New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NuForce UF-30 - Page 3

post #31 of 45
I just wanted to throw my opinion in here. I borrowed one of the UF-30's at the Colorado meet for an hour or so, and gave them a listen. They had been burned in prior to the meet by HPA.

Honestly, I had mixed feelings. They sounded quite good, if I held them in place directly over my ears. The bass was quite good, the treble and detail was also good. They did seem to be a little recessed in the midrange, but not so much that it would be a problem. But because of their folding design, and their lack of springiness, I couldn't keep them positioned correctly over my ears without holding them there. I even tried significant adjustments to the top band, etc.

So, based on my brief encounter with them, I'd rate them an 8 in sound and a 5 in fit (which would decrease the sound rating if you can't get a fit).

Just my two cents. Hopefully others have better luck getting them to fit than I did.
post #32 of 45
They're very fit dependant. I have a pair here that I won (yay! - Thank you Nu-Force!) To be honest, when i first wore them.. I didn't have them in the right place.. and yes.. they sounded terribly recessed.. then I tried moving them about.. and BOOM.. theres the Bass, mids AND treble.. I'm pretty impressed to be honest

Quite a revelation.. and they amp up nicely. Could use a slightly longer cord though
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
I just wanted to throw my opinion in here. I borrowed one of the UF-30's at the Colorado meet for an hour or so, and gave them a listen. They had been burned in prior to the meet by HPA.

Honestly, I had mixed feelings. They sounded quite good, if I held them in place directly over my ears. The bass was quite good, the treble and detail was also good. They did seem to be a little recessed in the midrange, but not so much that it would be a problem. But because of their folding design, and their lack of springiness, I couldn't keep them positioned correctly over my ears without holding them there. I even tried significant adjustments to the top band, etc.

So, based on my brief encounter with them, I'd rate them an 8 in sound and a 5 in fit (which would decrease the sound rating if you can't get a fit).

Just my two cents. Hopefully others have better luck getting them to fit than I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiglester View Post
They're very fit dependant. I have a pair here that I won (yay! - Thank you Nu-Force!) To be honest, when i first wore them.. I didn't have them in the right place.. and yes.. they sounded terribly recessed.. then I tried moving them about.. and BOOM.. theres the Bass, mids AND treble.. I'm pretty impressed to be honest

Quite a revelation.. and they amp up nicely. Could use a slightly longer cord though
Yes, both of you discovered the biggest fault - position is everything for good sound. Most S-logic phones are like that as well. In my case, I have no problem having them stay in the right position, unlike barleyguy. Also, because of my previous experience with the Ultrasone iCans, positioning them on my head properly came natural to me. They work best of the headband rides farther back on the top of the head than normal.
post #34 of 45

Just got a pair!

I've owned HD-595, HD-600, Yamaha, Sony, and even Etymotic phones.

They are more comfortable than the Sennheisers and no social issues associated with open air design. More dynamic than either Sennheiser models that I've owned and better perceived bass.

They have better perceived bass than the Etymotics in-ear design which I thought was impressive.

Highs are clear and extended without sizzle. The perception of air around "objects" in the sound field is nowhere near listening to hi-end audio but is noticeable and better than anything I've previously owned in a headset.

Mid-range is rich and as good as the Sennheisers but not as outstanding as the highs and lows. Maybe the Senns are more even balanced? That being said Diana Krall sounded ravishingly good and lousy recordings were rendered listenable.

Don't buy these phones if you plan to do something other than listen to music! They are in-your-face good in a way that you will want to stop whatever you are doing and listen.

Overall a bargain in hi-end sound. It delivers music for a fraction of the cost of other designs.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahf View Post
I've owned HD-595, HD-600, Yamaha, Sony, and even Etymotic phones.

They are more comfortable than the Sennheisers and no social issues associated with open air design. More dynamic than either Sennheiser models that I've owned and better perceived bass.

They have better perceived bass than the Etymotics in-ear design which I thought was impressive.

Highs are clear and extended without sizzle. The perception of air around "objects" in the sound field is nowhere near listening to hi-end audio but is noticeable and better than anything I've previously owned in a headset.

