Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE - Page 11

post #151 of 2618
Read the licence page too! It says that svs could be incorporated into recievers, dvd players wireless phones.. This could end up being a less expensive way to get svs. Would it not be cool to have a blu-ray player with all the hardware built-in.. you could have a one-box home theater solution with a minimum of cables. Still the svs box is cool as it is. I wish they would have bundled the the next better Stax system with the unit.. the SR3050II system as that seems to get better reviews and is recommended as a worthwhile upgrade in view of the moderate extra cost
post #152 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
Read the licence page too! It says that svs could be incorporated into recievers, dvd players wireless phones.. This could end up being a less expensive way to get svs. Would it not be cool to have a blu-ray player with all the hardware built-in.. you could have a one-box home theater solution with a minimum of cables. Still the svs box is cool as it is. I wish they would have bundled the the next better Stax system with the unit.. the SR3050II system as that seems to get better reviews and is recommended as a worthwhile upgrade in view of the moderate extra cost
Since the Smyth folks developed DTS, I'm sure they are looking at licensing the technology down the road. (The first SVS product was originally going to be a SVS box from a licensee - Yamaha).

On the Stax headphones, I think you can still buy the SVS without the 'phones at a $400 discount. Then you could get the SR 3050 II or something further up the Stax line.
post #153 of 2618
My last email from Lorr said they'd only sell the Realiser bundled with the Stax 2050 package. Granted that was back around April 30th so they may have changed their policy since then.
post #154 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
My last email from Lorr said they'd only sell the Realiser bundled with the Stax 2050 package. Granted that was back around April 30th so they may have changed their policy since then.
Hmm, I guess we'll have to check and see what the current story is.
post #155 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
...On the Stax headphones, I think you can still buy the SVS without the 'phones at a $400 discount...
Interesting. Given that I already have too many headphones and amplifiers, this is an intriguing option. Can anyone confirm?
post #156 of 2618

Processor settings?

While daydreaming about the Realiser, I stumbled upon a possible issue I hadn't considered before. When using the Realiser in conjunction with a surround sound processor/receiver, what speaker settings should be used in the surround sound processor? I'm particularly concerned with the case of calibrating the Realiser in some high-end audio room and then trying to integrate the system into my own lowly home theater. Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser? Should one switch to some type of "source direct" output when using the Realiser, and then switch back to the usual home theater settings when using one's speakers? Do any processors even offer such an option?
post #157 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
When using the Realiser in conjunction with a surround sound processor/receiver, what speaker settings should be used in the surround sound processor?
The website mentions that the Realiser offers "extensive level, EQ, delay, crossover and bass management controls." These settings can be configured in the Realiser or in your processor. For example, you could configure your processor to add 2ms of delay to the surround channels, and configure the Realiser to add another 3ms of delay, for a combined delay of 5ms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser?
The settings for your current system will be applied to the signals, and they might not work well for the other system, so you might want to use different settings in your processor (or bypass them, if possible) while you are using the Realiser.
post #158 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post
...The settings for your current system will be applied to the signals, and they might not work well for the other system, so you might want to use different settings in your processor (or bypass them, if possible) while you are using the Realiser...
Ah, as I suspected, which is the only way that makes sense, I suppose. Thanks for confirming!
post #159 of 2618
My dental insurance changed on 1/1/09 and now $7000 in dental work over the next 6 months means no SVS for me soon (not without selling some beloved gear and getting a loan from the dentist). Bah! Even if I didn't crack two teeth that got infected with bone loss, I have two teenagers who now need braces.
post #160 of 2618
Yikes! I hope the dental works goes (has gone?) okay!

On the bright side, maybe the Realiser will drop in price over the next 6 months.
post #161 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser?
There might be another issue to consider. If you are using a receiver, and your speakers are driven by the receiver's amplifier (as opposed to a separate amplifier that you can turn off), and the receiver's pre-amp outputs are feeding into the Realiser, then you will have to disconnect your speakers while you are using the Realiser, or else you will hear your speakers at the same time.
post #162 of 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post
There might be another issue to consider. If you are using a receiver, and your speakers are driven by the receiver's amplifier (as opposed to a separate amplifier that you can turn off), and the receiver's pre-amp outputs are feeding into the Realiser, then you will have to disconnect your speakers while you are using the Realiser, or else you will hear your speakers at the same time.
Some people have a speaker A/B on off switch (or similar) and can turn off the speakers without turning off the pre-amp out or headphone jack of the receiver.
post #163 of 2618
If you hit "mute" on the receiver/processor, does that also mute the pre-amp out? I thought volume control (and muting) usually had no effect on line-outs.
post #164 of 2618
If it is possible to not have to buy the Stax and get a small discount, I'm thinking go all out and snag an HD800, balanced cable, and a Headroom BUDA and bring that to Dr. AIX's studio. There goes my yearly toy budget
post #165 of 2618
Mr. Smyth told me he would knock off $400 if I omitted the Stax, since my O2 Mk1/GES was better than what it comes with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE