Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE - Page 152

post #2266 of 2628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmatin View Post

any portable electrostatic amp available to carry around?

Realiser A8 + portable electrostatic amp + SR-009?

 

What does "portable" imply?

 

The Realiser requires 120V power, so you can't carry it around with you and use it "while running" or "at the gym".  There is no "portable" version of the Realiser.

 

The SR-009 is hardly "ear buds", and it's oiginal wood case is more like luggage if you wanted to travel with it.  Would you really check your $5K headphones with your luggage?

 

The matching Stax headphone amps (e.g. SRM-007tii or SRM-727) are about the same physical size as the headphones that go with them, as is its carton.  And again, would you take a chance checking a $2K amp as luggage?

 

Most importantly is the "open" nature of the SR-009, meaning all outside ambient noise in your listening environment will come right through into what your ears hear.  Also, anybody outside your headphones but in the same listening environment with you will hear LOTS of sound, almost as if you were wearing speakers on your head.  Use of open electrostatic headphones is not intended for (a) a noisy environment, or (b) an environment with other people around.

 

So exactly what are your "specs" for portability and its use?

post #2267 of 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsperber View Post

 

What does "portable" imply?

 

The Realiser requires 120V power, so you can't carry it around with you and use it "while running" or "at the gym".  There is no "portable" version of the Realiser.

 

The SR-009 is hardly "ear buds", and it's oiginal wood case is more like luggage if you wanted to travel with it.  Would you really check your $5K headphones with your luggage?

 

The matching Stax headphone amps (e.g. SRM-007tii or SRM-727) are about the same physical size as the headphones that go with them, as is its carton.  And again, would you take a chance checking a $2K amp as luggage?

 

Most importantly is the "open" nature of the SR-009, meaning all outside ambient noise in your listening environment will come right through into what your ears hear.  Also, anybody outside your headphones but in the same listening environment with you will hear LOTS of sound, almost as if you were wearing speakers on your head.  Use of open electrostatic headphones is not intended for (a) a noisy environment, or (b) an environment with other people around.

 

So exactly what are your "specs" for portability and its use?

 

Hi thanks for the info.

 

i travel frequently and stay overseas for over months. i thought i could experience this kind of sound in my travelling place as well.

 

in my case, i wont be staying home forever :(, i fly around.

 

i would carry them in my luggage, thats why i wanted something less in weight, regardless of size.

 

SR-009 is about 1kg with wire give or take.. realiser maximum 2kgs. and the amp is the problem.. that comes over 6kg.. im looking for something around 3kg.

 

i travel in business class, i assume that my luggage would be safe. or i would make a claim from the airlines.

post #2268 of 2628

Koss E/90 is speced at 17 oz/482 gm, needs the wall wart too, may double the weight

 

 

just taking the whole Koss ESP/950 system is probably better than risking the 009 - but seeing the look on faces when you plug a 009 into a E/90 with a hacked Stax adapter cable...


Edited by jcx - 2/17/13 at 8:05pm
post #2269 of 2628

SR-009+SRM-252S in pelican case? Never tried the pair mind you, but even there will be very little headroom, you should still be able to make it plenty loud (the 009 doesn't need much voltage to feel loud because of its tonal characteristics).

post #2270 of 2628

Thanks for the suggestion. im still doing research on it.

 

So far i have this setup.

 

Sony Vaio SVZ (1.1kg) -> CHORD QuteHD DAC (400grams) / HDMI -> Realiser ->  AMP ( ????) -> SR-009

 

finalized on SR-009 for my travel setup.

 

Just need the amp that can drive SR-009 .

So far im looking @

E/90

SRM-252S

 

Or drop Sr-009 and go for dynamic like HD800 and other amp.
 

 

More suggestions welcome.

 

Thanks again for helping me out.

post #2271 of 2628

placed my order for SR-009 & SRM-727A.

 

i guess for travelling i'll buy SRM-252S. so i can compare the difference between those 2 amps.

 

Problem solved.

post #2272 of 2628

so with Realiser A8 + SRM-727A+ SR-009 , i get perfect surround sound for movies right? 

im really new to this category, i hope im not spending my hard earned money on something that disappoints.

i want things to be perfect and well spent.

post #2273 of 2628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmatin View Post

so with Realiser A8 + SRM-727A+ SR-009 , i get perfect surround sound for movies right? 

im really new to this category, i hope im not spending my hard earned money on something that disappoints.

i want things to be perfect and well spent.

