad you like those earphones but If you think the Apple in ear's has unreal soundstage try listening to a pair of Sennheiser IE8's, Modified Shure SE530, or Westone 3. Those 3 listed IEM's will blow away Apple in ear's soundstage.
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnvisible View Post
I just threw the PFE in there to at least give the other two some competition, lol. Weren't really looking at getting them that much either.

I just realized though that the IE7s retail for $300...kind of over my budget. Is there anywhere I can get them massively cheaper?

Also, opinions on Turbine?
Sorry I'm not sure where you can find it but you can have the IE7's for about $200-220.
post #10 of 34
Koven is selling his IE7s for $160 (last I lookedm on the FS Forum). Very good deal, but no box and only three sizes of tips, I believe. You can always get the inexpensive Sony hybrid tips, since the Senn tip selection sucks. J&R Music World has them for $189 new, but no refunds (only exchanges) on in-ear phones. Just as an FYI. Turbines are now around the $100 mark at some etailers, including MacMall.
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
Yea, a member on here is selling his used IE7s for $160. Pretty good deal.

I just hate to buy used headphones.

I saw a trusted seller on eBay selling the Monster Turbines for $101. I'm either gonna get those or buy those used IE7.

Swag me people. I'd rather get the Turbines, since they are new and cheaper, but if the IE7s are just that much more amazing, I'd consider.

Still wondering though.
post #12 of 34
Well, I had the Turbines and liked them fine, but didn't need them. I preferred the IE8 sound over the Turbines, for sure, but sold the Senns too, as I prefer the Westone 3s. I would get the Turbines, since they are excellent dynamic phones, and don't lock up too much cash in case you want to upgrade later. On the other hand, the $160 deal is pretty sweet. I never owned the IE7s. Tough call.
post #13 of 34
Though I'm sure you've read it, there's a bit of discussion (padded by a lot of pointless arguing) regarding turbines/pfes/ie7s here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/2...-extra-418181/

Plus, with the J&R deal, sounds like the IE7s are only slightly out of budget...not sure how rigid that budget it, though.
post #14 of 34
I would go with the turbines (you won't be disappointed) or save a little more and get the ie8's.
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by used-2-rap-on-headphones View Post
I would go with the turbines (you won't be disappointed) or save a little more and get the ie8's.
Save a little more?

Turbines: $101
IE8: $319
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Narrowed doing IEM choices to Turbine, IE7, or PFE