Mid-range is rich and as good as the Sennheisers but not as outstanding as the highs and lows. Maybe the Senns are more even balanced? That being said Diana Krall sounded ravishingly good and lousy recordings were rendered listenable.

Don't buy these phones if you plan to do something other than listen to music! They are in-your-face good in a way that you will want to stop whatever you are doing and listen.

Overall a bargain in hi-end sound. It delivers music for a fraction of the cost of other designs.
Good feedback. I wasn't brave enough to write my thoughts about them vs my HD600, which when driven by my balanced square wave or WA6 are hands down better. But I suppose the fact that a guy (like me) with $1500 headphones can still enjoy the $79 UF-30 on a $200 tube hybrid amp is also saying a lot.
post #36 of 45
Thread Starter 
Review on 6moons.com
6moons audio reviews: NuForce UF-30

Some highlights of the review:
What alternatives to the UF-30 exist? I tried a lot of portable headphones in this price range. Undoubtedly the UF-30 was the most relaxing and fatigue-free and one of the best for those looking for a deep and large soundstage at a moderate price.


My comment: UF-30 is no doubt a compromise but I like the balance of comfort (I wear it all night working on my desk but still able to hear if my wife yelling at me to help out), very good sound and compact design. There are many occasion that UF-30 can be used outdoor even though over-the-ear design by nature has less isolation. I think most people with family would appreciate the need for not getting cut off from the surrounding when you're listening to music.
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
Sweet, I like the phone on the left. What about the photos with the girl?
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
Review on 6moons.com
6moons audio reviews: NuForce UF-30

Some highlights of the review:
What alternatives to the UF-30 exist? I tried a lot of portable headphones in this price range. Undoubtedly the UF-30 was the most relaxing and fatigue-free and one of the best for those looking for a deep and large soundstage at a moderate price.


My comment: UF-30 is no doubt a compromise but I like the balance of comfort (I wear it all night working on my desk but still able to hear if my wife yelling at me to help out), very good sound and compact design. There are many occasion that UF-30 can be used outdoor even though over-the-ear design by nature has less isolation. I think most people with family would appreciate the need for not getting cut off from the surrounding when you're listening to music.
I finished reading the 6moons review. It seems that they felt the UF-30 sounded the same as what I noted in my review - especially in terms of sound signature, open soundstage, and the ability to pick apart compressed music like an audiophile headphone.

They thought it competes with the SR-60 but liked the more expensive SR-80 better, while I felt the Nuforce were better than SR-60 and closer to the MS-1 (where the soundstage was better on the Nuforce but the MS-1 frequency response was a little more neutral).
post #40 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
weet, I like the phone on the left. What about the photos with the girl?
I assume you're referring to the photos in the 6moons.com review.
I took those photos in Tokyo and Taiwan with models when I was visiting distributors and vendors. I am an aspiring photographer
There are more photos here: Picasa Web Albums - jasonl
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonl View Post
I assume you're referring to the photos in the 6moons.com review.
I took those photos in Tokyo and Taiwan with models when I was visiting distributors and vendors. I am an aspiring photographer
There are more photos here: Picasa Web Albums - jasonl
I thought maybe it was a girlfriend or wife or something.
post #42 of 45
I just picked up the UF30s after auditioning it for the past few weeks at a store near the university where I take my masteral degree. I was in the market for some portable cans and when I was auditioning it all I can say is I was blown away! Very comfortable, warm sound with clear mids and highs. Just how I like it.

I had just sold my Monster Turbines which were annoying me, had issues with it so I needed something with some nice bass extension and portable. Well the UF30s impressed me enough that I had to buy them.

So I got home and pit them against the phone I have which was closest to it in price: the Grado SR60i. And I was mighty disappointed when the Grados kicked the UF30's ass to kingdom come! But I suppose that was to be expected; the UF30s were brand-new out of the box and hadn't been burned in. They actually sounded nothing like what I remembered when I auditioned them. So I will do a rematch in about two days time after the UF30s have had the time to loosen up.