 

Don't forget to arrange for a visit to AIX for a personal measurement reflecting your own ears, to produce the correct PRIR for that superb listening room.  It is really the PRIR that determines playback sound quality, i.e. what the original listening room itself sounded like to your own ears.

 

You need to have a superb personally measured PRIR in the Realiser to begin with, in order to be able to play movies back as if you were once again in that exact same superb listening room.  The generic pre-provided PRIR is not YOUR PRIR.

 

Once you have that wonderful AIX PRIR (along with the HPEQ for your SR-009/SRM-727a, or the HPEQ for your SR-009/SRM-252s... though I don't know if the sound quality with this less lesser amp will be exactly the same) you can now "take the AIX room with you as you travel".

 

NOTE: obviously there are MANY home theater and listening room environments (both multi-channel and 2-channel) that are superb, and getting a PRIR created in any of them would produce wonderful playback results.  I only mention AIX because it's uniquely wonderful.  What is crucial is that you get a PRIR for your own ears measured in some very good environment, which will then allow playback through that PRIR to replicate that listening experience.

post #2274 of 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsperber View Post

NOTE: obviously there are MANY home theater and listening room environments (both multi-channel and 2-channel) that are superb, and getting a PRIR created in any of them would produce wonderful playback results.  I only mention AIX because it's uniquely wonderful.  What is crucial is that you get a PRIR for your own ears measured in some very good environment, which will then allow playback through that PRIR to replicate that listening experience.

Also if you're going to AIX, make a side trip down to San Diego. I have lots of great systems available for measurement.

post #2275 of 2628
Has anyone taken their speakers outside for a PRIR? I have a pair of Gallo Reference 3.1's but don't have an ideal listening room anymore (hence the need for the Realiser).
post #2276 of 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsperber View Post

 

What does "portable" imply?

 

The Realiser requires 120V power, so you can't carry it around with you and use it "while running" or "at the gym".  There is no "portable" version of the Realiser.

 

The SR-009 is hardly "ear buds", and it's oiginal wood case is more like luggage if you wanted to travel with it.  Would you really check your $5K headphones with your luggage?

 

The matching Stax headphone amps (e.g. SRM-007tii or SRM-727) are about the same physical size as the headphones that go with them, as is its carton.  And again, would you take a chance checking a $2K amp as luggage?

 

Most importantly is the "open" nature of the SR-009, meaning all outside ambient noise in your listening environment will come right through into what your ears hear.  Also, anybody outside your headphones but in the same listening environment with you will hear LOTS of sound, almost as if you were wearing speakers on your head.  Use of open electrostatic headphones is not intended for (a) a noisy environment, or (b) an environment with other people around.

 

So exactly what are your "specs" for portability and its use?

You don't need to carry the realizer, you could record the output and put the .flac on your portable player.

post #2277 of 2628
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post

You don't need to carry the realizer, you could record the output and put the .flac on your portable player.

 

He probably wants to use it to listen to and watch movies (probably BluRay disc from a player) while away, not listen to music.

post #2278 of 2628
Well he could do the same with some editing software, probably too much work though.

Edited by BoogieWoogie - 2/18/13 at 11:02pm
post #2279 of 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmatin View Post

so with Realiser A8 + SRM-727A+ SR-009 , i get perfect surround sound for movies right? 

im really new to this category, i hope im not spending my hard earned money on something that disappoints.

i want things to be perfect and well spent.

I want to recommend that you contact Darinf especially if you are interested in listening to audiophile music recordings.  The AIX stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 I have are excellent for surround movies.  However, I find them rather dry and uninteresting for music.  Darin has access to some rooms with considerably higher end speakers than AIX, and more attention to listening in the room rather than mastering.  What this means is a bit more ambiance, and also, that the dealer or manufacturer is more focussed on audiophile music reproduction than surround sound movie playing.

post #2280 of 2628

Having now read most of the thread, and the many of excellent reviews of this product I made the trip last weekend to Glen Poor Audio in Champaign for some measurements and to order.  I've purchased with the intent of using it mostly for 2 ch audio (Fostex 900, Bryston amp, PWD MK II, Mac Mini/Audinirvana) however I plan on using it as a platform to start investigating multi channel audio.  With that in mind, it seems that many use the Panasonic BDT320 with good success.  As there are many more SACD options for multi channel music does anyone have a recommendation or experience using a SACD via HDMI as a source for 5/1 and 7/1 music?

 

Thanks!

 

FWIW Glen Poors place was amazing.  Can highly recommend it for anyone looking in the area...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE