Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives... - Page 7

post #91 of 3812
Not sure about 48a, but 48e are designed for 120Ohm output jack, that means without using impedance adapter you do not hear what they are designed to sound like, there will be unintended by manufacturer frequency shift.
post #92 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post
Detailed and focussed bass should be a good thing. But... silence below 60hz (or is your set different?)
Mine (200 ohm version) certainly goes down to about 30 Hz. But there is a noticeable rolloff from 60 Hz down.

EDIT: And that was using my Compass DAC/amp, so with an ordinary 0 ohm output.
post #93 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post
So both highs and bass are lacking. Then what music does it do well, and what's the magic (if you think they do something good?) Maybe the detail is because a lot of sound is missing?
Not necessarily. No headphones reach down to the bottom octaves and very few speakers do, either. My Quads cut off hard around 40Hz, and their bass is quite similar to the DT48. With highs, you don't usually get material that goes all the way up to 20kHz. Further, a lot of people can't even hear 20kHz.

So you don't really miss out on anythin compared to other headphones. I don't know what the secret sauce is for the unreal level of detail. Must have beem something the Beyerdynamic engineers have cooked up over the years. Whatever they've done, it is one of the most revealing drivers on this planet.

For whoever wanted parts, contact Beyerdynamic and ask them. It's been awhile, but I rember emailin them and getting a response directing me to where I could order replacement pads and a new cord. If you're looking for drivers, there was a pair on eBay last time I looked.
post #94 of 3812
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Not sure about 48a, but 48e are designed for 120Ohm output jack, that means without using impedance adapter you do not hear what they are designed to sound like, there will be unintended by manufacturer frequency shift.
Yes I was wondering about that after reading it on the specs last night...
I'm really hoping that is the case , and would explain the difference of opinion
on bass.

Also I'm just running out of a sound card direct , the DT48e definitely needs more juice than it can provide .

Just out of interest, where is the best place to buy such an adapter of a very high quality ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drosera View Post
In a way I actually think neither are lacking. It just very refreshing to finally hear a headphone that doesn't exaggerate both ends of the frequency spectrum. Certainly the bass is some of the finest I've ever heard, for me this is the ideal 'closed headphone bass'. Detailed, focussed and perfectly in proportion to the rest of the frequency range.
Excellent news , this means I have a sound improvment to look foward to when I get better gear in the coming months, it is already the best I have ever had .. it must get mind blowing with a nice dac and amp and 120 ohm adapter ..
post #95 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post
Detailed and focussed bass should be a good thing. But... silence below 60hz (or is your set different?)
It's something you need to hear for yourself.. Like a lot of owners have stated, with the 48s, the music just sounds right.
post #96 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
Yes I was wondering about that after reading it on the specs last night...
I'm really hoping that is the case , and would explain the difference of opinion
on bass.

Also I'm just running out of a sound card direct , the DT48e definitely needs more juice than it can provide .

Just out of interest, where is the best place to buy such an adapter of a very high quality ?



Excellent news , this means I have a sound improvment to look foward to when I get better gear in the coming months, it is already the best I have ever had .. it must get mind blowing with a nice dac and amp and 120 ohm adapter ..
I laugh when people say low ohm headphones that are very sensitive won't benefit from better amplification. Notice difference between my receiver and portable CDP. Performs better during complex passages..More clarity, more bass oommmph..Fuller sound. And these are my 5ohm 48a.. And just to add to the legend, Without any sound from my receiver, I have to really crank the volume on high, before I notice a small miss.. Some of my higher ohm headphones don't perform this good. I really believe these 48s are between high end and ultra hi end.. Like the K1000, HP-2, Q10, but what do I know.. I'm a crazed 48 fan boy.

I do have a 120ohm adapter I use on my 48e 8ohm..It betters the sound, but I don't like the trade off.. Slightly less detail and clarity..But is more musical with a touch of warmth.
post #97 of 3812
Any difference between the 48s 5ohm & 48s 25ohm?
post #98 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk View Post
Does anyone know what department at Beyerdynamic to talk to about buying a set of drivers for the DT-48 E?

Also would anyone be willing (if they don't already exist) to take picture of it inside and out with a ruler next to it? How is the driver mounted, what if any stuffing is used, what is the interior space like, etc, etc?

Working on a project for the summer. All I'll say for now is like a tank.
you can e-mail Beyer USA (if you are in the states) and they will send you a parts /price list, and an order form which you print out and mail in. At least that was how they handled it two years ago.
post #99 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
Yes I was wondering about that after reading it on the specs last night...
I'm really hoping that is the case , and would explain the difference of opinion
on bass.

Also I'm just running out of a sound card direct , the DT48e definitely needs more juice than it can provide .

Just out of interest, where is the best place to buy such an adapter of a very high quality ?