I'm surprised though that 6moons says they compare favorably to the SR60s but fall flat against the SR80s. To be honest there isn't much difference between the two Grados to my ears; in fact I actually like the SR60s more because the trebles and mids are a little more powerful and clearer to me. That the UF30s would do well against the SR60s and just die against the SR80s is weird to me.

Anyway I hope the UF30s improve and kick the Grado's butt in the rematch.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochan View Post
I just picked up the UF30s after auditioning it for the past few weeks at a store near the university where I take my masteral degree. I was in the market for some portable cans and when I was auditioning it all I can say is I was blown away! Very comfortable, warm sound with clear mids and highs. Just how I like it.

I had just sold my Monster Turbines which were annoying me, had issues with it so I needed something with some nice bass extension and portable. Well the UF30s impressed me enough that I had to buy them.

So I got home and pit them against the phone I have which was closest to it in price: the Grado SR60i. And I was mighty disappointed when the Grados kicked the UF30's ass to kingdom come! But I suppose that was to be expected; the UF30s were brand-new out of the box and hadn't been burned in. They actually sounded nothing like what I remembered when I auditioned them. So I will do a rematch in about two days time after the UF30s have had the time to loosen up.

I'm surprised though that 6moons says they compare favorably to the SR60s but fall flat against the SR80s. To be honest there isn't much difference between the two Grados to my ears; in fact I actually like the SR60s more because the trebles and mids are a little more powerful and clearer to me. That the UF30s would do well against the SR60s and just die against the SR80s is weird to me.

Anyway I hope the UF30s improve and kick the Grado's butt in the rematch.
Agreed, the SR-60 are not vastly different from SR-80, but some of the upper mids peak/etch in the SR-60 is removed with the SR-80 and MS-1.

I would give the UF-30 at least 100-150 hours before deciding on whether you like them or not. They do have a slight colored upper mids like SR-60 at times once burned in, but the soundstage will seem more open and deeper, and the ends of the bass and treble will seem a little more tipped up than with the Grados. However, I suspect the UF-30 are also tuned to work well with the Icon Mobile, with they do.
post #44 of 45
Well after letting the UF30s sit in the burn-in chair for about four days I think I can safely say that I love them! They sound more like the pair I auditioned now, which I fell in love with.

I love that deep warm bass extension, I guess I'm just an incurable bass head. They just slightly edge out the SR60 for my preference of use because of my bassy sound preferences. The two are still very different cans and offer very different experiences so I can't clear out say one is better the other, but the Grados definitely do some things better than the UF30s do. I find the SR60s are just clearer; UF30 can be quite veiled in comparison. But the SR60s are still a tad too bright for my general preference, so I end up liking the UF30 more. Still love the SR60s though depending on the music.

I like listening to house, Brazilian music and chill music and the UF30s just fit the bill. They also perform admirably in the other main kinds of music I listen to (grunge/rock/alternative as well as jazz) although I will say the SR60s are sort of better for that.

Ah I am reminded of why I got into this hobby; I just love having different kinds of headphones with different sounds.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochan View Post
Well after letting the UF30s sit in the burn-in chair for about four days I think I can safely say that I love them! They sound more like the pair I auditioned now, which I fell in love with.

I love that deep warm bass extension, I guess I'm just an incurable bass head. They just slightly edge out the SR60 for my preference of use because of my bassy sound preferences. The two are still very different cans and offer very different experiences so I can't clear out say one is better the other, but the Grados definitely do some things better than the UF30s do. I find the SR60s are just clearer; UF30 can be quite veiled in comparison. But the SR60s are still a tad too bright for my general preference, so I end up liking the UF30 more. Still love the SR60s though depending on the music.

I like listening to house, Brazilian music and chill music and the UF30s just fit the bill. They also perform admirably in the other main kinds of music I listen to (grunge/rock/alternative as well as jazz) although I will say the SR60s are sort of better for that.

Ah I am reminded of why I got into this hobby; I just love having different kinds of headphones with different sounds.
I agree, there are some things one may do better than the other. One of these days you should try the MS-1 as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NuForce