Excellent news , this means I have a sound improvment to look foward to when I get better gear in the coming months, it is already the best I have ever had .. it must get mind blowing with a nice dac and amp and 120 ohm adapter ..
An adapter isn't necessary - find an amp capable of driving your headphones and you'll be fine. I encourage you to find a good tube amp, if possible. The DT48 on a Zana is nothing short of glorious. And you don't have to stick with digital, either. I love using the DT48 with vinyl. It will show up flaws, but a clean record on a decent rig is just amazing. It's like there's nothing between you and the music.
post #100 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
An adapter isn't necessary
It isn't necessary, but if you manage to find an affordable one it's worthwhile to experiment with it.
post #101 of 3812
Yes.
post #102 of 3812
Thread Starter 
So let me get this straight because I'm currently shopping for an amp ...
and I'm a total noob as far as amp knowledge goes..

The beyerdynamic website says nominal impedance 120 ohms ...

So I should find an amp that outputs 120 ohms as an option in order to match
to get the flattest response possible as they intended it ?

So I need something that has 120 ohm output , totally flat not warm or cold ...

any suggestions , I'm not really interested in tube amplifiers at this time ..

around the $500 US would be preferred nothing fancy.

Thanks.
post #103 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
So let me get this straight because I'm currently shopping for an amp ...
and I'm a total noob as far as amp knowledge goes..

The beyerdynamic website says nominal impedance 120 ohms ...

So I should find an amp that outputs 120 ohms as an option in order to match
to get the flattest response possible as they intended it ?

So I need something that has 120 ohm output , totally flat not warm or cold ...

any suggestions , I'm not really interested in tube amplifiers at this time ..

around the $500 US would be preferred nothing fancy.

Thanks.
For the extra information I'll just quote myself from the DT-48 appreciation thread:
Quote:
There's something else that's starting to make sense with the new cable too, and that's the 120 ohm output, for which these headphones were made. I have a Meier-Audio Corda Opera that has both 0 and 120 ohm outputs, but when I used to try out the 120 ohm output before recabling it just sounded murky and badly controlled to me. Now however, I really like it better than the 0 ohm output. From the 120 ohm it doesn't really sound less detailed, but the detail sounds more organic and integrated in the music. The sound also becomes more fluid and musical. Instrument separation however is reduced a little.

Of course, YMMV depending on your taste and transparency of source and amp.
So, that's basically it. You don't need tubes to make them sing, you can use an 120 ohm output too. (Mind you, I'm a SS guy.) But there is an "apparent" loss of detail, which you may not like (although in my view, it just makes the detail less obvious).

As far as I know, Jan Meier is the only one making an amp that comes with a 120 ohm output as standard. Can I interest you in the Symphony? Just 1310 USD. I'm sure buying or making a simple adapter to convert 0 ohm to 120 ohm output is much more affordable. Don't know where you can easily find a good one though.
post #104 of 3812
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drosera View Post
For the extra information I'll just quote myself from the DT-48 appreciation thread:


So, that's basically it. You don't need tubes to make them sing, you can use an 120 ohm output too. (Mind you, I'm a SS guy.) But there is an "apparent" loss of detail, which you may not like (although in my view, it just makes the detail less obvious).

As far as I know, Jan Meier is the only one making an amp that comes with a 120 ohm output as standard. Can I interest you in the Symphony? Just 1310 USD. I'm sure buying or making a simple adapter to convert 0 ohm to 120 ohm output is much more affordable. Don't know where you can easily find a good one though.
Hee Hee, I think the symphony is a tad out out my league .....
I see they don't make the opera anymore ?

...So does adding an adapter literally change the output impedance of the source to whatever the adapter is ?

If So, as you said, it sounds easier to buy a nice 0 ohm output amp and then buy a real high quality adapter for 120 ohm.. any disadvantage to that tactic ?

Thanks for your help.

ps: this is what I would want, correct..? .. http://apuresound.com/ra.html
post #105 of 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
Hee Hee, I think the symphony is a tad out out my league .....
I see they don't make the opera anymore ?
No, it was discontinued some time ago. Replaced by the Symphony. Anyways, I would advise against getting a Corda amp for rock. At least, based on my Opera's performance. (I love it, but it's not a fast, PRaT-ty amp.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
...So does adding an adapter literally change the output impedance of the source to whatever the adapter is ?

If So, as you said, it sounds easier to buy a nice 0 ohm output amp and then buy a real high quality adapter for 120 ohm.. any disadvantage to that tactic ?

Thanks for your help.

ps: this is what I would want, correct..? .. APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.
I guess those should work. A bit pricey though, those plugs and connectors are only few dollars, add a few resistors and some heatshrink... Would be better to find a simple schematic so you can do it yourself. (And if you come across it, I would be very grateful for it too.)
Also, they seem to only have output to a mini-connector, since they're apparently made with IEMs in mind.

EDIT: There's some info in impedance adaptors here. I guess you basically have to find out what the right value for the resistor should be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...